Dearly Beloved

Grieve

Empty eyes stared out into the vast plains of her kingdom filled with people of confusion and worry. Not everyone in her land knew what exactly happened; only the blood dotted across her face is the sole reminder. Her nimble fingers clutched at the skirt of her dress partially dried from deeper red that tainted her dress.

Even she couldn’t comprehend what had happened. She was deceived along with her king and people, miraculously she survived the chaos. Hansa considered herself cursed as she now alone in the kingdom and is forced to announce the news of their fallen king.

“My Lady, we must help you strip your dress.” One of her ladies in waiting shyly whispered, Hansa turned to the withdrawn woman, the first to enter her room since she arrived. Giving Maria a stiff nod, she scrambled to the queen and slowly untied the corset; soon she remembered how tightly she was laced into it when her ribs screamed in relief.

A loud exhale came from her lips leaving Maria in a long pause asking if she was alright before picking up again. Slipping out of her dress, Hansa disregarded the gasp as blood stained her skin. Turning on her heel, she walked towards the tub filled with warm water.

The steam rising in puffs of air, dipping her toes she almost withdrew from the scalding sensation to press forward and dip her entire body. She wanted to feel some type of pain instead of the numbness in her heart. Reflections of what transpired the previous night plagued her mind, afraid to close her eyes; she scrubbed her face harshly to take off the caked blood.

Water fell from above her, Maria scrubbing the dark tresses not muttering a single word of astonishment. She silently thanked her lady in waiting for keeping her thoughts to herself watching the clear water easily turn a light copper tone.

Soon it turned a darker shade of red once her body was fully scrubbed clean, but it didn’t wash away the memories. Dunking her head in the warm water, the searing pain etched on her skin subsided as it has been replaced with numbness, a small reminder of what her heart feels like. Hansa almost settled further into the water until Maria politely asked her if she was ready to come out.

A stiff nod of her head, she gathered her hands on the sides of the tub pushing her shaken body up, the cool air bit at her skin, small bumps collecting before a shiver occurred. Given something to dry off with, she patted herself down feeling Maria twisting her hair letting the water drip out of it.

It felt like any other day, standing there as her ladies in waiting helped her step into a new dress, black for mourning purposes. She never had to wear it, stowing it for when the time comes and her husband, bless his soul, hoped that she never had to wear it. Faith may have her as it tucked away in a place of darkness, out in misery, her soft hands smoothly glided over the material.

A soft sheer cover fell upon her face, out of tradition for her heritage; a widow should refuse to display her face in public for a month possibly more if needed. Hansa sighed feeling the welcoming constriction of her corset lingering on her ribs, taking tiny steps out of her room, her ladies trailing behind her for support.

Many times she has been advised for one of the council to make the announcement while she is left to grieve. Hansa refused to let that be, she rather deliver the news, having the courage to stand there and be the queen her people looked up to. She cannot be weak at a time like this and however she may grieve it will be in the privacy of her living quarters and nowhere else.

Demanding to have the congregation in the courtyard, she didn’t feel the nerves she usually felt when she stood by her late husband’s side. All of her petty fears were brushed aside, her shoulders squared as she stood above the crowd.

Silence filled the air, not a single sound is heard as the congregation stared at their queen, completely hidden from the world, but her voice still held regality. “My fellow people, I am burdened with a heavy heart to share you the grave news that your king, my beloved, Charles have been slain along with many of our soldiers. We were tricked into believing that the House of Dane was to be future allies, supporting us in our cause. With their selfish hearts they claimed many lives that night, but they did not claim me. I swear on my honor that I will protect and aid you in any possible way, families that have lost a loved one may come forth and I will compensate with whatever you need. As your queen, I will not abandon you.”

Shock shook every being as they listened to the news they didn’t want to believe. Bewilderment, anger, despair all gave in to their features, even with the sheer cover, Hansa can still see their faces. Tears and sadness hit every soul, swallowing her emotions, she stepped back before her legs automatically started to quicken having her sprint to the gardens.

Shallow breaths were heard as she fell to the ground in tears. “My Lady!” Shouts from behind came closer, concerned with her antics, she shook her head wanting to dismiss them, but didn’t have the energy to do so. Her fingers clawed at the grassy patches beneath her, soil digging underneath her nails, continuing to add pressure a small pain shot through her fingernails.

Hansa could care less what the pain felt like, it made her feel; at least she felt something than the numbness and disbelief that is coursing through her at this moment.

Drowning out the voices surrounding her, she pressed her cheek to the ground, tickling her skin as she lied there to gain some serenity. Nothing seems to be working, every time she closes her eyes she sees blood, arrows embedding within her husband and guards that sworn to protect them. Charles with a heart of a lion refused to kneel, Hansel Dane, the patriarch of his family commanded them to kneel before him and he will consider setting them free.

Charles declined and with a sinister grin, Hansel forced Hansa to watch as he pressed a large blade against her husband, Charles deep brown eyes expressing how deeply sorry he was refusing to look away from her wanting her to know how much she meant to him. Moments later, the traitor threw his head onto her lap, a scream emitting from her throat, filled with agony and despair.

Never has Charles looked away, his brown eyes still looking up at her as the head sat on her lap. Dull and lack of shine, and life, she cradled his head as her body wracked with sobs.

Her eyes opened quickly to see that she is lying on her bed, her face free from her personal shield.

Then a voice answered her questions, “You lost consciousness not too long ago and were carried back to your room.” Hansa turned her head towards the voice to see the one face she never thought she would see again, a tender smile etched on his soft features as he muttered, “Hello, my queen.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Guess who it is? I'm excited for a story like this, i have so many ideas for so many different stories. If you are one of my religious followers you know this isn't new. I do this all the time, I just hope not to lost momentum. These chapters are usually going to be short unless I have more to say haha

Hope you enjoyed it :D