Sequel: Standing Tall
Status: To make a sequel or not...that is the question...

Getting Back Up

Elation

Rebecca spent a few hours with Brad before returning home. He hated having to be in the hospital, but needed to stay a couple weeks longer to make his recovery believable. Especially since Meg had already tried to sabotage his plan. He'd have to deal with her later.

There was no way he would let anything come between them, not when Hartnell was willing to marry her at a moment's notice. Brad was going to be very careful with the rest of his plan. He had invested too much time and money executing the plan to have it all go up in smoke.

*********************************************************

Rebecca had just returned home when her phone rang. It was Scott.

"Hey handsome! I miss you!" Rebecca exclaimed.

"Hey babe. I miss you too," Scott said with a somber tone.

"You okay? You don't sound like yourself," she said.

"Fine. Just...tired," he lied.

"Oh okay. Are you still in Edmonton?" she asked.

"Yeah, for now. We're going to Vancouver tomorrow. And then Phoenix on Tuesday. I always have hated west coast swings," he responded.

"Well, just remember what you've got waiting for you when you come home," she said suggestively.

"Yeah...I know," Scott had a small smile on his face but he couldn't help but think about the situation with Brad. "So what did you do today?" He asked trying to sound normal.

"Well Tyler and I watched the game. And then he went out with friends so I went to the hospital to see Brad," she said.

"Rebecca, please...I don’t want to talk about Brad," he responded with a harshness to his voice.

"Oh...I'm sorry. Is that what's bothering you?" Rebecca asked.

"Actually yes. I know you feel like you're doing the right thing, but my gut is telling me he's lying. And I don't want you to get hurt when the truth eventually comes out," he responded.

"Scott, there's no truth. Meg is just a bitch. Everything will be fine. You'll see," she assured him.

"I hope so," he said.

They talked on the phone for another hour, about nothing in particular, until Scott said he needed to get some rest. He told Rebecca that he loved her, and she returned the sentiment.

Scott thought that if he heard her voice he'd feel better, but after their call he actually felt worse. He knew he had to do something. But what could he do from 3000 miles away? He'd have to wait until he returned to Philadelphia.

*********************************************************

While Scott was away on the road trip, Rebecca spent time with Brad. He was alone, she knew Meg wouldn't visit him, so she spent a few hours every other day at the hospital. A week and a half after they had gotten married she noticed that some color was returning to his face. He seemed like he was gaining weight. When she would ask him how he was feeling, his answer was always 'Same as yesterday'.

She noticed these things, but didn't think anything of them because Brad's doctor insisted that he wasn't getting any better. Doctor Pearlman told her that things like this happen, it was just a matter of days before the illness would claim him.

A few times Rebecca had asked Brad about his plans...for services and whatnot...but Brad stated that all of the details were outlined in his will and she needn't worry about it. He joked when he told her his only request was that she wait at least a day after he's gone to marry Scott. Rebecca didn't find it too humorous but she agreed anyway. She didn't plan on marrying Scott this soon, but she did want to marry him.

Rebecca couldn't wait until Scott was home. She wanted to spend a full day wrapped in his arms. She would spend that day reassuring him that everything would be alright. She could tell from their phone conversations that he was still uneasy with the whole situation, even though they never specifically talked about it. His voice was curt and short, but she could still tell that despite the situation he still loved her.

****************************************************

Scott returned to Philadelphia a week later. The Flyers had managed to survive the extensive road trip, winning five out of six games. He got to his apartment around ten o'clock on Friday night. As he opened the door, he heard that the television was on in the living room. He walked down the hallway, crossed the room to the sofa and found Rebecca asleep.

She was so beautiful...her blonde hair lined her face softly. Her lips and cheeks a pale rose color. She was a natural beauty, and he was lucky to have found her. Three months had passed since that night at Xfinity Live, and he was grateful to his teammates for suggesting they go. She looked so peaceful that he didn't want to wake her up. He wondered if he could move her to the bedroom without waking her.

He brushed a rogue strand of hair off of her face and ran his hand over the curves of her side. Her breathing got heavier and her eyes opened slightly. "Welcome home," she whispered.

"I didn't mean to wake you. What are you doing here?" Scott asked.

"I needed to see you," she said as she reached for his hand.

"I'm glad you're here. I've missed you," he said as he took her hand and kissed her forehead.

"I've missed you too," she arched her head and kissed him on the lips. He slipped his hand behind her head and pulled them closer together. She parted her lips and allowed Scott's tongue to enter and touch hers. She moaned as their tongues merged together.

"I love you," he said as they separated. Rebecca gave him a smile. Scott stood up and extended his hand for Rebecca. She took his hand and said, "We need to talk..."

"Whatever it is, it's not important right now. It can wait until tomorrow. Let's just have a night for us..." he said as he pulled her up off of the sofa and into his arms. He kissed her neck and led her towards the bedroom.

He wanted to make love to her. He wanted to know that she wanted him as much as he wanted her. He wanted to forget about the proposal, the refusal, and Brad...if only for one night.

"Scott..." Rebecca started.

"Shhh..," he whispered as he placed gentle kisses on her hand and cheek, "please...I just...I want to make love to you."

"I think I may be pregnant..."