Memory of You

Prologue

Prologue

"Alex…you look well." He addressed her as she came close. David, her mind childishly sneered. From the last time she had seen him half a year ago the only thing that had changed was the dark circles that were now present around his eyes. Someone had not been sleeping well by the looks of it…other than that he looked just as he usually did; collared shirt and pants, covered by his cloak.

"What do you want, David?" She asked, not bothering to be courteous in the least.

"Is that how you treat an old friend?" He asked, feigning hurt.

"You were never a friend to begin with." She told him, not hiding her impatience. He had finally come home a few days ago, and she had hoped to spend some more time with him before her meeting with the Upper House of Dukes.

"So, what do you want?" She asked him again.

Leering at her for a moment, in a way that made her skin crawl, David smiled.

"You know...it's rather funny, how many people know about Alexandra, the Queen of Seraphine...compared to those who know about Alexandra of Seraphine, the sorceress." He said, amused. "I wonder why so few know about what you really are...hmm?"

Looking unimpressed, Alexandra stood with her hands on her hips.

"Is that what you came here for? Trying to blackmail me by using that?" She asked, not at all amused.

"It's too bad. Everyone knows the Royal Family of Seraphine has always had special powers. So do some of the countrymen. It's not a state secret." Alexandra pointed out.

Looking irritated at the turn of events, David frowned at her.

"You know Alex, we could have been great together. All you had to do was smile and accept my proposal at the ball. If it wasn't for your meddling father, we could have ruled this country together." He said, through gritted teeth.

"You mean, you could have been ruling this country alone. Don't think I didn't find out about the talks you had with my father. He told me you were inquiring about changing laws so that spouses had equal powers to their royal counterparts." Alex countered. "What were you going to do? Strip me of my power and rule Seraphine on your own?"

"You don't know what you're talking about." He spat at her.

"Why are you here then? If it's not to annoy me with your presence, or ask me for money, or remind me of my stupidity all those years ago, why bother to come?" She asked, exasperated.

"Well, Alex. Over the last few months in Saarsgard, I was helping out the king, when one of his advisors told me about the witch that protected the country. He also happened to mention that Seraphine was better protected as they not only had a witch, but also had an Oracle, and Healer. Suddenly I remembered all those top-secret classes you had during our courtship." He told her, with a smirk.

Alexandra started to feel uneasy. Only those protecting the Royal Family and its members knew about the location of the Oracle, she hoped no one had divulged the secret.

"So, I went looking for the witch of Saarsgard. When I found her, I asked if she would take me on as an apprentice. In return I told her I would help her overtake your powers on my way to the throne." Alexandra froze as he said this.

"Would you like to see what I learned?" He grinned menacingly at her.

As soon as she saw him start to move his arm, Alexandra didn't think, with a flourish of her hand, David was sent reeling backwards, slamming against the stone wall of the castle.

"Stupid wench, I should have done this a long time ago." He said, getting up of the ground.

Before he could attack her, Alexandra let her anger take control. Once more David was sent spinning, hitting the large oak doors.

When he didn't get up immediately, Alexandra called for her guards. It was about time that David was taught a lesson. As she heard footsteps draw near, Alexandra called out to them. Mark and Valek would probably be storming down the hall by now.

"Mark! Valek! I need you to take David to the dungeons. Make sure Samuel is standing guard the entire time. He's dangerous." She said, thinking they would be around the corner.

Instead, as she turned around she saw David standing up. A grimace on his face, his eyes burned with anger mixed with triumph.

"You know what they say, Alex. Never turn your back on the enemy. Even if it is for a second."

Before Alexandra could even think to counter him, a blast shot out with a wave of his hand.

"Lex? Lex! Get out of the way!"