The Empty Night of Unhealed Scars

1/1

I created a mini cloud with my breath as I budged open the auditorium door. This school wasn't that old despite it's ancient sections and corridors. The band hall and auditorium were the oldest part of this place. I choose to get in through the auditorium though, something about that band hall at night just didn't feel right...

I know you may be thinking why the hell would I be breaking into school on winter break. Well you know how people say they hate school or work? Maybe it's just because of the people within the place. I've stayed after school a few times and it was quite peaceful. I could only imagine it without anyone at all. Besides, I had no where else to go. Why would I want to stay home and watch better people with better lives scream for the ball to drop, counting the seconds to 2014? Or, like some other people, get wasted and start the new year feeling like shit the next morning?

Anyways, I was going to relax. I kept my hand tight on the door knob as I slowly shut the door. I gently released the knob, being careful not to make a loud claaaacccckkk! sound. As I expected, everything was pitch black except for the exit signs. I slowly unzipped my messenger bag, searching for my flashlight. Yes, I came prepared.

If this 'risky' trip, as my brother had called it, was going to not be as calming and relaxing as I had came for, at least there would be excitement and a little adventure, say, if someone were to be here. I turned on my flashlight, revealing the still dust in the air. I swung the safety band on the flashlight somewhat violently in the air, assuring me there was nothing there. I wasn't scared of the dark, but you never know what could be in it.

There isn't much in here, except for the dressing rooms. But there wouldn't be anything interesting in them anyway so I decided to move on. I felt goosebumps forming, irritating the whispy hair on my arms. It's really cold in here... The cold air also has a slight smell to it. Probably the dust on the curtains.

I exited the auditorium and entered the wide open halls of the school. The only light source here was a soda machine, its blue light beautifully illuminating the hall. A smile crept upon my lips. This was the calming effect I was searching for.
~~
I had wandered the halls for quite some time now. The only places I had yet to see where the locker rooms hidden away deep in the gym and the band hall. Being in there at 11:00 p.m. after football games had very horrifying experiences I should not talk about. One lesser experience was when a few other people and I once saw music stands forming a broken cross. I know some people would say it was probably someone pulling a prank on us or something, but it was unexpected and scary.

Another time there was a brand new drum set in the drum room, I even saw the band kids set it up and lock it for the night. The next morning, the snare was busted. Stupid, but very strange... I decided maybe the band hall wasn't so strange as it was those nights, and despite the occurrences.

Suddenly, a muffling sound came from one of the classrooms. Ugh.... Maybe this wasn't a good idea. Nah... Probably just a rat or something. I arrived at the entrance of the band hall and upon entering I swung my flashlight just as I did in the auditorium. I lost grip of the flashlight and let go, the flashlight flung into the air and hitting something with a loud bang.

"Oh shit!!!!" I screamed. My eyes grew wide and I clasped my hand over my mouth. I ducked down to a response of nothing and just sat in the middle of the floor, being quiet, waiting for a response. A light turned on in the piano room. Oh my god... I was panting, trying to silent my heavy breathing from almost crying.

In the window of the door, I saw a familiar figure. That figure was smiling at me. The shadow went away and I saw the person I loved the most who was taken. Last I heard he was suppose to be with his girlfriend at a party, but obviously that didn't work out. "Hey Teagan," he gently said. Turns out I wasn't alone after all. This New Year's would be way better than I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D
Written for the Winter Wonders contest. Prompt is cold nights.