White Roses Fade to Black

It's Okay to Cry

(9)
David opened the front door; he’d finally made it. Stupid bus having way too many stops.

“Les? Cal?” David asked.

He couldn’t be bothered to shout. His throat was swollen and he felt incredibly ill; all he wanted was to be back in Lucie’s arms. But first things first, he had to check on his brother and his nervous wreck of a friend.

There was crying coming from the dining room, so David decided to check it out. The sooner he was outta there, the sooner he could go see Lucie. He opened the door and cringed at the sight he saw.

“Who’s there?” a scared, high voice asked.

David clicked the light on and Lesley groaned. She’d been sat in the dark for days now. The only light she’d been exposed to was the sunlight in the bathroom, whenever she used the toilet or showered.

“It’s me, Les,” David whispered, bending down to hug her.

She shivered as he did, and buried her face deep into his chest. She continued to shiver, so David held her tighter. She started sobbing, so David stroked her hair and told her everything would be okay.

“No! It won’t be okay!” Lesley yelled with all her voice.

Her fists pounded into his chest, and she used all of her energy. David just took it all. He understood that she was hurting, and he didn’t care how many bruises he got off her, so long as she was okay.

“I know it seems hard now, but it will get better,” David whispered.

“Promise?” Lesley asked, her eyes tightly shut.

David couldn’t answer… he couldn’t promise that; not even to Lucie. He just stroked Lesley’s hair again.

“David?” Lesley asked, looking up at him.

He just looked down at her, still not speaking. Lesley just sighed and put her back on his chest. She knew he couldn’t promise. Coz no-one could.

*
“Where are those lyrics?” Lucie mumbled to herself.

She’d scanned all the lyrics websites she knew, but couldn’t find the real lyrics to My Immortal. She found the official site and read them through.

“I’ve been singing it all wrong,” she mumbled, looking at the floor.

She unplugged the headphones and turned it up to full. The music, though soft, came blaring out through the house.

I’m so tired of being here
Suppressed by all my childish fears
And if you have to leave
I wish that you would just leave
Coz your presence still lingers here
And it won’t leave me alone

These wounds won’t seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There’s just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I’d wipe away all of your tears
You’d scream, I’d fight away all of your fears
I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

You used to captivate me
By your resonating light
Now I’m bound by the life you left behind
Your face it haunts
My once pleasant dreams
Your voice it chased away all the sanity in me

These wounds won’t seem to heal
This pain is just too real
There’s just too much that time cannot erase

When you cried I’d wipe away all of your tears
You’d scream, I’d fight away all of your fears
I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

I tried so hard to tell myself that you’re gone
But though you’re still with me
I’ve been alone all along

When you cried I’d wipe away all of your tears
You’d scream, I’d fight away all of your fears
I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me


Lucie wiped the tears away. She hadn’t been THAT far off with the lyrics. Her phone rang suddenly, blaring Dead! out to the world and startling her.

“Hello?” she whispered, on answering it.

“Sweetie, it’s me. I’ll be there soon, I promise. I love you,” David smiled quietly.

Lucie blinked back tears. She loved David with every bone in her body, every bit of her body and her mind, but she didn’t think he understood what he was letting himself in for.

“I love you too, David… so, so much,” she whispered back.

She hung up and let the tears roll down her face. There was so much shit going on right now. she didn’t know if she could handle it all.

*
David put down his phone and put his arm back round Lesley. She was calming down slightly, letting out only the occasional sob.

“I don’t wanna cry anymore, David,” Lesley whispered, startling him.

David looked down at her. He wanted to say something like nobody does, but the words wouldn’t come out.

“It’s okay to cry. You’re always bottling your stuff up, and it’s coming out now. Let it all out, there's nothing wrong with it at all. You’re upset and that’s okay. Everyone gets upset; you just gotta let it all out. Life's a bitch but sometimes you gotta try deal with the shit it throws at you. There's always someone there to catch you when you fall. We’re all going through this, Les. There’s Lucie, Calum, Katherine… I’m always here for you to talk to. Honest,” David said.

Lesley nodded.

“Uh huh?” she asked.

It was David’s turn to nod. Everything he’d said was true; every last word was true. He was there for her; he was there for everyone.

“Always,” he smiled.

Lesley looked up at him and smiled. Calum walked in and looked at them. David just looked round.

“I, uh…” Calum started.

When the words just wouldn’t come out, he turned to leave. David slowly stood up to stop him, leaving Lesley to shiver in her corner.

“Cal, I need to go check on Lucie. I’m not feeling so good, okay? I need you to sit here and make sure Les is okay. Hug her and tell her things will get better,” David explained.

Calum nodded. Anything to hold Lesley in his arms again. She was the only reason he was still here, and not following Mike. Lesley, and the alcohol keeping him sane. That’s all he’d come in the kitchen for. Some sleeping draught.

“Okay. I might be back, might not…” David whispered.

And with that, he left. Calum took a bottle of vodka out of the cupboard and knelt next to Lesley, pulling her into his arms. With his free hand, he swigged on the vodka. Lesley just shivered and sobbed against him.