I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

ASHLEY

“This is all your fault, Ashley, you could’ve just taken my advice and go to Paris instead of the Caribbean! It’s way more cheaper,” Carol complained. “Now Chuck’s broke and how are we going to get money this time?” “What I’m surprised is you still wanted to marry him even when you know he’s penniless,” Violet said pointedly. “He can’t exactly support your lifestyle up to standard now, can he?” “Our lifestyle,” I corrected. “And of course I still want to marry him! Do you know what it can do for my image if people find out that I’ve been dumped on my wedding day? Besides, he’ll recover his wealth soon.” I fished out a cigarette from my purse and took out a lighter. “Meanwhile, I’ll do what he wants and play the dutiful housewife. He’ll be back under my control soon enough.”
“He’s going to find out sooner or later that you’re not pregnant you know,” Violet warned. “What do you intend to do about that?” “I don’t know. Adopt some random kid?” I said airily. “Now enough already with questions and get me drink.” “You know what, I think you went too far this time. I’m betting your husband will be having a mental breakdown if he has to keep up with you any longer. You shouldn’t have spent that much. He doesn’t have an endless supply of cash like Bill Gates.”
Before I can respond, the door slammed open and Chuck stormed in, his face as dark a storm cloud. “You,” he said, pointing at me. “In the car, right now. We’re going to the hospital to do some tests.” “What? No way! We just got back from the courthouse and I’m too tired,” I complained. “Besides, you don’t have a car.” “Seb does,” he replied grimly. “He and a certain fellow we both know have something to tell you. It seems like you have a preference for The Queen Elizabeth Hotel for a reason.”