To Mend a Frozen Heart

Chapter 6

To Mend a Frozen Heart

Chapter 6

I woke up on the cold frozen floor of my room ice spread around my body. I was tired and scared but I had to work or I would get fired. I slipped on a long sleeve blue turtleneck with black pants and my blue gloves that August had retrieved for me. I walked quickly out the door past Anna who was cooking breakfast. My black boots clicked against the ground as I walked towards the school. “Wait up Eliza!” Mary called out from behind me. I stopped turning towards her pulling my hands tighter into my body. “Wow, I didn’t think you would actually wait,” She smiled as we walked together towards the school.

“Why wouldn’t I wait?” I asked coldly as she shrugged her shoulders.

“So how are you, yesterday was a little crazy,” she said laughing nervously.

“Nothing a little sleep couldn’t fix,” I said fake smiling. “So, how are you and David doing?” I asked as her eyes widened.

“How do you know about that?” She gasped stopping me on the sidewalk out front of the school.

“Easy girl I just heard some gossip but you confirmed it, make sure no one else finds out it could get nasty,” I warned her before moving up the steps to the school.

The students we excited discussing the story of my sister and I as I walked into the classroom they all quieted down. “I want you to open your scripts to page 56 and read line 7-10 on the page, look up when you are done,” I told them as I grabbed the marker to write things on the board. I turned around a minute later to see the students looking at me waiting patiently.

“Can someone read it allowed please?” I asked pointing at Henry when his hand flew into the air.

“Don’t you understand Anna, I’m a monster and all I will do is harm people. Just go back down the mountain and leave me hear alone,” Henry spoke confidently.

“What emotion is Elsa showing in her words is it anger, sadness, or worry?” I asked the class pointing to each word on the board.

Class went by smoothly with no problems as we broke down the script of The Snow Queen. I walked out into the halls to see Mary Margaret on the phone. I walked over to her as Kathryn bursts through the doors of the school bumping into the gym teacher on the way in.

“I’m. . . I’m sorry,” Mary Margret said but Kathryn slapped her across the face.

“Screw you, you’re sorry,” Kathryn said sternly.

“Woah, this is a school Kathryn and I don’t care what beef you have with Mary Margret you have no right to slap her here,” I said defending Mary Margret.

“You shut your mouth you ice cold bitch,’ Kathryn snapped out as I pulled back some.

“I understand you’re upset. You have every right to be,” Mary Margret spoke calmly.

“Thank you for the insight,” Kathryn snapped.

“Can we. . . Can we please talk somewhere private?” Mary Margret asked.

“Private? Why do you get any consideration at all? You have shown none for me - either of you. All you did was lie,” Kathryn spoke lowly.

“Are you taking your anger out on David? No? That’s what I thought you are just angry because he doesn’t love you anymore and you are angered by that fact,” I said defending Mary Margret.

“I told you to shut it Eliza, now if you don’t leave I will personally have you fired,” Kathryn threatened.

“I’d like to see you try,” I said getting in her face.

“Oh just wait and see,” Kathryn finished as I scoffed.

“Eliza please,” Mary Margret pleaded as I backed off. “We should have told you sooner, but we’ve been completely honest. We didn’t lie,” Mary Margret said to Kathryn.

“You didn’t lie? You snuck around. You had him break up my marriage with a pack of lies. With some crap about not being able to connect? He didn’t have any trouble connecting with you,” Kathryn replied full of anger.

“David didn’t tell you about us?” Mary Margret asked in disbelief.

“No, of course not. That would have been the honorable thing to do.”

“But, he said he would tell you,” Mary Margret said not wanting to believe it.

“Well, then he lied to you, too. Good luck making it work. You two deserve each other. And you Eliza be waiting for that phone call,” Kathryn said before walking off.

“Don’t listen to her she is probably lying,” I said to Mary Margret who was crying softly.

“No she is right, about everything,” She said before leaving.

“That’s what I get for helping,” I sighed heading towards the Granny’s to find August.

I walked down the sidewalk quickly to get to the diner before August but when I rounded the corner I saw Emma sliding on the back of August’s bike and riding off past me, august not even looking at me as Emma gave me a nod.

I continue walking towards the diner my attitude taking a turn for the worst as my hands start to get cold again. “He took interest in a different girl today, sorry Eliza,” Granny said clasping my shoulder lightly but she pulled pack quickly because of the coldness. “Wow, you are freezing! get inside and I’ll get you a hot chocolate,” Granny
ordered as I walked in the diner.

I sat in the diner watching people pass in and out of the door until it was time to close and Anna was ready to leave. We walked quietly for a while before Anna broke the silence. “Do you like August Booth?”

“I don’t know Anna- I mean Anne, I just met the guy. You can’t love some one you just met,” I sighed as she shook her head.

“You can if it is true love,” Anna smiled before stopping me in the street.

“What do you know about true love,” I said looking up at her.

“I know that August doesn’t like Emma he is just trying to help her and there is this special way he looks at you when you pass by, it’s like he has known you for years and he has been madly in love with you ever since you met,” She smiled spinning around on the side walk.

“And I think you are delusional now lets go home Anne,” I sighed as we continued walking.

“ELSA!” I heard someone yell behind me causing me to turn around to see August running towards me.

“What do you want,” I said coldly.

“I was hoping to catch you before Granny’s closed be I was later than I expected,” August said as Anna waved at me before she continued walking.

“Have a nice date with Emma?” I asked looking at him.

“It wasn’t a date but glad to know you are jealous,” He smiled as I scoffed.

“I’m not jealous, it’s just been a boring yet crazy day,” I said trying to find the words to explain my day.

“How was it crazy?” He asked moving slightly closer to me.

“Well Kathryn, David’s um ex fiancé or whatever threaten to have me fired so I’m just waiting for the phone call she told me I was getting,” I smiled looking at him.

“And why did she threaten you?”

“I defended Mary Margret and her behind the scenes action with David,” I sighed.

“Maybe your heart is melting if you are protecting people,” August smiled at me.

“Yeah maybe you are helping me in some way,” i smiled shyly pushing my hair behind my ear.

“I know it’s late but since you are getting fired tomorrow anyway, you can come with me. I have found the perfect place for you to release your pent up aggression,” August said as I raised an eyebrow.

“Are you trying to get me into your bed?” I asked looking at him.

“No, but that was a good pick up line,” August smiled pulling me behind him towards the woods.