Frozen Heart

Chapter 14

When the sky darkened and the air felt heavy with rain, Jack knew what was coming.

Once she had seen all the children safely home, the winter-girl waited patiently in a nearby clearing, legs crossed and leaning on her upright staff as the rain started to fall.

“Drip, drip, drop…”

Chin resting on her threaded fingers on the staff’s top, Jack watched a figure materialize in the growing mist, an umbrella shielding her from the rain.

The woman’s face was empty, like a statue’s, but Jack was not fooled at all.

“Juvia, I’m guessing?”

“Juvia is not surprised Jack Frost knows her name.” The blue-haired woman replied, stopping a few yards away. “Juvia has come to ask for an audience with the Snow Queen.”

“I believe I told your friends Totomaru and Sol that I’m not inclined to help with that.” She pointed out.

“Juvia knows that Jack Frost has said no before.” The rain women admitted, eerily monotone. “But Juvia believes that Jack Frost can be persuaded.”

“Really now?” Jack mused, cocking her head slightly to one side. “By telling me why Phantom is so hell-bent on seeing the Snow Queen?”

“Juvia is not allowed to say.”

“Then I’m not allowed to tell you where the Snow Queen is.” The white-haired girl answered easily, unperturbed as the rain soaked through her sweater and drenched her hair.

Juvia frowned slightly, as if deciding her next move, and Jack took the time to really look at the woman that stood as one of Phantom Lord’s Element Four.

Behind the blank mask, she could almost see

“You should smile more.”

Startled by the unexpected statement, Juvia refocused, stunned by the smile on the smaller girl’s face.

“It makes things seem a bit brighter, that way.”

Without losing her balance, Jack lifted up her staff, and the rain slowly turned to snowflakes before their eyes.

Juvia could only stare in wonder, reaching a hand out to catch a snowflake in her palm.

“You should look around Mount Hakobe.”

Snapping to attention, the rain woman’s gaze turned to her target, whose smile had softened her entire face and made those bright blue eyes practically sparkle with affection.

“Just a suggestion.”

With a flick of her staff, Jack was off, leaving Juvia rooted to the spot in surprise as snow fell around her instead of rain.

For a long while, she honestly believed the whole thing had been a dream.