Door to Darkness

Three

March Hare? Alice thought. Wasn't that a character from a book? She raised an eyebrow, and kept herself from laughing at how well his name suited him.

"How do you do?" Fenrir asked.

"She is fairing quite well, thank you for asking," Finnian said. Alice felt it odd that he had answered for her, but allowed the thought to pass. "We had best be on our way now. Goodbye, Fenrir."

Finnian waved his hand, and Fenrir disappeared. Rather, the room around them faded and they disappeared. They were in yet another garden, this one even larger than the other two combined.

"Why did you do that? Why did we have to go?" Alice gripped Finnian's arm tightly as the questions left her. He pulled his arm away from her.

"Why must you ask so many ridiculous questions?" The look on his face and they way his voice sounded made her shiver. She crossed her arms and looked him in the eye even so.

"I'm sorry, but I've been thrown into some strange world where some crazy man somehow has magical powers, with no recollection of who I even am!" He winced at the volume of her voice. "I think I deserve some answers."

"This is my kingdom," he said, pointing to himself. "You do not have the right to demand anything of me. You are here because I allow it, and I can send you on out the door if I so wish."

Alice shrank back, her arms dropping back to her sides. The area grew darker as Finnian loomed over her. She thought she saw a few tendrils of darkness creep out of his sleeves.

"I have a very short temper, and I will not tolerate much more of your rudeness!" he growled. She looked up at him and shook. "I will be the one to ask any questions, and you will politely answer. Have I made myself perfectly clear?"

Her heart pounded wildly within her chest. Just who- or what- was this guy? She really didn't want him to speak to her that way, but her fear of what he could do left her no choice. She nodded in defeat.

"Excellent," he smiled.

A sigh of relief left her when he turned away from her, and she watched him with caution. What was he doing now? After bending over one of the flower bushes for a moment, he swiftly turned back around toward her. Alice flinched and half expected him to hit her.

"This is for you." He thrust a bright red rose out to her.

"I- thank you," she said and took the flower from him. Her fingertips lightly brushed over his hand, and even through the glove she could feel how cold his skin was. Looking into his eyes, and him into hers, they both seemed mesmerized for a moment.

"You look like her," he whispered, gently touching her cheek with his fingertips. His touch was icy.

"Like who?" Alice furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

The tenderness in his gaze faded, and his lips formed a tight line. He drew his hand back and stepped away from her, clucking his tongue and wagging his finger. Her eyes widened when she realized why.

"I am the one to be asking questions, remember?" he said. Alice nodded and prayed he would do nothing to her.

"I'm sorry," she gave him a hopeful smile.

"Very well, you seem to have learned your lesson," he nodded to himself. He held his arm out to her. "Shall we continue on with our tour?"

This time she willingly placed her hand on his arm. Where would they be off to next? Her stomach rumbled and Finnian laughed.

"Off to the kitchen we shall go, then."

He lead her through the garden, humming the tune he had played on his piano when she first met him all the way. What an odd man, she thought. Thoughts of whom it might have been that she reminded him of slipped from her mind, the need for food taking over.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, but oh well. Chapter four- which is a bit longer- has also been completed, but it's such a chore to type these up.