Status: Slow Updates

Tortured Within

Sometimes The Moon Looks Brighter Than The Sun (Chapter 2)

The light coming through the curtains was blinding.
“Ugh,” I moaned and rolled off my back and onto my right side. Instead of my usual black bedside table with my phone and book on the top of it, there was some white table.
“What, where am I?” I quickly turned onto my back and sat upright. I looked around the room and saw it wasn’t my bedroom. There was the bed I was in, the table next to the bed, a lounge chair in the corner opposite the door and a shelf above the chair. Everything in the room was white and it all looked very clinical.
‘Where could I possibly be?’ I thought.
I was struggling to remember what had happened to me before I woke up. Before I had any more time to think, there were some quick footsteps just outside the room I was in and then a quiet knock on the door. The door slowly creaked open and a tiny woman in blue nurses clothes walked in.
“Ah, you’re awake sweetie. How was your sleep?” She asked me.
I hesitated before answering “good, I guess.”
“Ah! Fantastic! Are you hungry? Feeling nauseous?”
‘Why is she asking me all these weird questions?’ I thought to myself.
“No,” I said slowly.
The woman nodded and mumbled something. She picked up a clipboard that was hanging off the end of the bed. I watched her eyes scan the first piece of paper before she flipped to the next page and read the first paragraph.
“Aw sweetie, seems like you’ve had a rough time in the past couple of weeks,” She almost sounded sympathetic. But I could tell that she didn’t really care and she was trying to make me feel better about what had happened.
‘What did happen?’ I asked myself. I still struggled to remember.
I think the woman saw the confusion and struggle on my face so she asked, “You having trouble thinking of something sweetie?”
I snapped out of my thinking and didn’t reply to the woman. I just simply stared at her. She got uncomfortable with my staring so she walked out the room and I heard her short heels stop just outside the window next to the door.
“She’s confused, I don’t think she remembers what happened. She also didn’t want food and she didn’t feel nauseous,” I heard the woman say to someone else who was with her.
“Ok, just keep an eye on her. Did you read her file?”
“Yep, sounds like she was a complete mess. I sort of feel sorry for her.”
“Well you can’t be sympathetic for her, you know you can’t get attached to patients,” the other person said. It sounded like a man. I heard someone let out a heavy sigh and both of them walk away.
I felt relieved that the woman was gone. I lay down on my back and stared at the ceiling. It was plain white and ugly. I kept staring at the ceiling as I replayed what had happened in my head.
‘She asked me whether I was hungry or nauseous. Then she looked at the clipboard at the end of my bed.’ The clipboard! Maybe that would give me a clue as to where the freakin’ hell I was. I was about sit up when I thought I heard footsteps.
‘What did they say out there again? “I don’t think she remembers” The woman said. Then the man said to keep an eye on me and asked if she read my file. A complete mess and feeling sorry for me then something about not getting attached to patients.’ Patients? What? I sat upright and looked down at my clothes. A thin long white gown with ties at the back.
‘This is what people wear at hospitals’ I thought. Oh no. I pulled back the blanket that was covering me and crawled down the bed to the find the chain where the clipboard was hanging. I reached down and grabbed the chain. I slowly pulled it up and I grabbed the top of the board. ‘Yes’ I started to flip it around when the door opened and the woman from earlier came in. She was carrying a tray with a glass of water and some biscuits.
“What are you doing?!” She looked startled and she quickly put the tray on the table and snatched the clipboard out of my hand.
“What?” I asked with a hint of aggression in my voice.
“You can’t read that. Not yet anyway. Please just leave it alone and have some food and water,” She said sternly and she unhooked the clipboard from the chain. She walked back towards the door and stopped just before opening it. She turned and looked at me right in the eyes, “Do not do anything drastic or I will be forced to bring in my boss, and you do not want that to happen.”
She turned back to the door, opened it and then slammed it shut. I sighed and went back to the top of the bed and sat. I remembered her face when she walked first walked in ‘I must have done something seriously bad before I woke up this morning’