The Immoral Mixtures

Through The Portal

I stood on the rafters, my arm wrapped around the highest beam. Reaching down I double checked the rigging at my waist before taking a deep breath and letting myself fall. The moment of panic that should've been there never came and instead I started moving, my body twisting and flipping in mid-air. After a moment I reached the end of my tether and the elastic cord quickly shot me back up and I repeated the process over again.

"Ana!"

I looked down to the floor of the training room from where I hung some 9 feet above it. Standing there was a blond girl with big bright green eyes looking back at me with a playful smirk on her face.

My best friend Maxine Lightwood.

"You rang?" I asked as I spun lazily from my teather.

"Get your butt down here and spar with me. I wanna try out this new knife!" she said waving the blade at me.

"Where did you get that from?" I asked.

"Early birthday present! I wasn't supposed to find it but I did! C'mon! Move it!" she waving her hands impatiently.

"Coming Maxy." I said and righted myself before unclipping the teather and dropping to the floor.

Standing up a brushed my bright red hair out of my eyes and walked over to the weapons on the wall before grabbing my Chakrams from where they hung. Their weight was familiar in my hands as was the worn leather that wrapped around their handles. Smiling I walked towards Maxy and got into my stance.

"Ready?" She asked.

"Bring it." I said and a moment later she was moving.

The two of us ducked and dodged and slashed at one another. Frankly this whole exercise was pointless. I knew Maxy inside and out and she knew just as much about me. Afterall it came with the Parabati territory.

Since we both knew the other so well the surprise and adrenaline rush of throwing our bodies and weapons grew old. Together we collapsed against a stack of mats by the wall, passing a bottle between the two of us.

"That's a pretty sweet knife." I said looking at it.

"Isn't it? It's so light too! Here...feel." she said and carefully handed me the dagger, making sure I grasped the covered handle of it.

She was right it was pretty light especially for what it was made of. It was solid silver with a gold filigree of runes that decorated the blade on one side. I would've been lying if I said that I wasn't a little envious of it.

I was jolted out of my thoughts though when suddenly the doors of the training room burst open. Maxy's eyes grew wide and she quickly dropped to the floor on her stomach.

"Shit! It's my Mom! You didn't see me!" she said her eyes wide and quickly ducked into the weapons closet.

I turned and peered over the mats just in time to see a mass of bright red hair not unlike my own appear. Attached to said hair was my older sister, Clary Lightwood and judging by the look in her green eyes she wasn't very happy. The last thing I really wanted to deal with was an angry Clary so I tried to duck back behind the mats however I failed.

"Anabelle Garroway! I know you're there! Quit trying to hide!" she demanded.

With a sigh I reluctantly emerged from behind the stack of mats, tucking Maxy's dagger into my back pocket.

"Hey Sis...long time no see!" I grinned.

"You saw me an hour ago when I asked what you wanted from the grocery store." she said looking at me with raised eyebrows.

"A lot could happen in an hour you know." I replied.

Clary rolled her eyes, "You've been spending too much time with Jace and Maxy. Speaking of which have you seen my darling daughter? She skipped out on her lessons again." she replied.

"Haven't seen her." I said shaking my head.

"Really now? What's this?" she asked and before I could even respond she had moved behind me, plucked the dagger from my pocket and was back in front of me, holding the blade up so I could see it.

The look she was giving me was so much like one my mother could give that it was scary. Of course we did share a Mother so it was reasonable that she could give the same stare.

"Oh that? Maxy let me borrow it! I was upstairs and she called me into the library to show it to me and I asked if I could try it out!" I replied.

"Maxy let you use the brand new dagger that she just got from Magnus and Alec?" she asked.

I nodded, "Why not? I mean we are Parabarti and all."

"Okay Ana you can either keep lying to me or you can just give Maxy up. We both know that you would never ask to use her brand new dagger before she got a chance. So where is she?" Clary asked.

"I swear I really don't know Clary." I said and reached up to cross my heart.

My hand had only just reached my heart when Clary grabbed hold of my hand.

"Ana! Look at your hands!" she said.

I looked down and saw the skin was bright red and shiny. Somehow I hadn't even noticed the burns.

"Oops." I replied.

"Oops?! By the Angel...what have we told you a million times? Do you have your steele?" she asked.

"Left it in my room." I replied.

Sighing Clary took me by the wrist, "C'mon we'll get mine and fix those. Mom is going to kill you when she finds out you did this again. You have got to be more careful around silver."

"Not my fault Dad's a werewolf." I muttered as she pulled me from the training room, Maxy and her lessons forgotten for a moment.

I had been born late in both my parents lives. My mom Jocelyn had Clary when she was young and then 19 years and a second marriage later she had unexpectedly found herself pregnant with me. Both my parents had been born Shadowhunters but my Dad Luke had been bitten by a werewolf and subsequently contracted the curse.

No one thought that Shadowhunters and Werewolves could have kids but here I was. There was truthfully no logical explanation for why I existed but most of the people in my life agreed that it probably had something to do with the fact that my sister was far from normal. Her father had fed our Mom angel blood while she was pregnant with her. There was no way Mom could've escaped without any side effects and apparently I was one of those.

It was thanks to the fact that I had a weak trace of werewolf blood that I was allergic to silver. Touching it gave me rashes and sometimes if I had enough contact with it for a long enough time I would get burned. Other than that I was no different from Maxy or Christian, the son of my Uncle Magnus and Uncle Alec.

Clary pulled me into the kitchen where her bag containing her steele sat along with the groceries. She instructed me to sit down on a stool before retrieving her steele and settling in front of me. Taking my hand she carefully began to draw an iratze onto the inside of my forearm.

"You have to be more careful Ana. One day you're going to do some real damage to yourself." she said looking at me.

I sighed, "Well what do you want me to do?"

"How about you use the weapons that aren't made of silver? Or at least use gloves." she replied.

"Gloves mess with my grip." I protested.

"Well having the skin burned off your hands will do the same thing." Clary said dryly.

After a few moments the burns on my hands began to heal and Clary sat back happy with her job.

"So now that that's done where is Maxy?" Clary asked looking at me.

"She's in the library studying."

I looked up as Jace walked into the kitchen, snagging an apple out of the bag before leaning against the counter.

"What? No she's not!" Clary replied.

"You can check for yourself. I just saw her." he said.

She sighed and looked at me, "Looks like you two got away with it this time but next time you're not going to be so lucky. Now both of you get out so I can put away groceries." and shooed us out.

"Is Maxy really in the library?" I asked as Jace and I walked out.

"Of course. Would I lie?" he asked raising his eyebrows at me.

"Yes." I replied.

"I passed her on the stairs. You know lying to Clary isn't very nice." he said.

"Would you rat out Uncle Alec?" I asked.

"In an instant!" Jace replied.

"Liar." I said and he grinned and shook his head.

"Just be careful. I'm not always going to around to save you." he said with a wink and wandered upstairs towards the training room, leaving me to head to my room and change out of my training clothes.

*********************************

"How goes the studying?" I asked as I sat down beside Maxy who was copying things from a demonology book.

"Almost done. Thank the Angel." she sighed.

"I'll have you know that I almost got caught lying for you." I said pulling a stray blank sheet of paper towards me as I started sketching Maxy.

Maxy had long blonde hair that she kept tied in a braid down her back and green eyes that mirrored my sister and I's. The hair along with most of her other features and temperament she got from her Dad, Jace.

We had been best friends since we were tiny and parabatai since we were 14. My mom had had me and not long after my sister had found out she was pregnant with Maxy. So technically she was my neice and I was her aunt but the age gap between us was only 19 months so we'd ended up friends instead.

Even though both of my parents were Ex-Shadowhunters I had pretty much grown up at the Institute thanks to the fact my sister was here and even though I was only blood related her her and Maxy everyone was family. I called both Alec and Magnus Uncle and Isabelle Aunt just like both Christian and Maxy did for that reason.

"Sorry." she laughed looking up at me.

I shrugged and went to work on doodling runes, getting bored of sketching out Maxy.

"Your 'soundless' rune is backwards."

I looked up and found a pair of blue eyes looking back at me.

"I know that Christian. I did it on purpose." I said and stuck my tongue out at him.

"If you say so." he replied and sat down next to me.

Christian was the son of my Uncle Magnus and Uncle Alec. He had been born to Aline Penhallow who had served as a surrogate for the two of them. Since Warlocks were infertal his biological Dad was Uncle Alec whom he had inherited his blue eyes and dark hair. However thanks to the fact that Aline's mother was asian the shape of his cheeks and eyes could nearly fool you into thinking he had some of Uncle Magnus in him as well.

The two of us were the same age with him being just a couple of months older than me. Of course this gave him clearance to act all superior at times. And of course Maxy and I took every chance to knock him down a peg or two when he got in that state. We saw it as a duty so that his head wouldn't over inflate and throw off his balance while he was training.

I wadded the paper up and threw it at him, the ball of paper bouncing off his head and into the waste bin behind him.

"Nice shot!" Maxy said and high fived me before slapping her book closed.

"Finally done?" I asked.

"Yes and I'm starving." she replied.

"Taki's?" I asked

"Sounds good. You coming Christian?" Maxy asked as she straightend her papers and stacked them on top of her book.

"I could probably eat." he replied standing up.

The three of us headed out of the library, heading downstairs to leave. However we had just reached the top of the stairs when we were nearly bowled over by Jace who was running up the stairs at top speed, Alec on his heels, both in full gear.

"Mom? What's going on?" Maxy asked as Clary appeared at the foot of the steps dressed in gear as well.

"The Clave has called all of us back to Idris for an Emergancy." Clary replied.

"Should we go pack?" Christian asked.

"No it's just all Shadowhunters who are of age. You three are going to stay here." Clary said as we walked the rest of the way down.

"Clary! Magnus nearly has the portal done!" I heard Jace yell from somewhere upstairs.

"Coming!!!" Clary called.

We all followed behind closely as they made their way up to the training room. When we got up there everyone was standing around, the portal shimmering on the wall.

"Alright you three we'll be gone 3 days at most. Behave." Clary said, her eyes turning to Maxy and I.

"Why are you looking at us when you say that?" I asked.

"Yeah Mom, your mistrust hurts us both very deeply. How could you do that to your own flesh and blood before you leave for who knows how long?" Maxy said putting her arm around my shoulders, both of us flashing her sad looks.

"Don't worry Clary I'll take good care of them. You have nothing to worry about." Magnus assured her.

"Where's Isabelle?" Jace asked.

"I called her. She was just down the street so she should be here any time." Alec replied.

As if on cue the door to the training room opened again and Aunt Isabelle came sweeping in. She was dressed in her full gear, her black hair hanging loose around her shoulders. Walking over she put her arms around Maxy and I's shoulders, reaching out to muss Christian's hair.

"So how are my favorite Nieces and Nephew?" she asked.

"We're good Aunt Izzy." I smiled.

"Great. So is the portal ready?" Aunt Isabelle asked looking up at the others.

"Mangus just finished it." Alec said.

"Then let's get going." she said.

"We were waiting on you actually." Jace replied.

"Okay we'll be back as soon as possible. Love you guys." Clary said and moved towards us.
She hugged all three of us before heading towards the portal, stepping through. Aunt Izzy pressed a kiss to each of our cheeks before following in her wake. Jace and Alec hugged us all and then were gone too.

"So Taki's now?" Maxy asked once everyone was gone.

"Yep. I'm still starving." I replied.

"Same." Christian nodded.

"Hey did you three ask if you could go out?" Magnus asked looking at us.

We all exchanged looks before Maxy answered.

"No."

"Okay just checking. Don't be out too late." he said and we started towards the door.

"Oh! Christian make sure those two don't touch the Fairy sweets again. The last thing I need is Jocelyn, Clary and Alec asking me why the three of you decided to paint yourselves green and do cartwheels down the stairs." Magnus said.

"That was one time!" Maxy scoffed.

"Not anywhere near them." Magnus said looking at Christian.

"No problem Pop." Christian nodded.

"You're no fun." I said looking at Magnus.

"Fine do what you want. I warned you. Just take photos." Magnus said.

With that the three of us turned and walked out of the training room.

"You know Uncle Magnus really isn't the best at being in charge of 3 teenagers." I said as we emerged from the Institute and into the sunlight.

"Yeah but at least he won't force us to do endless lessons. And that means more time for training." Maxy nodded.

"Yep." I grinned.

"You two always try to get out of everything." Christian sighed.

"Yeah but you love us. Now c'mon...you can show us how much you love us by treating us at Taki's." Maxy grinned.

Christian shook his head but smiled and we headed for the diner.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this story is actually a rewrite of one I posted before.

I lost absolutely all inspiration for it and after my laptop went kaput on me my half baked attempt at finishing it went with it.

Then when I was planning to delete it this came to me! And now it's been rewritten and posted again!

I hope you all like it!

And if you do please comment and subscribe!!!!

Thanks for reading!!!!