I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ALINE

I checked my watch. It is 00:13am in the morning. I hate going home late. But nope, I had to have an asthma attack in the middle of the night and I couldn’t find my inhaler. You have no idea how hard it is to find an open pharmacy at this hour. I was lucky. There was a 7 Eleven store still open and although they don’t normally sell inhalers, the owner kept some in stock because one of his kids is asthmatic. He immediately sold me one after I showed up gasping for air at his shop. I should’ve called Randy to buy me one but he’s out with his friends and I couldn’t reach his phone.
The night air soaked through my thin jacket and chilled my bones. I shivered. The streets are practically deserted. This is getting kind of creepy, I’d better get back quickly. I looked up at the sky to see the full moon shining. It looked so pretty I couldn’t resist stepping off the sidewalk and onto the middle of the road for a better look. The stars twinkled softly in the sky. Oh Gawd, I haven’t experienced a Montréal night sky in ages. I smiled, feeling a little nostalgic as I remember backyard stargazing with my brothers.
SCREEECHH!! Suddenly, there was a flash of light and the sound of honking and screeching tires filled my ears before I felt a searing pain on my foot and everything went black.

I woke up with my right ankle screaming in pain. Ugh, what happened last night? I propped myself up with my elbow and pulled down my comforter, trying to piece what happened last night. Hold on, wait a second. I was pretty sure the comforter in my hotel room was white and not black. I pulled the blankets off me, wincing as I saw my completely bruised foot. This is not good.
The door creaked open, and in came a disheveled-looking man in rumpled clothes carrying a bowl of…something. Poor dude, he looked like he hadn’t slept all night. He turned on the lights and I suddenly stiffened. “David?!”
He nearly dropped the bowl. “Holy crap you’re alive!” he said, looking relieved and demented at the same time. “Yes, I’m alive and would care telling me where I am, what am I doing here, and um…what’s in that bowl you’re carrying?”
“Well…” He raked a hand over his tangled black hair, which was definitely longer than from the last time I saw him. He’d let them grow into wild curls up to his shoulders. He looked kind of different too. The last time I saw him he was like this hyperactive ADHD ten-year-old. Now his eyes looked hollow and he seemed more…weary.
“When I hit you with my motorbike I considered taking you to the hospital but then—” “You hit me with your MOTORBIKE?!” Okay THAT I definitely don’t remember. He crossed his arms and pouted. “Are you going to let me finish?” “Okay, sorry, go on.”
“Well you came out of nowhere! And I just panicked, OK? So I took you back to my place and…” He glanced at the bowl he had in his hands. “I bought some ice.” “I…” Well, I don’t know how to answer to that. My memory’s still kind of fuzzy. “Um, thanks.”
“It’s cool.” He sat down on the edge of my bed. “I may have been drunk anyway, so it’s probably my fault. Oh, and you’re supposed to put that on your ankle, not stare at it.” “Sorry,” I blushed a bit. “Wait a sec, you were drinking and driving?” For a second he almost smiled, but he didn’t answer as he reached over to take the bowl from me. “Here, let me.” He shook some cubes onto a towel and pressed it against my swollen ankle. I breathed a sigh of relief as the pain ceased.
He chuckled. “Feeling better? You were tossing and turning all night.” “It is not as bad as I thought it would be,” I nodded. “Wait…you’ve been watching me all night?” “I can’t exactly sleep after running over someone with my bike, Aline,” he laughed. I had to smile. “So you still remember me then? It’s been awhile, eh?” “Of course I do. You and Chuck are like shadows,” he grinned. “You two still hanging out?” Suddenly I felt a little queasy. “Not really,” I shrugged. “We’re both pretty busy. “I know, since now he’s got Ashley back.” “Oh.” I winced as he rubbed over a particularly sore spot. “What about you, Dave? You got a girl?” He grinned devilishly. “Maybe,” he smiled, and for a moment I saw a glimpse of the skinny, hyperactive ball of energy he used to be. “Oh, and that’s your phone ringing.” He tossed me my cell phone, which, surprisingly, wasn’t damaged. “Oh crap.” It’s my brother who’s calling.