I Guess I'll Never Get To Call You Mine

CHUCK

I was released from the hospital after a few days, and Ashley took me home immediately. She set me up in a bedroom and told me that I needed lots of rest and that I shouldn’t get out of bed at all. I tried to tell her that was fine, and that the doctor deemed me fit to be up and about anyway, but she insisted. I guess it made sense if it’s only for a couple of days, but after two weeks of being cooped up inside I began to feel restless.
Those Simple Plan guys tried visiting me numerous times but Ashley kept them away from me. They also tried calling, texting and e-mailing me but we had the phone company to block their numbers, and Ashley encouraged me to make a new e-mail address. She deleted all their messages before I can sift through them. I kind of regretted her action, because I was curious why my supposed enemies are so desperate to contact me.
Those Young siblings tried to get a hold of me too, but Ashley gave them the same treatment as she did to the SP guys. I can see her right now from my window arguing with one of them. I think his name is Randy. He or one of his brothers visits often, but never their sister. It’s kind of stupid, but I find myself looking out the window every time someone tried to pay a call, half-hoping that it was she. Ashley had told me stories about her, how she’s nothing but trouble and that I’d better stay away from her. For some reason, though, I find a hard time believing her. I didn’t think she looked like a bad person.
I’ve also read re-read that letter she gave me about a hundred times. I know my handwriting so I know it’s not forged. I’ve been thinking a lot about the contents though. Ashley didn’t know I had it, and so far I had no intentions of telling her. What is that is so important that I need to tell Aline immediately? This is not the first time I’d wished my memory would return to me faster.
Sighing, I sat up from my bed and stretched. It’s early evening, and the past two weeks has taught me that Ashley would usually leave the house around this time with those two friends of her, which left me free to leave the house. I’ve learned to pick a lock pretty quickly, and I know when to get back so I would home before she did. I know, it’s kind of bad of me to sneak out like that without telling my wife, but I’ve been feeling like a prisoner in my own home, having been locked up in my bedroom on most days. I really needed some fresh air. Besides, I’d only wanted to take a short walk.

Today I decided to visit Old Port. I like to watch the ferries crisscross the mighty St Lawrence River as the wind blew in my face. I’d been tempted to try and ride one of the ferries, but for some reason an unpleasant feeling in my stomach would develop every time I tried to. I guess I’d had a bad experience with ferries before my accident.
“Oh my Gawd!” I turned around to see a dark-haired girl squealing behind me. She wore glasses and looked like she is in her late teens, seventeen or eighteen. From her expression she looked she just won the lottery. “Oh my Gawd you’re Chuck Comeau!” she exclaimed. “I never thought I would meet here. I’m a big fan of you, can I have an autograph?” “I, um, sure thing, kid.” I smiled as she dug around in her pockets for a pen and piece of scrap paper. “I didn’t know I was that famous.” “Of course you are! Simple Plan is like my favorite band ever.” I handed her back the paper and the pen and she gave me her phone in return.
I looked at it in confusion, while the kid looked at me expectantly. Then I realized that she wanted me to take a picture with me, and of course I obliged. She smiled and thanked me profusely once more, and I couldn’t help but feel happy as well. I didn’t know I could mean that much to one person. “So…how well do you know Simple Plan?” I said carefully.
“Well, I’m no crazy stalker but I know you guys are working on your third album right now,” she replied. “When do you think it will be released?” “Ehm, that’s a surprise,” I said. “What do you think of the band as a whole?” “Um…they’re great?” “I mean, do you think we have any reason to, let’s say, kick out one of our members?” “Kick out one of your members? But why?” “I’m just messing with you, kid. Of course we’re not doing that. We have good chemistry, eh?” “Oh yeah! I’ve read all about you. You guys met in high school. I think that’s so great, a group of best friends being able to fulfill their childhood dream of becoming a band.” “Hmm…I see. Do you know anything about The Youngbloods?”
“Of course I do,” she said. “They started at about the same time as Simple Plan. I love their music. I also heard that you’re best friends with Aline Young.” “Oh really? What do you think about her?” “She’s really, really cool I watched their concert once and we met the band at a meet-and-greet. She’s also one of the nicest people I’ve ever met, taking the time to talk to everyone and making sure no one is left out.” She beamed, and I could detect the signs of hero worship way too easily. “That’s great,” I said hastily. “How do you know Aline and I are best friends?” “If you Google yourself there’s a lot of these old school photos of you guys together. I think they’re kind of cute.” “Ah, I see. Thanks for your time, kid.”
I nodded at the camera slung around her neck, a telltale sign of a tourist. “You’re not from around here, are you?” “Nah, I’m only here for the summer to visit friends and a change for environment. You know, for inspiration.” She suddenly looked a bit shy. “I like to write stories for fun.” “That’s great,” I said encouragingly. “Maybe one day you’ll be a professional writer. What kind of story are you working on?” “I don’t know, I’m thinking romance, because Montréal is such a romantic city, isn’t it?” “It certainly is. Good luck with your story, kid,” I said. “I’m sure it’s going to be great. Oh and hey listen, I’d better be getting back now. It’s been nice talking to you though.” “It’s so great meeting you too, Chuck,” she smiled. I waved and turned to walk back home, already thinking about Googling Simple Plan and The Youngbloods as soon as I get back. It’s time I take my problems into my own hands and find out exactly what my life really is about before that accident took away my memories. From what that kid told me, it seemed like my wife has been keeping things from me.