Status: Co-write. In the process, bare with us.

I Know There's a Way out When All Hope is Gone

Two~

Annalise’s POV

“Annalise! Where the FUCK are you?! You take forever!” his booming voice rang from downstairs. I rolled my eyes as I picked up the rest of my belongings. I slung my backpack over my shoulder and hauled my two giant suitcases out the door, plastering a huge smile on my face. I actually felt happy for once. I was finally getting away from all the madness, the chaos. I took the stairs very slowly, making sure I didn’t totally eat it on my way down. Just as usual I lost my footing and came tumbling down the stairs. I felt a pair of arms wrap around me before my face could connect to the floor. I looked up only to be met with the amber eyes of my ex-boyfriend/best friend, Jacob. They twinkled in amusement. I shoved him away as I mumbled a “thank you” in his direction. Damn him for having such a stupid affect on me. I knew my cheeks were flushed and I cursed myself for being so damn pale.

He gave me a sad look, “Anna.” He reached out to touch my face and I flinched at his touch. He sighed before picking up my suitcases by the handles and rolled them out to his car. “You know this whole friendship thing would be a whole lot fucking easier if you’d just let us go,” he said suddenly. I looked down at my feet, kicking them softly as I felt his cold stare boring into my whole body. Suddenly I wish I had covered myself more. I was only wearing shorts and a tank top. My scars were still visible to anyone with eyes. I didn’t want to care, but here he was…making me care too much about how I looked.

“Look Anna banana,” he used the nickname he gave me when we first started dating. “I already told you why I can’t be with you. Why don’t you understand that no guy wants a girl with scars?” His eyes traveled up and down my exposed physique. I cringed, feeling extremely self-conscious. I turned on my heel and ran up the stairs. I could hear him chuckle lightly. I tore up my room looking around for a decent pair of jeans and a long sleeve. It wasn’t going to be too hot in Utah but I was sure I was going to get a few odd looks my way. But I was going to play it off like always, with false confidence. I stopped in front of my vanity to look at myself in the mirror. I practiced getting my features to look cold and uncaring. I grabbed my black matte lipstick I bought from MAC and swiped it on my lips. I added a dramatic smokey eye and put on my biggest fake lashes. I grabbed my off the shoulder long sleeve crop top and put that on instead of my long sleeve. I grabbed my beanie from Drop Dead and waltzed down the stairs, twitching my hips dramatically. I pushed past Jacob, feeling his hungry eyes bore into my back. I climbed into my jeep which had all my belongings, blew a flirty kiss to him and drove off with my middle finger in the air. I was done giving a fuck.

Getting to SLC wasn’t too bad. I lived pretty far so I had to come to St. George two days before Warped Tour started. I was insanely excited to be working my dream job. Ever since I went to Warped Tour when I was fifteen I knew this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I even started writing music and learned to play the guitar since then. Once I got my workers permit when I turned sixteen I tried to apply but it said you had to be eighteen. I counted down the days till my eighteenth birthday but I still didn’t get the job. It wasn’t until I bumped into Kevin on the 2013 Warped Tour that I finally made my dream come true.

Jacob was holding hands with Jen while I trailed behind them, my red hair falling slightly in my eyes. I hated that I had to catch a ride with the happiest, cutest, most perfect couple in the world. That should be me kissing his cheek every five seconds. That should be me he wraps his arms around. But he’s right. What guy would want a girl with scars? I pulled at the hem on my long sleeve, trying to hide myself more. Sometimes I wish I could shrink so small that I’d drown in my clothes. I just wanted to disappear. I was so lost in my thoughts I didn’t even realize I lost Jake and Jen. Crap. Now I have no idea where to go, they have the fucking schedule and I don’t have any money on me. I walked without looking again and ended up colliding with another body. I stumbled to the floor and landed on my rear. I let out a tiny squeal of surprise.

“Oh I’m sorry! I didn’t see ya there,” the man said as he extended his hand to me.

“Nah my fault I’m such a clumsy gi—“ I stopped mid-sentence once I realized who I was talking to. Kevin motherfucking Lyman. I almost shat myself. “I uh I mean uh yeah sorry but aren’t you like the maker of this?” I raised my hands around to motion to the whole venue. I probably sounded so stupid but this guy right here was my hero. He created this wonderful festival where I could get away from all the stupid bullshit back home.

He chuckled lightly, “I guess you could say that. What’s your name?”

I balked. Why did he want to know my name? Without thinking any further I chirped out, “Annalise Rico.”

He held out his hand towards me, “Nice to meet you Annalise. So would you like to tell me why you're so close to the main stage exit?” I looked behind me and realized there was a band on stage performing. My mouth formed a surprised O shape. I looked back at Kevin to find him smiling like a fool. Suddenly his walkie went off.

“Yeah what’s up?” he said into it.

Another voice said, “Ernie Ball stage is having some troubles but no one is available.”

“Shit,” Kevin mumbled before talking back to the person. “What kind of troubles?”

“The barricade is coming down again.”

“Fuck,” he groaned. “Are you sure no one is available?”

“Nope.”

“Damn alright be there soon,” he put the walkie down. He looked at me and gave me a knowing smile. “Hey Annalise…do you wanna get backstage?”

My heart felt like it was in my throat. I couldn’t breathe right. I nodded my head like and hurried behind Kevin. My heart was racing as soon as we arrived to the stage area. Immediately we saw what all the fuss was about. Crown The Empire was playing their set and people were going absolutely nuts. All of the band members had no shirts. Whether or not they were ripped off or they simply removed them who knows.

“Let’s go,” Kevin said to me as we rushed to help the securities secure the barricade. I managed to help a few people over the gate as it was being fixed. One of those people being Andy, the lead singer. I helped him to the floor. He stood straight up and he was almost a foot taller than me. He smiled at me and said, “Thanks girl.” Before I could say anything else I was immediately crushed by a large body. my body failed me and I fell to the ground.

Moments later I woke up in the infirmary. I noticed I was still alone. Guess Jake and Jen didn’t really care. But then I noticed some voices coming from the curtain next to me. I kept really quiet and focused on them.

“I’m telling you Kenny the girl’s a natural. She’d be a perfect replacement,” I heard Kevin speak.

“I don’t know man you know how I feel about having young girls around all these guys. Besides what if she’s not even eighteen?” Kenny said seriously.

Just then the curtain was pushed open, to which I jumped in surprise.

“Anna how old are you?” Kevin said with no hesitation.

“I’m eighteen,” I said quietly.

Kevin smiled over at Kenny and Kenny smiled back. They both turned their knowing smirks towards me.

Then Kevin said the words I never thought I’d hear ever in my life. He spoke the words that changed my life…forever.

“Would you like to work at Warped Tour next year?” I’m pretty sure the world just stopped.


I arrived at the hotel in St. George and noticed a bus in the parking lot. I idly wondered what other band decided to stay here. I shrugged my shoulders as I made my way towards the front desk of the hotel. I checked in under my name. I walked towards the elevator and pressed the second floor button. I waited to arrive at my stop. I searched around for my room. Finally after searching for the right number before it shined in front of me. 102. I slid my key into the door thinking to myself, tomorrow is Warped Tour and I’m finally going to live out my dream.

I drifted off into slumber, dreaming about what tomorrow would be like.
♠ ♠ ♠
-AmberlyLove