Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Withholding

Rebecca didn’t think anything of it that Scott hadn’t called Friday night, she figured that he didn’t want to call too late. She resisted the urge to call him when she woke up because as Tyler had reminded her, Edmonton is three hours behind them.

Tyler had downloaded the Flyers mobile app to her phone so that she’d be able to know when the games were, in the event she wanted to call him, she would know what times were best. She checked the schedule and saw that they had a game later, a four o’clock start time, which would mean it would be one o’clock in Edmonton. “He’s probably not going to have time to call before the game,” she thought to herself.

Her phone rang.

It was Lindsey.

*********************************************************

Scott had arrived in Edmonton around midnight, way too late to call Rebecca. Even after talking with Kimmo on the plane, he still didn’t feel up to speaking with her. He didn’t want to fake that everything was alright, because it sure as hell wasn’t. In his head he understood that she thought she was doing the right thing, but his heart was broken worrying about what the future held. How long would it take her to figure out that she was tricked? Would they be able to work through this? So many other questions and not enough answers.

By this point they had only been dating for about a month and a half, it was no wonder he couldn’t get through to her about Brad, especially considering the source of his information. No wonder she had rejected his proposal…who really gets married after only knowing each other for a month? He would…for her. He would spend the rest of his life with her…and Tyler. What about Tyler? Had she told him what’s going on?

He doubted she would, she knows how he feels about his father. Tyler didn’t want to have any kind of relationship with Brad, and finding out that his mother had married him could possibly put their relationship in jeopardy. Tyler didn’t deserve to be stuck in the middle like this. Scott wished he could talk to Tyler and try to make him understand, but he couldn’t do that without calling Rebecca. He wasn’t ready for that. He needed time. And being on the road for two weeks would afford him that time.

*********************************************************

Rebecca and Tyler watched the game that afternoon, Tyler still trying to explain the intricacies of the sport when he commented, “Scott doesn’t look like himself.”

“What do you mean?” Rebecca asked.

“There’s no jump…he’s just kind of blah,” Tyler noted. Knowing that his mother wouldn’t understand, he rephrased…”He doesn’t seem like he wants to be playing.”

“Oh,” Rebecca stared at the television. Could her refusal be the cause of his demeanor? Could it be because she married Brad? She explained to him why she needed to do it. She thought he understood. But then again, he did seem adamant when he tried to relay Meg’s admission about Brad. Freaking Meg…just can’t mind her own business. If she hadn’t gotten in contact with Scott, he wouldn’t have proposed and she wouldn’t have had to refuse.

***********************************************************

Despite Scott’s lackluster performance on the ice, the Flyers managed to pull out a win against the Oilers. In frustration, Scott threw his gloves into his stall as he entered the locker room. He plopped himself down on the bench and rubbed his temple with his fingers. Claude, noticing his teammate’s disposition, sat down next to him and asked what his problem was.

“I’m just not in it,” Scott admitted. “My mind isn’t here. I’m sorry.”

“It happens. Shake it off buddy. Everything will be okay,” Claude assured his friend.

“I’m not so sure about that G,” Scott turned to face Claude. He lowered his voice so that it was barely audible. “I asked Rebecca to marry me,” Scott noticed Claude’s face light up as if he had just won the lottery. Scott finished, “she turned me down.”

“Wait, what?” Claude’s expression immediately changed. “What do you mean she turned you down? How is that possible?”

“She said I was only proposing so that she wouldn’t marry Brad,” he said, “which was part of the reason at the time. But after... I realized that I truly want to marry her.”

"Wow. I didn't think I'd ever hear you say that..." Claude said with amazement.

"I didn't think I'd ever say it either," Scott said, "that's what's making this whole thing worse."

"I'm sure. So what are you gonna do?" Claude asked.

"I honestly don't know. All I do know is that I love her. And I can't just walk away. But I need time to figure out what to do."

*******************************************************

After the game, Tyler had gone out with his friends and would be gone for a few hours so Rebecca decided she would visit Brad and see how he was doing.

"Hello wife," Brad said as she walked into his room.

"Hey," she said uncomfortably. "How are you feeling today?"

"Same as yesterday," he said. "How are you?"

"I'm alright. Been a long couple of days."

"Oh. Well, to what do I owe the honor of your visit?" he asked.

"Just wanted to see how you were doing. Tyler's out with friends for a while," she said as she sat down in the chair next to his bed.

"So why aren't you out with your boyfriend?" he asked, trying to sound genuine.

"He's on the road. They're in Edmonton today," Rebecca smiled as she thought about Scott.

"I've missed that smile," Brad said as he reached for her hand. "I remember when I used to make you smile like that."

"That was a long time ago Brad. A lot has happened," she said as she pulled her hand back.

"I know that. But it's nice to think about the good old days."

"Yeah....but then that leads to thinking about the not-so-good old days," she responded. "But, some things don't change," Rebecca mentioned.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Your sister. She can't mind her own business."

"What did she do this time?" Brad asked, trying to hide the panic from his face.

"She called Scott and convinced him that you were faking your illness so that he would try and keep me from marrying you," she said as she shook her head.

"She did what?" Brad withheld exploding with anger at hearing Meg had betrayed him.

"Yeah. Scott believed her. He actually proposed to me Thursday night."

"Wow. I didn't realize you were that far along in your relationship with him. Did you accept?" Brad wanted to sound like he actually cared, but he failed.

"Not yet. I told him I would marry him...after...." she looked him up and down.

"After I'm gone?" he finished.

"Well...yeah..." she stammered.

Brad tried to look sympathetic when he said, "You won't have to wait that long..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for all the comments....I know I'm taking this story all over the place but I think it's coming together nicely.

Your thoughts?