Status: Active

Somewhere Only We Know

Secret Trip

“Camie...”

“Ben, Henry told me about the Military, I’m so sorry to hear.”

Ben furrowed his brow, his hands still cupping her face as her hands settled on his wrists, soothing him. He was about to burst and tell her about her father but then the news of Henry came back at him. He couldn’t believe it.

“I... Your father told me. Henry hadn’t yet.”

Camille sighed “My father interferes too much in other people’s business. I’m sorry love. Perhaps you should go and speak with Henry yourself?”

Ben nodded slowly “I’ll meet you afterwards.” He said, looking deeply into her eyes.

Camille nodded “Of course darling. I’ll be around.” She said softly as Ben pulled away and went. He had to ask Henry if this was all true and he still had to tell Camille about what he had done.

Camille watched Ben go with a sigh. She returned inside the tent to join her mother on the table. In the meantime, Ben caught Henry just as he was finishing dancing with one of Charles’s sisters.

“Your turn to dance with me brother?” Henry asked, wiggling his eyebrows playfully at his older brother.

“Henry, we need to talk.” Ben said seriously.

Henry straightened up a bit and nodded, excusing himself as he and Ben made their way out of the tent.

“When were you planning to tell me about you going to war?”

Henry sighed, looking away from Ben.

“Later, I suppose. I just wanted to have fun tonight, Benedict. I think you can’t blame me for that.”

“I can blame you for not sharing this with me sooner, Henry. How could you make this decision on your own?”

“I didn’t. Father and I decided together. He is coming too, returning to his Major position.”

“What?” Ben asked “And neither of you thought about telling me sooner or asking for my opinion? What about mother?”

Henry sighed “Mother is a matter for father to handle. Besides we both knew that you would never approve or enlist, so why bother you?”

“We’re family Henry!” Ben nearly snapped “You do realise that this is not another 6 month stay at a camp. This is actually war, Henry. Father is not in the shape he was before and you... you both can die.”

Henry looked at his brother “I’m not a little boy any more, Ben. I’ve made my decision and I want you to respect it. If it leads to my death, I’ll die with honour for my nation.”

Ben swallowed thickly “Both you and father... you both think I’m useless don’t you?”

“What?” Henry asked “Of course not, why would you say so Ben? You’re not a man of war. You’re a man that stays and cares for those who stay. That’s you. Father and I... we’re not like that.”

Ben clenched his fists “Well, I’ll be a man like the both of you now.”

“That’s nonsense Ben.”

“I mean it. I’m going to enlist but not as a soldier. As a medic. I have enough years of experience and letters of recommendation to convince him that battle is not for me but I can be useful and tend to the wounded.”

Henry paled and grasped his brother’s arms.

“Stop talking like a mad man.” He demanded.

Ben looked at him coldly.

“It’s the only way.” He whispered. “It’s the only way for me to be seen as a true man and it’s the only way to get Aaron’s respect. If this makes me a mad man so be it but father and you are not going alone.”

Henry grasped his arms harder.

“What are you going to tell Camille?”

Ben’s eyes moved instantly to where Camille was. He saw her smiling as she spoke to his mother and hers. He felt his heart clenching.

“The truth.”

After Anne and Charles had gone upstairs for their wedding night, Camille noticed that most of the guests had started to either go to bed or go to take their transportations to their own homes. She looked for either Ben or Henry but they were nowhere to be found.

Camille said goodnight to her mother, watching as the woman went out to get back into a car with her father and the Cumberbatch couple. They were all going back to the house while Camille waited to go with Henry and Ben.

“Camie,”

She turned around suddenly and smiled.

“Goodness I was starting to worry.” She said, tiptoeing to hug Ben tightly. “Is everything okay?” She asked, spotting Henry getting into his car.

“Yes... I need to speak to you before we go back to my house though.”

Camille nodded but followed Ben while Henry drove off. Ben had brought his car so he would take himself and Camille back. As they walked hand in hand, he began to grow very nervous. She wasn’t sure of what she’d say about his decision.

“Ben... this silence is killing me. Are you sure nothing is going on?” Camille pressed as she stopped walking, forcing him to turn to her.

Ben’s eyes rested on his and he inhaled deeply.

“I know you’ll be furious to hear this but Camille... I need you to remember that I would do anything for you, for us. You do know that, right?”

“Darling, I know. I know that but please tell me what’s happening. You’re scaring me.”

Ben squeezed her hand tightly.

“I’m going to enlist.”

Camille’s eyes widened.

“Wha... What?” She murmured “But you are against this war, why are you going to enlist?” She asked, feeling her heart shrinking. Her father going already was scary enough but now Benedict too?

“I need to prove myself.” Ben began to explain “I’ll go as a medic and I’ll be able to save lives this way. I’ll be able to watch out for Henry, for my father and for yours. Please, I need you to support me, to understand me. I’m doing this for us.”

Her eyes narrowed “For us how? Is leaving me here all to myself a great favour you are doing? How can I accept this Ben? You and Henry plus our fathers can be walking straight to your deaths and I’m supposed to be okay with this!” She shouted, making him tense “This... This is all because of my father isn’t it?”

Ben pressed his lips together, a bit shocked as she grasped his arm tighter.

“This is my father’s doing, isn’t it? He challenged you? He told you to prove yourself by going to war?”
She asked, knowing her father was able to do many things but threaten Ben’s life just for his sake was too much for her to handle.

Ben nodded silently, unable to lie to her and Camille started to tear up in front of him.

“We should go.” She said quietly, releasing Ben’s hand and for a moment, he feared he had lost her.

Arriving at his house, the brunette got out of the car and without a word, began to head upstairs.

“Camie!” Ben called but she went straight to her parents’ bedroom.

Inside Carolyn was already in bed and Aaron was just undressing when their daughter came barging in.

“Camille!” Her mother called, seeing the look of bewilder in her daughter’s face.

“I know what you did.” Camille snarled at her father, the man shocked to see her so angry. “I hope you’re happy. He’s going to enlist.”

“I just spoke to him mon ange, it’s not my fault that he’s so eager to please.”

“Eager to please? He just wants you to like him father!” She said “He wants you to approve of him because of me but you know what? I don’t care for your approval anymore.”

Aaron paled “Don’t do anything stupid Camille. I am your father and you will obey me.”

“No. You may have condemned the only man I’ve ever loved to die at war because you’re too proud to accept that I love him and want to be with him. If Benedict dies father, you will never see me again and you will be dead to me.”

“Camille!”

“You better make sure he returns home safe... papa.” She added coldly before she left the room, banging the door behind her back.

With tears streaming down her face, the young woman went into her bedroom where Ben was waiting. Seeing her in tears, he wrapped his arms around her while she clung to him.

“Camie... Camie,” Ben whispered softly, attempting to tilt her face up but to no avail.

When she finally looked up, her make up was ruined but she didn’t care.

“You’re my life Benedict. I don’t care what my father says, I’m yours.”

Ben kissed her forehead softly “I know this might be the worst timing but... I was planning to invite you to spend a week with me in Spain. I bought a house there, it was a surprise.”

“I want to go.”

He was surprised by her reply but he smiled, feeling her lips peck his jaw.

“I’ll enlist only next week so we have time to be in Spain before I am called but... what about your parents? They might say no.”

“They won’t dare.” Camille nodded. “If you really are sure you want to enlist... I’ll support you and wait for you. I’ll wait as long as it take for you return to me.”

“I will. I’ll return safe.” Ben whispered, kissing her deeply as they held each other tighter.

The next morning, Camille and Ben didn’t have a problem holding hands in front of everyone while they had breakfast. After finding out just how petty her father could be, Camille didn’t want to hide anymore and she hardly even spoke to him.

She packed as her mother had asked and thanked both Ben’s parents for being so welcoming as always. She hugged Henry as well, having a small moment with him.

“Be safe, okay?” She whispered.

Henry nodded “I will. I’ll come back to meet my pretty nieces and nephews.” He grinned, making her smile “You’re the best thing that ever happened to my brother Camille so I’ll make sure he returns. I promise.”

“Promise that the both of you will come back and that will make me happy.” She said as they hugged again tightly.

Henry had become Camille’s friend so easily that the thought of him going away scared her. She just wanted him to be safe, he was a good lad. He handed her a letter for Luz and Camille promised to deliver it.

Ben was the last waiting for her and they shared a small kiss before he helped her get into their ride. They had already agreed that he’d go and pick her up at her house before they went to Spain but for now it was all a secret.

Camille sat inside the car with her parents as they headed to the train station where her father was going to catch the train. She gave their parents a bit of privacy to say goodbye and then she stepped closer, hugging her father. Despite their differences, he was still her father. Aaron was unable to say a word to his daughter as they parted and he waved at them one more time before he got into the train.

Camille and her mother got into another train and as Camille got comfortable to try and sleep, she sighed quietly as she heard her mother crying. Yet again, she was expecting to live through having her husband away and Camille was about to feel the same about the man she loved.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
Here is another chapter which I hope you all like! As always, thank you for reading and taking the time to comment.