Just a Game

Part 1

“David, don’t run away and come to me!” Mrs. Desrosiers called to a hallway where her son, David, was. “What’s up, mama? I gotta go, Alex’s waiting up outside for me.” He said out of breath and came in the kitchen where his mother was cooking dinner. “You know, sonny, I bought 2 tickets to OSM. Your dad’s gonna sing right there, um? Auntie Eveline told me she’s not in so I thought you’d be happy to go there with me.” She said happily and stroked David’s cheek with a smile. “Mum, there’s gonna be lots of grannies and I’d look like a black sheep in there.” David said bored and rolled his eyes. “David. You need some more cultural life, don’t you think? You’re still stuck in your room playing the guitar or drawing. A concert of symphony won’t kill you.” She said seriously and smiled while her son rolled his eyes once again. “Oh fine. What can be done.” He said and walked out of the kitchen to where his friend Alex was waiting for him impatiently, stepping from side to side. “It lasted so long. You’re going finally, you snail.”

“I feel like an idiot. I’m the only one here in my generation. The age here is around 50 and over.” David complained as he and Mrs. Desrosiers came in the hall. “Sit down and leave the stupid comments off, Davey.” He did full of aversion and tameness.

“I’m bored.” The boy, sitting next to a row of old grannies from one side and next to his mother from the other side, said. “You’re too cheeky, David. Don’t worry, the symphony’s gonna start in a minute.” He rolled his eyes and you might know, it’s his usual feature. It took a long time before all the orchestra came in and before David was surprised wholly. A nice, quite young and personable boy. David melted inside as he glimpsed a smile of the boy in black formal overcoat. It turned out that he is the main singer. As his voice sounded all over the hall, everybody’s heart melted a bit. I dare to say that NO ONE in there has ever heard such a great sounding and rich voice as the boy has.

This performance deserved a standing ovation, especially the main singer, now I can name him – Pierre Bouvier, deserved it. “Mum, mum. He was looking at me once in a while.” Absolutely excited David said as they both came out of the building. “Who? The greyish clarinettist with a mustache?” “Mum, are you going crazy?” David went frightened as she finished her asking. “Of course not. I mean the singer. Pierrie.” Now it was a time for his mother to roll her eyes. “Oh my god. He was good-looking, yes.” “No, he’s not just good looking. He’s totally beautiful. I fell in love at first sight. And his smile absolutely bewildered me. Not mention his voice, mama. It was so nice for my ears. I have never heard such an amazing voice as Pierre has-“ “Aw, thank you. It means a lot to me.” Pierre appeared from behind a shadow. It made David confused a little. “Oh. It’s you!” He said abashed and tried to smile. Pierre just giggled and looked into his eyes. David was lost in that moment, lost in Pierre’s beautiful eyes. “Oh, I’m sure am not the only one who said you something like that. Your voice is amazing. You hear it from all the sides, don’t you?” David tried to throw the shame and nerves away. “No, it’s not tru-…” He was desperately out of place ‘cause David was totally right. He hears ‘your voice is amazing’ from all the sides possible. David started giggling ‘cause he understood. “Hah. Everybody’s crazy about the amazing sound of your voice.” David blushed a little and looked down. It made Pierre smile heartily. “Thank you once again. I appreciate it. Anyways, merry Christmas.” “Merry Christmas to you, too.” David replied.

*****

“I’m totally out of place, Alex. He absolutely bewildered me.” Excited David snapped as his friend, Alex, came in his room. “Stop it, you Mr. in love, okay? I don’t even know who we’re talking about.” Alexander sat on the edge of David’s bed before collapsing. “Well, am talking about Pierre. The main singer of the symphony I met yesterday.” “You were in symphony? You lowered really down, buddy. Oh shit.” David’s friend was taunting. “You idiot, it was mum’s idea to go there but I don’t regret what I did. I met the sweetest boy in the world. You couldn’t find a better one.” He answered with confidence and lay next to Alex on the bed. “If he had a mustache, long hair, a wart or decayed teeth so I do not approve your choice, David.” He said seriously with a little smile on his face. “What do ya think about me, Ande? He’s the total opposite. I just… my heart stopped beating when he smiled.” David was melting as the thought of him came into his mind. Alex rolled his eyes in that instant. “You know, maybe it was the first and the last time you saw him-“ “NO! Don’t talk about it, Alick. I fell in love at the first sight I glimpsed his smile… I hope I’ll see him one day again.” David said a bit disappointed and casted his eyes down. “You know, dude, you should keep your eyes open. Didn’t you notice Vicky’s trying to make you love her? If I was in your shoes, I’d take her with no hesitation.” He raised an eyebrow as he finished his speech. “Dear Alexander. Vicky is a GIRL and that’s the reason I can’t just be with her, do you get it, Dr. Love?” “Yop but…I wish she wanted me to be her boyfriend.” “She’s all yours, buddy.”