Status: Active

Somewhere Only We Know

A Promise

The week went by slowly for Camille. As soon as they returned to their house in France, her father packed and there wasn’t much of an emotional goodbye. Both Camille and her mother were upset at her father and he didn’t apologise to either of them as he was taken to the train station where he gathered with other men he hadn’t seen since the last war.

Camille stood by her mother as they watched Aaron disappear and then she heard her mother’s sobs. With a sigh, she gently moved to hug the woman but Carol said nothing. She couldn’t find the right words, her pain was too great.

The two women returned home and Camille wasn’t sure of how to deal with her mother. She kept her excitement mostly hidden, so as not to cause her mother more pain, but she was anxious for Ben to come over and pick her up. It was probably the last time they could do anything together.

A letter arrived to announce that he’d come the next day so Camille finished packing and she was relieved that her mother seemed not to want to stop her. She even let Mel go with Camille, if she so pleased.

Composing himself, Ben took a deep breath as he got off the rental car he had gotten at the train station. Going up the steps to Camille’s front door, he cleared his throat before he rang the door bell.

To his surprise, she got the door herself and he chuckled as she moved forward to embrace him tight. It had been almost two weeks since the wedding, all the preparations for war and departures had forced Ben to stay home longer than he wished but, at least now, he could spend his last days with Camille before going.

“Hello, my gorgeous petit madame.” He grinned.

Camille pulled back with a chuckle “I may be a madame but I’m not that petit, you’re just too tall.” She smiled, welcoming him. Her luggage was already downstairs and so was her mother to see them off.

Ben greeted Carol and, upon seeing Mel, he extended an envelope her way. “I hope you can get this to Luz. It would matter a whole lot.” He said softly and Mel knew immediately that it could only be from Henry.

Despite being in England for that whole time, the young man had written to Luz every week without a falter and her hard ways had begun to soften. Despite her fiery temper, Luz was always happy to write back when she could and she had even practice her English more with Camille, so that she could reply in Henry’s tongue. Love had slowly but surely blossomed between them but that final letter was almost a goodbye. Henry told Luz that, if he did come back alive, he would go straight to her. He didn’t care what people said, he wanted to be with her and Luz held on to that hope.

“Is everything ready?” Ben asked Camille softly and she nodded.

He smiled and took her luggage out while Camille hugged her mother, thanking her for giving her this chance. Carol merely told her to be safe and return home when Ben went off to war.

Joining Ben in the car, Camille was happy but nervous. They had never actually been alone for more than a few yours but she knew that this was their best chance to spend time together. She had no idea of how long they’d be apart afterwards.

The trip to Spain took a couple of hours and Camille slept for most of it. She woke as Ben gently touched her shoulder.

“We’re here.” He said softly as she blinked her eyes open.

Seeing the white mansion ahead of them, she gasped and took his hand as he helped her out.

“Wow... This is beautiful.” She smiled happily.

She was amazed at the fact that Ben was able to own such a place and it was clear that it was pretty much isolated, with tall trees all around the property, making it very green and beautiful.

“I’m glad you like it. I... I bought this with you in mind.” Ben admitted as they stood together, merely admiring the house. “I didn’t know about feelings before but I’m just glad you’re here now. Let me show you inside.”

As he took her hand, a couple of servants came out and greeted them before they took their belongings upstairs, though to separate rooms. Despite this being a new and slightly shocking way, it was considered courting nonetheless.

Entering the house, Camille was marvelled at how much light it had. All the windows were big and everything was just so tidy, light and peaceful. Ben showed her the first floor with the dining room, living room and so on and then he showed her upstairs. First the library, then his office and finally her bedroom.

“I still have something else to show you but maybe you want to settle in first?” Ben smiled as Camille walked in.

Her bedroom had been carefully decorated by him, with the help of his servants for a female’s touch. He was a bit nervously as to see if she liked it and felt comfortable. He watched her touch the silk of the bed and head to the window.

“Settling can wait. Anymore mysteries about this beautiful house?” Camille smiled as she walked back to Ben.

“Just one more.”He said moving to cover her eyes as they walked down the hall.

Camille laughed as Ben carefully led her inside a large room, which was meant to be an extra bedroom but which he had completely transformed in order to give her something special.

“I hope you like this, I made it just for you.” Ben said as he released her eyes.

As Camille opened her eyes, she gasped. In front of her was the dancing studio that she always wished she could have had since she was a little girl. Tears filled her eyes as she looked back at Ben.

“This... this is real? You... You made a studio for me?” She asked, clearly overwhelmed with her emotions as Ben nodded.

“Yes, when we spoke about ballet, it was so clear to me that it’s your passion and I hope I didn’t do anything bad by preparing this. I just want you to know, Camie, that I support your dream fully. If you want to return to ballet, I will be here to cheer you on and applaud you.”

Camille bit her bottom lip and pressed to Ben’s chest so she could hug him.

“I’m overwhelmed... I... I never felt this much support before. I had pretty much pushed this dream back, thinking I’d never have the chance. You really... you believe in me?”

“As much as you believe in me and my talent to be a good doctor.” He smiled softly, pecking her forehead “I hope you are happy?”

“Happy? Oh Ben... I’ve never been happier.” She smiled happily as she leaned up to kiss him deeply as they embraced tightly.

A few servants giggled as they passed by and Camille blushed as she pulled back. “I’ll work here a bit tomorrow, getting back will be hard but I’m willing to try.”

“I’m glad. Now go and rest, it’s been a long trip.” Ben smiled as he slowly released her.

“Sounds good. I’ll see you at dinner.” Camille said, kissing him softly before she went away.

It was clear that both Camille and Ben were restraining their sexual impulses. He would have given anything to be able to follow her but he held himself back while she double-checked. Camille had no experience but she wanted to give herself to Ben, though she didn’t know how. She knew he wanted to be traditional and wait for their future wedding but what if he didn’t survive that far?

That thought terrorised her and she was unable to get any sleep in those hours. What if Ben left and never returned? What would become of her? She couldn’t let him go before they got united somehow, she needed it and she knew it would make her more respectful to those that were around them.

As dinner time arrived, Ben smiled as he was joined by Camille. He looked at her face and frowned, though he waited for the servants to go before speaking.

“Did you sleep at all?”He asked softly, taking her hand as he filled their glasses with wine.

“I couldn’t.” Camille admitted softly as she tasted the soup.

She didn’t want to pressure Ben into anything but she couldn’t hide her concerns from him.

“Something wrong? You don’t like your room?”

“Oh no, I love it.” She replied quietly, looking into his eyes “I’m just worried...”

“About what?”

“About... what happens after you go. You know I want to wait for you, I want to be yours but... we don’t know how long you’ll be away and I don’t know if I can be strong enough to stand up to all the people that already makes comments about us.”

Understanding the underlining issue, Ben sighed and kissed her hand. In truth, he had considered proposing long ago but he wasn’t sure if that was fair to Camille. Why trap her to him if she could find someone else why he was away? Making her his wife would be perfect but what kind of a husband went off right after the ceremony? He wanted to be more respectful, more worthy.

“I see what you mean.” He said, growing thoughtful “Camille, I would love nothing more than to make you a respectable woman and my wife but... I fear that the moment isn’t right. I want to give you all you deserve, in the way that you deserve it. A proper engagement, a proper wedding and a honeymoon. I don’t want to be the husband that has to go away the following day.”

Camille frowned “And have you ever thought that maybe I don’t care about a proper engagement or a proper wedding? Or for anything proper in truth? There’s nothing proper about us from the start. We fell in love, we went against my father and I just want us to be together, united. I need... I need to be sure that you’ll return to me, in any way. I want to wait for you but I need to feel that bond somehow.”

Ben swallowed thickly “I need to think about it.”

Seeing how conflicted he looked, Camille sighed and nodded.

“I don’t mean to pressure you.”

After that, the meal became totally silent. Both Ben and Camie were lost in their thoughts and even as they sat in the living room together, by the fire, neither of them had the patient to read or talk without going back to the same subject.

“I should retire, it’s been a long day.” Ben said, standing up as he got his packet of cigarettes “Goodnight love.” He said as he went upstairs and into his bedroom.

Camille frowned as she got warm by the fire for a while longer. She hoped that she hadn’t ruined anything. Getting up, she headed to bed and hoped to find them both in better spirits the next morning.

When Camille woke up the next morning, breakfast was brought in by a servant and there was no mention of Ben. The young woman ate and bathed before she got dressed and went to find Ben.

Finding him in the library, she was relieved when he asked her to come in with his usual gentle smile.

“Please close the door love.”

Camille nodded and closed the door, following Ben’s gesture as he motioned for her to go around the desk. He kept sitting but pushed back to have enough space to let her sit on his lap.

“I hope you slept well?” He asked, brushing back a loose strand of hair that had remained out of Camille’s braid.

“I got a good rest. How did you sleep?”

“I slept wonderfully. It gives me peace knowing that you’re close.” Ben said, kissing her softly “I’ve been thinking about what you said last night at dinner.”

“Please, forget it. It was so childish of me. I shouldn’t be demanding anything from you. You got this beautiful house and you’re going to prove yourself to my father. That’s all you have to do.”

“No, it’s not. I shouldn’t value your father’s approval more than yours.”Ben said seriously “I have wanted to propose for a while but I didn’t prepare anything for now, I just thought it would be too soon but I understand what you ask and what you need.”

Camille nodded softly, not too sure of where he was going.

“However... there is something that I believe I can give you as a promise of what is to come, as soon as I get back.” He smiled softly, reaching into his waist coat’s pocket to take out his pocket watch. “I know it isn’t much but it is one of my most prices possessions. I want you to keep it until I return and then, I will propose in the most special way. This watch proves that I love you and will return to you Camie. I will make you my wife, no matter what. I hope you believe me.”

Camille smiled gently as she picked up the expensive watch, feeling the beautiful marks that were carved in the silver.

“This means the world, thank you.” She said “And yes, I do believe you.”

Ben smiled and cupped the back of her head as he leaned to kiss her deeply.

“I love you.”Camille whispered as Ben pulled back and began to kiss her neck gently. She moaned quietly, feeling her cheeks fluster. “Don’t stop.”

The man found her request to be odd.

“Darling I... I don’t want to get carried away.” He admitted as she placed the watch down.

“Please do. For once... let’s get carried away. I want to be yours, I don’t want us to be under control all the time” Camille whispered, not too sure of what was getting over her but she leaned for another kiss, making Ben moan as he gripped her hips and lifted her up.

He discreetly took her to his room and clothes were off within minutes. Being a doctor, Ben knew which cares to take to avoid a pregnancy and he made sure to please Camille first and foremost, wanting her first time to be what she had always expected.

Just before dinner, there was a knock on the door to announce the meal. Ben replied to dismiss the servant and then he sneaked under the sheets, kissing up Camille’s flat stomach.

“Sleepy?” He grinned, knowing that they had been in bed for quite a few hours now but she seemed to be enjoying herself and that’s what mattered to him.

“Mhm... hungry mostly.” She laughed, humming as he kissed along her breast, being so gentle yet seductive.

“Should we go and have dinner then?” Ben asked with a low tone, teasingly suckling on one of Camille’s nipples to make her squirm.

“Ugh... yes... but it can wait. This feels so good.” She hummed, making Ben grin as he leaned up for a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
Thank you so much for being patient. As you can guess, things are getting hectic and writing has been very difficult. I hope you're all well! <3