Door to Darkness

Seventeen

It was the first time she had seen him for what felt like years. Lord knows why she missed him and wanted to see the man who absolutely terrified her, but she did. And there he was, standing in the doorway of her bedroom, staring at her. He had asked Fenrir to leave not moments before, after whispering something into the shorter man's rabbit ear.

Alice had been curled up under her blankets, with Fenrir sitting at her bedside, watching over her. Now she was sitting up and had her blankets held up to her chin. The sight was overwhelmingly adorable for Finnian, who had resisted seeing her for a very long time. It is only because she looks like Mary, he thought.

"Are- are you going to come in?" Alice asked. Finnian jumped slightly, and Alice smiled. He was not usually one you could startle so easily.

"Ah, yes," he nodded and stepped into the room, closing the door behind himself. He still continued to just stand there, and that frustrated Alice the smallest bit.

"I was going to come see you myself," she told him. He raised his gaze from the floor, watching as she let her blankets fall from her hands.

"Oh, were you?" Finnian inquired. He sounded mildly amused. It was as if he thought she wouldn't have made it to him no matter how hard she tried.

"Yes," Alice nodded. Finnian chuckled and brought his gloved fingers to his lips. They rested there for a moment and then he pulled them away again, finished with his laughter.

"My dear Alice, you could not have," he said as if it was a matter-of-fact. "I gave orders out to many within the castle."

"I'd have found a way," Alice said. Determination rested within her voice and within her gaze. "I am a witch, after all. I'm sure I could have used some sort of spell to get to you if I truly wanted to. I could also invade your mind."

"Ah, yes," Finnian sighed and turned away from her. "I almost forgot about the powers you hold within you. Even so why would you want to see me?"

"Why wouldn't you want me to see you?" she countered. The question had been gnawing at he for days. Had she become repulsive? Was he embarrassed that his life had been saved by a girl? Did he somehow find out about the plan she and Fenrir shared? If he had found out about it though, he more than likely would have already put a stop to it.

"I had thought that you would fear me," he said; his voice was so quiet she almost didn't hear him. Relief flooded through her when she confirmed that he hadn't discovered her plans.

"I- I do, a little bit," Alice said. "Only when you're mad." Finnian was silent for a moment, and slowly turned back toward her.

"You- did you not see- I turned into a monster," he stuttered out. "I am a monster. I am keeping you here, a prisoner, and I plan to- to use your powers to..."

She was still absorbing the information, though she didn't miss a beat and she asked, "Use my powers to what?"

"Come with me," he said, holding his hand out to her. "As of right now, Fenrir has gathered several trustworthy people for the meeting I have planned. I need you to come with me; you are a very important part of this plan I have."

"I am?" she wondered aloud, getting out of bed.

"Yes, now please come," he nodded at her. She made a step toward him, then stepped back again as a realization dawned on her.

"I'm still wearing my nightgown," she said. "I have to get dressed first-"

"Alice, there is no time," Finnian sounded frustrated. "Please, just come with me." He extended his hand further out to her.

"Says the man who would normally complain about my state of dress." She raised an eyebrow at him and placed her hand in his.

"There is no time to worry about that now," he spoke quietly as his fingers closed around hers.

It felt different compared to when Fenrir held her hand. Fenrir's touch felt loving and unafraid. Finnian's touch was so very gentle, as if he were scared she would break. She wasn't sure if this amused her, or if it made her heart ache for her to tell him that it was alright, he could hold her hand a little tighter.

He lead her quickly from the room and down several hallways. As they passed random people, they hid in the shadows. Alice wondered why he felt the need to be hidden, but didn't question it aloud.

They entered what she assumed must have been his office. Several people, including Fenrir, filled the room. He stood tall with his back against the wall, and his ears were raised. She had to hold back a laugh at how out-of-place he looked.

He watched them as Finnian shut the door behind them, and she thought she caught a hint of jealousy in his eye. Finnian didn't let go of her hand and walked with her over to his desk.

"Everyone," he said, "I have gathered you here for a reason- and so few of you for yet another reason. I have some more, rather important information on what is happening to our world. While we think it is our world that is falling apart, and that it will bring about our destruction, truly it is actually a barrier around our world that is falling to pieces."

Gasps came from many of the shadows in the room. Even Alice and Fenrir had shock evident on their faces.

"If we continue to worsen the cracks in this barrier, we will be able to travel to Lucifer's kingdom. I-"

Alice interrupted him, "Could I possibly travel back home instead?"

Finnian gave her an odd look before replying, "Theoretically yes. But that is not allowed, and it is not going to happen. Now... We will need those with magic to help tear own this barrier- to worsen the cracks. Alice, this is where we need your help."

"I- I'm not that strong," she said.

"Not yet," Finnian grinned. "Fenrir will be training you. You are all except Fenrir and Alice dismissed."

People left the room until Alice, Fenrir, and Finnian were the only ones remaining. Finnian placed his hands on their shoulders and guided them toward the doorway, causing Alice to feel once more confused. She kept her mouth shut though.

"Promise me, Fenrir, that you will take good care of Alice and for the following weeks train her well," Finnian whispered.

"I promise," Fenrir agreed and nodded his head.

"Thank you, now you two be off," Finnian pushed them gently out the door. He said to them before closing the door, "I must be alone for now."

Alice and Fenrir were quiet the whole walk back to her room. She fought very hard to contain her excitement; it wouldn't do to have their thoughts become exposed. The door was quickly shut behind them once they were safely within her bedroom.

"We don't have to wait for a door," she squeaked, gripping his arms tightly.

"All we have to do is search for one of the cracks in the world," Fenrir said, and he was equally as excited. He held onto her arms as well. Alice giggled and tightened her grip.

"Though I need training," she whispered, suddenly looking past him. Her gaze seemed to glaze over.

"Don't worry," Fenrir grinned. "I am actually a brilliant teacher, when it comes to magic. Finnian and I became great friends once because of it."

"You taught magic to Finnian?" Alice asked. She had snapped back to reality.

"I taught him how to use it properly, yes," Fenrir laughed. "It was a long time ago. Now, come on. We have work to do."
♠ ♠ ♠
So very, very close to the end.