Frozen Heart

Chapter 10

Oak Town was a place Jack visited fairly often.

The children always looked a bit melancholy, or fidgety, and Jack will always be a firm believer that kids should be kids.

So, when a cold wind twisted through the city streets, and every child perked up with calls of her name, the winter-girl could only smile.

It was about time they had a snow day, in her opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moment he felt that sudden cool breeze roll by, Gajeel raised his head, scenting the air.

Pine and sky, the slightest hint of flowers…

It was her
.

Without a word, the Dragon Slayer left the guild hall to track down his quarry, avoiding the main streets to keep from being spotted.

Laughter rose up from the city park, and he arrived to what could only be described as a winter playground.

Children were sledding down snowy hills, or rolling large spheres to make snowmen, with the majority running around in an enthusiastic snowball war of rather impressive proportions.

And there she was, right in the middle of the chaos, laughing as she dodged ill-aimed snowballs and ducking to avoid a flying sled that ended up buried in a snowdrift.

Long white braid flicking behind her like a tail as she moved, big blue eyes practically sparkling with joy…

Gajeel growled softly at himself, but did not move from his spot in an alleyway across the road.

This was the only bit of light he had, and Gajeel was nothing if not possessive.

As if sensing his presence, the girl paused in making a snowball, gaze sweeping over her handiwork before spotting the Dragon Slayer on the outskirts of the midsummer snowfall.

After a moment, a new smile crossed her face, like she was happy to see him, and damn it if Gajeel’s heart didn’t give a little jolt at that.

No one else in all of Fiore could say that they had ever been happy to see Black Steel Gajeel.

But she just giggled, snow dotting her chocolaty skin as she returned to the game as if Gajeel was not at war with himself over her response.

He knew he was a monster, the Iron Dragon Slayer of Phantom Lord, but…

When she looked at him, he didn’t want to be.