A Turn of Events

Prologue

Sixty years ago a war broke out between the humans and the vampires. After revealing themselves to humans all went relatively well for a little while. However, two very different species could not live together in peace for too long.

It was the vampires who made the first move. They believed they were more powerful, and they were for the most part. We could not stop them from killing us at first, they could outrun us, easily lure us in with their beauty, and were very lethal with their strength. But then we figured out their weaknesses, and for creatures so powerful they had many. Sunlight weakened them, making them weaker than a normal human if exposed for long enough, and killing them if they stayed in it for too long. A stake through the heart was a death sentence for them, silver was like poison to them, and the list seemed to go on and on. Many of their weaknesses were not fatal alone, but together they were used to bring the humans to victory after almost a five year long power struggle.

As a result of this war humans enslaved vampires, our desire to be all powerful rearing its ugly head. We found ways to control their supernatural powers, tame them in a way, and thus control them.
Years later, things haven’t changed.

This world we live in now, humans and vampire both, is a world where power is everything. Not having a status or power meant you were just as low as a vampire. It meant a future of doing jobs no one wanted to do, of being looked down upon and being treated like dirt.

This did not happen until after our old government had been replaced by a set of power hungry rulers, after that everything changed to how it is now. It wasn’t good enough to just rule the vampires, we had to control the humans as well.

Speaking against the new rule was almost a death sentence; they were in charge of everything. There was no judicial process, no government by the people and for the people. It was a dictatorship with more than one ruler. You were told what your role in society would be based on your background, if you came from a wealthy family you were guaranteed an easy life, if you came from a poor family your outlook was very gloom. Social classes were not allowed to mix; doing so was almost illegal in their eyes and could be punishable depending on the level of interaction.

Vampires are bought and sold as slaves every day, no human questions it, no one wonders if this is the right thing to do.

Some days I wonder if things would have been better if the vampire had won.

My name is Lydia Parker, I am a human, and I am against vampires as slaves. I vowed to never have one even though I come from a very wealthy and prestigious family. But things don’t always go as planned.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just an introduction to the story itself, let me know what you think! I'm really excited about this one!