Save Yourself

Abby

The rain continued throughout the night, turning into a full thunderstorm by the next day. Not a single word was spoken about what had transpired the night before - that much, I was thankful for. Sherlock assured me the rain was the perfect cover, before pressing a gun into my palm. He'd disappeared in the middle of the night, which I chose to ignore, but it was suddenly explained.

"I assume you do know how to use this?" He asked, pushing me softly underneath the overhang of the warehouse we were standing in front of, out of the rain.

I managed out a half-laugh, taking the bullets from him, loading the gun in a manner of seconds, "Unfortunately, I'm well-versed. Let's just hope we don't have to use them. Through here."

I waved my hand toward a broken window leading into the basement, the moment our feet met the floor the thick smell of diesel hit my nose, permeated the air. Briefly, I wondered how long it would take this smell to get out of my hair again, but shook the thoughts from my mind.

A seemingly endless, dark maze was underneath the warehouse. I'd been well-acquainted with the top floor, but the basement was something I'd never ventured into. Room by room, the smell of iron seemed to grow, causing my stomach to sickeningly turn when I realized it must be blood.

"Do you know where you're going?" Sherlock whispered, hand on my elbow to keep us from separating in the darkness.

"Uh... Yeah."

I could hear him scoff behind me, but I could also hear something else in the distance. Soft scuttling, growing.

"Rats." Sherlock's voice breathed inches from behind my ear, practically reading my mind.

"Never thought I'd be relieved by rats."

We pressed on, the smell slowly dissipating, cool air hitting our faces just enough to reassure me we were walking in the right direction. Finally, my hands found the cool of the metal door, slowly opening it - cursing every creak.

"Wait." Sherlock said, stepping in front of me.

The sound of the rain could be heard blasting through the large window panes. Lights outside were the only source of light, giving off a very small amount to see from. Still, it was more than the basement. At the very end of the warehouse stood what once would have been considered an office. The outline of a door told us all we needed to know - someone was inside, pacing back and forth.

As quietly as possible, we ran to the other side of the building. I was thankful for the rain at this moment, for it covered the majority of our loud footsteps on the concrete floor. As soon as we reached the door, I raised my gun.

"You'll find you may want to put that gun down." Sherlock whispered, his voice almost concealing a hint of surprise.

"Why?" I asked, the door slowly opening.

"Oh, mommy, daddy said you'd come back, but I thought he was lying!"

Abigails arms encased me and I fought the urge to throw up as the lights in the warehouse flickered on.

Too easy.