Fatal Dose

Carwyn Dythen

"This is all your fault," Carwyn mumbled as Claire drove into the almost empty hospital car park. His left hand was holding three fingers from his right hand, making sure that they didn't move too much. After countless broken bones, he knew when to take precautions.

She parked the car and turned off the engine. "Of course it's my fault. It's always my fucking fault," she snapped, glancing at him before getting out the car. She knew that it was neither his fault or her fault but rather his disability that made him lose his temper, but that still didn't stop their arguing. It was hard being his girlfriend but they had been together for a long time and she knew that he needed someone who could understand his disability, and despite how bad for each other his mother thought they were, she was also good for him as well. It was just whenever they had to make a late night trip like they were now did her spiteful side rear its head the most.

Carwyn clumsily climbed out of the car, hissing when he knocked his fingers against the door. The Accident and Emergency entrance was closest to them but it still took a while for them to make it over because every time they would go towards it, Carwyn would turn back around and head towards the car, grumbling about how this was a waste of time and how he didn't care about his fingers any more. In the end Claire grabbed his free hand and dragged him across the car park and towards the entrance. As they approached the little road between the car park and the entrance, a dark car drove towards them and they both had to jump back to avoid being hit by it.

"Watch it!" Carwyn shouted as the car turned into the car park before they crossed towards the entrance. The thing about hospitals was that they were often waiting for over two hours before finally being seen by a doctor only for his injury to either be taped or bandaged and be told to be careful next time, and then they would be off. The average time it took for the doctor to sort him out was ten minutes - if that - so the two hour wait just took the mickey.

After giving his details at the reception area, Carwyn and Claire sat down on the plastic seats. She grabbed one of the magazines from the table in front of them while he just watched the television, even though the channel was talking about gardening and he didn't care a single bit about how to plant different seeds correctly. After a while he glanced down at his hand and tried moving his fingers, managing to wiggle them slightly before the pain became too much. He'd experienced broken fingers before and as far as he could recall, they had been like his fingers were now. That meant that he was only here for his fingers to be taped together and be reprimanded by the doctor for being reckless. He hated how superior they acted to him, like they had never broken a bone before or even had to go to the doctors' for something as common, such as the flu.

After about an hour and a half, Claire suddenly placed her hand on his thigh. "Keep still," she muttered, halting his movement that he hadn't realised he had been doing. "It's annoying."

He rolled his eyes and was about to reply when a doctor came through the door and called his name. Casting a look towards Claire, he got up and went with the doctor to one of the examining rooms. And like suspected, three fingers were broken that he got taped up, and just as he was about to escape without a reprimanding, the doctor tutted. "Try to be more careful," she said, gesturing to his fingers. "You come here far too often."

"I know," he said, shrugging. "It's not my fault." And with that, he left the examining room and went back to the waiting area where Claire looked like she was about to fall asleep. He roused her from the chair and they left the building, entering the cold night air.

They had just crossed the road when Claire grabbed his arm to get his attention. "That car was the one that almost hit us," she said, motioning with her head to the dark car that was two rows over from where they were parked. As they approached their car they could see darker shadows in the window of the other car, making it look like people were in it.

"Whatever," he said, dismissing her words. "Let's just go home." No sooner had he said those words did they reach their car and notice a note was placed under their windscreen wipers. Carwyn pulled it out and unfolded it, the words putting him on edge.

Mr Dythen.

Be vigilant. They're watching you.
Don't open the door to anyone you don't know.

- CB