What You Need

02

Ryan had a unique way of making me smile, especially when I didn't want to. Or if I really wasn't up to it, but yet, I found myself smiling more when I was around him.

"I think you really are a vampire." Ryan said taking my hand,

"And why is that?"

"You're extreamly cold and it's warm in here. And you never sleep-"

"But I eat. You've seen me do that." although before I met him I didn't eat much.

"Hmm, but-"

"I do sleep, just not well." I said with a smirk.

"Why?" he said leaning closer, I assumed he was examining the dark circles under my eyes

"I don't know, I mean I don't wake up with violent nightmares or anything like that. I'm just still tired when I wake up."

"Have you always slept that way?

"No Dr.," I said sarcasticaly, he frowned at me, but started to laugh

"I was just wondering." he said looking around sheepishly.

"No, I did used to sleep better. I just don't now, I could blame my job." he smiled at me, but it didn't reach his eyes

"Will you go out with me tonight, like for dinner?"

"We're already out Ryan." I said sipping at my hot chocolate.

"But it's day time." I smiled "Dinner tonight?"

"Sure."

"7:00?"

"Sure, sure." I smiled

"I've got to get back to work, I'll pick you up." he grinned and squeezed my hand, that I hadn't realized that he had taken hold of. How long had he been holding it? I had no clue, but a part of me liked it so I didn't protest in any way. The smile reached his eyes this time as he left, and went back behind the counter at the resturant.

-------------------------

For maybe the second time in my life, I couldn't decide what I wanted to wear. I had narrowed it down to 3 outfits, one was basically saying 'I am yours for the taking'. So I decided no, the other was saying 'peek-a-boo'. I decided no on that too, and the other said 'it's just dinner'. I went with the 'just dinner' dress, for in fact that's all it was. Ryan didn't say it was a date, just dinner, and said he'd pick me up. Friends going out to eat at night time, that's all. But even with this realization, there was some part of me that wanted it to be more than 'just friends'. There was also an even bigger part that didn't want us to be more than friends. Traveled that road before, and I don't intend on going down it again. No matter how perfect he may seem. I slipped on the black dress, and some shoes that were just as casual. I pulled my hair back into a semi-messy bun, I smiled at myself in the full body mirror as my doorbell rang.

"Hello." I said as I opened the door. Ryan had on a pair of black jeans, and a button up blue shirt. A pair of striped vans, it made me feel like I was in highschool again. Those days were better.

"Hey." he smiled. We walked to his car quietly, he opened the door for me. And he went around to the drivers side, the car was nice. And totaly wasn't his,

"This is not your car."

"Well, of course. Walking is more healthy, and my car is a peice of crap."

"Well thank you for thinking of me enough to borrow a car with a heating." I smirked, he smiled in return. Dinner was interesting, we went to a resturant that was a jazz club at the same time. Ryan seemed to be into the music, but still managed to make my cheeks warm when he stared at me.

"Do you like music Carol?" he asked as our drinks came.

"I used to." I sighed looking at the stage.

"Why?"

"That was nicer time in my life." I looked up, he knew to stop inquiring after that. That doesn't mean he always would.

"I love music." He stated simply admiring the drummer as he played a soft solo. I watched him as the crooner stepped up to the mic.

She may be weary, women do get weary. Wearing the same shabby dress, and when she's weary.
Try a little tenderness.
She may be waiting, just anticipating. Things she may never posess, while she's without them.
Try a little tenderness.


I smiled at the crooner, who seemed to understand his words exactly. I didn't realize that Ryan had stood up and stuck his hand out to dance. And we danced, we weren't the only couple. But I doubt that would've really mattered. He held me tightly, I guess hoping I wouldn't run away. I looked up into his eyes, they were serious. And for once I felt comfortable, and layed my head on his shoulder. We danced through the next song the crooner sang, we probably would've danced through another song but our food came.

"Come home with me for Thanksgiving." Ryan blurted

"That's next week," I said contemplating how to start my meal

"I know, it's not that far. And you said you weren't going home until Christmas. And-"

"Ok." I smiled

"Really?"

"Yes." He smiled and started to eat.
I don't know what had gotten into me, normally I was not to keen on family time. Even with my own family, but now I was going to meet his. I wonder what my introduction would be.