Sequel: Over Again

More Than This

28

I woke up the next morning to a loud pounding on the door. Harry groaned from beside me and I laughed, kissing his hair and detangling our limbs. I could tell by the volume of the incessant knocking that Louis was at the door. Sure enough, I opened the door to reveal my best friend grinning at me.

“Morning, love.” He greeted, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

“You’re way too energetic for this early.” I muttered in response, wiping some sleep from my eyes. He rolled his eyes.

“You two sleep like the dead. Listen, we’re all going out to breakfast before we split up to do our own things for the day.” He said. “So you two need to get up and meet us, in, like, now, because everyone else is already at the café.”

I groaned. Breakfast in a public place with all of One Direction was always an adventure. He read my mind.

“There’s, like, nobody else there, Bails. Hurry up.” He kissed my cheek and ran down the hall, leaving me to wake Harry. I mentally flipped him off and looked at the curly haired singer. He looked too cute asleep, I almost wanted to leave him there, but I knew Lou would kill me. I went over and started to gently rub his back.

“Harry, baby, you’ve got to get up.” I said quietly.

“No.” His voice was stern. I sighed. I was so over this.

“Harry, I’m leaving you for a hotter man.” I stated, trying to use a serious voice. At that, Harry sat up straight, making a noise in the back of his throat. I doubled over in laughter.

“Well, now I know how to get you up.” I muttered, patting his thigh and starting to get dressed.

“Not fair.” He pouted. “You can’t say things like that.”

I chuckled, kissing his pouting lips.

“Babe, there’s nobody hotter than you, now get dressed, we’re late.”

When we got to the café, all of our friends were sitting at a table in the back, talking pretty loudly amongst each other. I laughed as Harry and I slid into the open chairs left for us.

“Jesus, took you long enough.” Niall stated.

I flipped him off and looked at Alanna sitting next to him, smiling. I grinned. Him wanting her around this morning too was a good sign.

I looked around the café as my hand found Harry’s thigh under the table, absentmindedly running circles over it with my thumb. I felt him relax under my touch and smiled.

As I looked around, I noticed a girl sitting in a booth, drinking a coffee, occasionally looking at our table, but then looking down again, self consciously biting her nail. I don’t know what came over me, but I stood up, everyone’s eyes suddenly on me.

“I’ll be right back.” I told my friends, walking over to the girl’s booth. She looked up at me, startled.

“Hi.” I said, extending my hand. “I’m Bailey.”

She took my hand and hesitantly shook it.

“I’m Katie.” She replied, her cheeks blushing a dark pink.

“Hi, Katie.” I replied, sliding across from her in the booth. “I’m going to take a guess and assume you like One Direction.”

“Is it that obvious?” She asked shyly. I smiled.

“A little bit.” I replied. She hesitantly went into her bag and pulled out an envelope.

“I was just wondering if you could give this to them. I really don’t want to interrupt your meal, but I wanted them to have this letter. I was going to see if they would come out of the hotel, but…” She trailed off. “But they didn’t, and I just wanted to tell them that… That they saved my life.”

Tears filled her eyes, and it was then that I noticed her free hand scratching her arm. I sighed and got up from my side of the booth, going to sit next to her and pull her into a hug.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” She asked, shakily. I sighed.

“How old are you?” I asked in reply.

“17.” She replied. I ran a hand through my hair, trying to keep the tears at bay. She was still so young.

“I just want you to know that you have so much to live for, okay?” I said to her. “Promise me you won’t give up. Here, you can call me, and talk any time.”

I wrote my number down for Katie, and she took.

“You never answered my question.” She stated as I got up. “Why are you being so nice to me?”

I bit my lip as a tear fell from my eye.

“Because, I know what it’s like to have those 5 boys save your life.” I stated, smiling at her as I turned and walked back to my friends. As soon as I approached, Harry stood up, noticing the tears in my eyes.

“What happened?” He asked immediately.

“We need to talk.” I replied, softly guiding him out of the café where we could talk.