Captain Clutch

Chapter 23

The end of January was here, Maxime and I were sitting at the kitchen table. Once a week I stayed at home and had nice breakfast with Maxime. We used to spend a bunch of time together, but now I spent all my time with Sidney. Maxime was reading the newspaper and I was watching the small TV we had on the far side of the room. We heard a knock at the door. I leaped up.
“I’ll get it.” I called as I hurried toward the door. I flung it open to see Mario Lemieux and Dan Bylsma standing on the front step.
“Hello Kayla.” Mario said smiling at me. I smiled back.
“Is Max at home?” Dan asked.
“Yes, he’s in the kitchen.” I said gesturing for them to come in.
“Who’s at the door?” Maxime yelled from the kitchen. The two men came in and took their shoes off. I lead them into the kitchen where Maxime was sitting. Maxime turned to face us as we all entered the room.
“Max.” Mario said shaking Maximes hand.
“Oh Mario, Dan. This is a surprise.” Maxime said.
“We need to talk about something.” Mario said taking a seat across from Maxime. Dan sat as well.
“I’ll leave you guys alone.” I said walking toward the door.
“I think you should stay Kayla.” Mario said looking at me and gesturing for me to sit. I took a deep breath and sat next to my brother in the open chair.
“Max, we have some news.” Dan said after a couple minutes of silence.
“Okay?” Maxime said a questioning tone in his voice.
“You’ve been traded.” Mario said simply.
“What?” I said. I couldn’t help myself. I felt like my life was falling apart. I couldn’t believe my ears.
“Oh.” Maxime said.
“You will be going to the Flyers.” Mario said. My jaw dropped.
“I see.” Maxime said.
“They really want you on their team Max. They made us a deal we couldn’t refuse.” Dan said.
“That’s not to say you haven’t done amazing things for this team. Things we will be thankful for forever.” Mario added.
“So when do I move?” Maxime asked. He was taking this news so well. I couldn’t believe it.
“You have a week to move there and find a house before you will begin playing.” Mario said.
“Again, thank you for everything Max. We appreciate it all.” Dan said. The three men stood. Max shook their hands and walked them out. I sat motionless. I couldn’t believe what had just happened. I was going to have to move with my brother. The life I had built here would be over. I could always go back to Montreal, but my other brothers have families. I couldn’t disturb that. I also couldn’t afford to stay here on my own. I don’t have a job because Maxime supports me. I couldn’t just leave Sidney. He was the best part of my life here in Pittsburgh. Its hard enough as it is, but now how would we manage. Being in different cities on different teams. This was the worst thing that could happen to me right now. Tears welled up in my eyes. I heard Maxime come up behind me.
“Wow.” He said. I didn’t say anything at first. I didn’t really know what to say.
“I don’t want to leave.” I said.
“Kayla, I don’t have a choice.” Maxime said.
“No Maxime. I’m not leaving.” I said turning to face him.
“Kayla, you can’t stay here alone. Its not happening.” Maxime said looking at me with a stern look on his face.
"Yes it is." I screamed back at him.
"No we are going to Philly. End of discussion." Maxime said simply before turning on his heel and leaving the room.
I felt tears start to pour down my face and I couldn't stop them. I knew I didn't have a choice. Maxime was my only income. He supports me. I couldn't do this. I couldn't leave Sidney or my new family. My mind was racing a mile a minute so I did the one thing I always did when something bad happened. I called Brandon.