My Goal Is to Deny Yours

One

Rachael's POV
"And with the first overall pick in the 2013 NHL draft the New Jersey Devils select Rachael Brodeur."
I sat there dumbstruck. Had they just said my name? I stood up and my dad wrapped me in a bone crushing hug. I was going to be a goalie with the New Jersey Devils along side my dad. It was a dream come true. I smiled and walked up to the stage and took my jersey and slipped it over my black sweetheart neckline dress. I finally did it. I was in the NHL. I walked back and took my seat beside my dad and smiled at him.
"I did it." I said happily
"I knew you would." He said and kissed my cheek.

September 2013
It was the first game of the regular season against Pittsburgh and I wasn't sure if my dad or me was going to be in the net tonight. I walked downstairs and saw my dad and step mom laughing about something.
"Good luck tonight Rach." Genevieve smiled an I looked at her with confusion.
"You're going to be in the net tonight." My dad smiled.
"NO WAY!" I smiled while they laughed.
"Let's go." My dad said and him Genevieve got into the Escalade while I got in my Rang Rover and drove to the Prudential Center. My dad and I grabbed our hockey bags out of the back and walked into the locker room together.
"Are you nervous?" I heard a voice ask and I turned to see Jaromir Jagr looking at me.
"A few butterflies" I smiled. "But this is what I signed up for." I laughed.
"Don't worry you'll do good. You're a Broudeur." He smiled and so did I. I walked out to the entrance to the rink and waited for my cue to go out while holding my helmet in my gloved hand. I was going to make my dad proud and show that hockey world that a woman can do just as much as a man.
"AND HERE ARE YOUR NEW JERSEY DEVILLLLLLLLLLLLLS!" The announcer said and I skated out with my dad right behind me. I skated a few laps and caught sight of the NHL golden boy Sidney Crosby. We passed each other and locked eyes and he gave me a small smile and I returned it. He was gorgeous. I could see how all the girls swooned over him but I had a mission tonight. I had to beat him. I just had to. I put my helmet on and skated over to the net and blocked some of the guys practice shots. I didn't let one through and I could tell that this was going to be a good night. It was finally time for the puck to drop and Sidney and Bryce skated out to center ice for the face off and I waited in the net for the game to begin.

It was the third period and the score was 1-0. I hadn't let a goal in yet and there was only one minute left in the game. I watched as Sidney got the puck off a turnover of Jaromir and started to skate towards me. I got in position and looked at how the puck was coming towards the net. I then stood there while he shot at the empty net above my shoulder. Big mistake Sid. I brought my hand up and stopped it in mid air. The ref blew the whistle and Sidney just stood there shocked with his eyes wide and mouth open. I bet he wasn't used to that happening especially with a rookie goaltender. I smiled and tossed the puck to the ref. Then after I blocked Sidney's shot I blocked Malkin, Letang, and Neal's shots. The final horn sounded and the game was finally over. My first NHL game and I had gotten a shut out. All the guys from the Devils came over and gave me a hug and congratulated me on my shut out. I then saw two white jerseys skating over to me.
"I just wanted to say that you're an amazing goalie." Sidney said with a smile and I blushed.
"Thanks." I smiled.
"You rookie right?" Evgeni Malkin asked with his Russian accent.
"Yep." I smiled
"Wow." He said amazed
"What can I say, I had a great teacher." I smiled and looked at my dad skating over to me.
"Great job sweetie." He smiled and kissed my cheek. "Geno, Sid" he greeted with a smile.
"Martin" they said simultaneously with a smile.
"I was thinking about going out and celebrating do you guys want to come?" I asked Geno and Sid.
"I have meeting with Mario." Geno said sadly.
"I'll go" Sid smiled.
"Okay let me get changed. Meet me on the Devils bench." I said.
"Okay" he said an him and Geno skated towards the visitors locker room while my dad and I skated toward ours.
"First NHL game and my little girl gets a shut out." My dad said almost in tears.
"Awwww, dad." I said and gave him a hug. "I'll always be your little girl." I smiled.
"We walked into the locker room and changed and then parted ways. I walked back out to the rink and saw Sidney sitting on the bench scrolling through his phone looking rather dapper in a suit.
"Wow. I'm impressed. Not bad Crosby." I said with a smile looking at him from head to toe. He then stood up and then laid eyes on me. I was wearing a navy form fitting dress with a sweetheart neckline paired with black Christian Louboutin heels.
"Wow." He said while his eyes roamed my body.
"Thanks?" I said with a laugh
"Oh uh you don't look too bad yourself." He blushed while he stammered.
"Well shall we?" I smiled.
"We shall." He smiled and held his arm out for me and I wrapped mine around his. I felt like a princess as we walked out to my Range Rover.
"You too?" He asked with a smile and I looked at him with a confused look. "The Range Rover, I have one too." He smiled while looking at the pearl white SUV.
"Oh yeah." I laughed and got into the drivers side. And drove to a small sports bar on the other side of town.
"So where are we going?" He asked
"Don't worry about it." I said
"Are you going to murder me or something? Isn't that what they usually saw in the movies before you know...... Murder someone?" He laughed
"Oh definitely. I'm really going to murder the leagues leading scorer so I don't have to worry about him scoring on me." I laughed. "Wait the sounded wrong." I laughed ad so did he. We arrived at the bar and walked in.
"Rachael!" The owner Johnny exclaimed and I smiled.
"Hey Johnny." I said. "Johnny this is Sidney." I smiled and they shook hands.
"It's an honor." Johnny said with a smile. Sidney and I both ordered beers and some food.
"So what was it like growing up as a NHL goaltenders daughter?" He asked with interest on his face.
"It was hard. He was always on the road and my mom and I were always at home together." I sighed
"When did you start hockey?" He asked.
"Well, I started when I was nine and I've loved it ever since. I used to play center but I really liked being a goaltender so I just stuck with it. My mom didn't like me doing hockey though. She wanted me to do gymnastics instead and she even got my kicked off of my team since she refused to take me to half my practices." I sighed
"Then what happened?" My best friends mom took me to practice and explained to the coach what happened and coach understood so he let me back on the team."I said
"Wow." He said
"And then my parents divorced four years later so I went with my dad on all the road trips and to all the practices and that really shaped me into the goalie I am today." I said with a smile.