Frozen Heart

Chapter 38

Jack was absolutely miserable.

She had not slept a wink in four days, and her magic went haywire at the slightest provocation, draining what reserves were left from the battle.

With no way to recuperate the loss, she was only getting worse, and that fact did not go unnoticed.

Levy’s search went through older and older books at breakneck speed, and Gajeel paced the room, growling at anyone who so much as passed by in the hallway.

Only Makarov dared enter, usually with a doctor scurrying on his heels to run tests, though he often wished he stayed away like the others.

To see Jack, normally so vibrant and strong, aching and sick as she was…

It tore at his heart
.

Everyone in Fairy Tail felt the same, though none of them dared come to visit after Jet and Droy got frozen startling her with their argument over who deserved to get Levy lunch that day.

Rambunctious and loud as they all were, with the exception of a select few, the chance of a repeat performance was high and no one wanted to be thawed out over a bonfire.

Or worse, be thawed out by Natsu once he got back.

So mages stood guard outside the hospital, or went out on reconnaissance, or coordinated efforts, all in an attempt to find an antidote or bring down the dark wizards that had hurt one of their own.

Even if Jack did not bear the mark of Fairy Tail, she was part of their family, and no one hurt Fairy Tail’s family.

The dark wizards that came five days after the initial skirmish learned this the hard way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entire hospital shook like a rattle in the hands of a particularly energetic toddler, and Jack was fully awake in moments.

Gajeel was up and at the window before she could blink, practically bristling, as Levy sat up at the foot of the bed, fingers curling into fists.

“Gajeel?”

“They’re back.” He growled, fists hardening into iron clubs.

Jumping from the bed, Levy ran to the door, pausing in the frame as something crashed down the hall.

“Oh no…”

In a flash, Gajeel had pulled her back into the room and slammed the door, scales forming over his arms as thundering footsteps came through the walls.

“Get back.”

Shoving herself upright, Jack winced as her torso and arms protested, head throbbing from lack of magic.

Grabbing up her staff, the winter-girl forced herself to stand as the wood frosted over and began to glow.

“Jack!” Levy protested, rushing to her side as a heavy weight slammed into the door.

“I’m fine.” She lied easily, willing her knees not to buckle. “I can still fight.”

“Like hell you are.” Gajeel growled, activating his Iron Dragon’s Scales as the door groaned, buckling under another blow. “I’ll take care of this, so just stay out of the way.”

The door shattered the next moment, and the first man through met an enraged Iron Dragon Slayer head-on.

Poor idiot had no idea what he was getting himself into.

With a roar that would make any dragon proud, Gajeel brought his fist back and into the man’s face, sending him flying back like a bullet and into anyone trying to enter behind him.

Taking advantage of the clear doorway, and the confusion outside, Levy snapped into action.

Solid Script: Wall!”

With the only entrance blocked, at least until the enemy regrouped to break it down, there were a few precious moments to figure out a game plan.

Jack knew instantly things were not in their favor.

Levy was a long-range fighter, and even though Gajeel certainly was not, it would be far too easy to overwhelm a single person with numbers in such a cramped space.

“Time to go.” Jack insisted, icing the floor by the entry with a wave of her staff.

Levy squeaked as an arm lifted her up by the waist, only her familiarity with flying kept Jack from doing the same when Gajeel hefted her against his chest and busted the window open before leaping through.

Fairy Tail was converging on the street out front, and the infamous property damage was piling up, though civilians had long since evacuated the area.

The scaled Dragon Slayer snarled as the enemy noticed them, holding Jack closer protectively as Levy curled into a tighter ball against his side.

A crash from above sparked the nearest dark mages into action, seals activating in waves.

Fire Magic: Fire Bullet!”

Fire Magic: Prominence Whip!”

Earth Magic: Rock Avalanche!”

Gajeel jumped out of the way, rock hitting cobblestone, and wind shrieked as it scattered the flames into harmless sparks.

Solid Script: Guard!”

Debris and heat was stopped by the spell as Gajeel landed in a crouch, sturdy body curled over the pair to absorb the impact.

“Surprising.”

The blonde man stood calmly a few yards down the road, eyes blank as jewels as he took the trio in.

“Unfortunately for you, that won’t be enough.”

Setting the girls down, the Iron Dragon Slayer stood to his full-rather intimidating-height, fangs bared.

“I’m gonna pay you back for what you did to Snowie.”

“I’m sure you will.” He replied blankly, untroubled. “If you can get through her first.”

Seals formed, and the bottom of Gajeel’s stomach dropped out at the scream that followed.

Doll Attack: Puppeteer!”

Eyes squeezed shut at the violent push on her mind, Jack crumbled to the ground, magic pulsing erratically over her skin.

“Jack!” Levy cried, dropping to her knees beside the fallen winter-girl.

The icy crackle of her magic sputtered and clashed with the purplish flames breaking out across her shoulders and neck, a mirror for her internal struggles against the spell bashing against every defense she was erecting.

Gotta focus, can’t let him in, can’t…

There’s no point, no point in fighting it, just let go…

Can’t stop, can’t let him in, can’t stop fighting, can’t-

You’ve already failed
.

She faltered as if struck, and that was all it took.

The spell broke through, a tidal wave breaking down a dam, and swept her away…

Right into the darkness.