Status: Active

Kiss From a Rose

Chapter 16

Matt stood nearby watching as the doctors ran the scanner and the gel over Ember's belly. He looked at the screen hearing a faint small heartbeat.

"Everything sounds good and normal." The nurse said.

"The baby is okay?" Matt asked.

"Yes thankfully since it's still in the early days of forming there's not a fetus there yet." The doctor said. "But you can hear it's heartbeat and it sounds faint but strong."

Matt sighed in relief. "Thanks doctor." He said as they cleaned Ember's belly of the gel.

"You're welcome." He said checking her pulse. "It's normal has she shown anymore signs of waking up?"

"Other than squeezing my hand last night no." Matt said.

"The fact she even did that shows that she's slowly but surely waking up." He said. "We'll just have to be patient she wakes when she wants too."

Matt nodded as the doctor and nurse left. Just as he sat down his cell rang. Looking at the ID he saw it was Brian calling him.

"Hello." Matt said on the other side of the room away from Ember.

"Matt the news last night." Brian said. "That woman is she who I think she is?"

"Yes the woman in the crash last night is Ember I'm at the hospital with her right now." Matt said. "How'd you know it was her?"

"Just had a feeling." Brian said. "How is she?"

"She's bruised all over, her arm is in a sling, and her leg is in a cast other than that she's stabilized but hasn't woken up yet." Matt said.

"Fuck." Brian said. "I also heard that the other driver left the scene afterwards." "Do the police have any leads?"

"No other than the suspect is most likely a woman." He said. "Who she is remains a mystery."

"How are they so sure it's a woman?" He asked.

"Cause the person who crashed into Ember also tried to choke her." Matt said. "Their grip was so tight they left their handprints around her neck and the prints are small like a woman's hands."

"Jesus." Brian said. "Matt just asking have you been thinking bout all that shit she told you?"

"Yeah but I don't care I'm gonna be here for her and protect her and our baby." Matt said.

"Your baby?" Brian asked in shock. "She's pregnant?"

"Yeah found out just this morning and it's okay." Matt said. "Has a strong heartbeat."

"Whoa man." He said. "How you feeling bout being a father?"

Ember heard a familiar voice from the far corner of the room. Her eyes moved under her lids and she slowly opened them squinting at the blinding light.

She groaned softly as she moved stopping when she felt the heavy weight of her leg and her left arm feeling restrained. Glancing down she looked over her body wincing at what she saw.

The voice talked again and she looked over seeing Matt talking on his phone. "Yeah I'm scared but I'm excited at the same time." Matt said. "I'm gonna be a father and have a beautiful boy or girl with a beautiful woman."

Ember gasped softly and looked down at her stomach. She placed her right hand on it.

"Am I really pregnant with a child that I made with Matt?" She thought.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw a bouquet of white roses. "He bought these for me?" She thought reaching to touch one but hissed softly as her arm throbbed.

"Hold on Bri." Matt said glancing at Ember who closed her eyes pretending to still be out. "I thought I heard her make a noise I'll talk to you later."

Matt walked over taking his place back at Ember's side and took her hand. "I thought I heard you make a sound but obviously I was wrong." "I want you to walk up so badly I'm hearing things."

"Ember I'm not sure how you feel about having a baby but I want you to know that I'll be there for you and it." Matt said. "I'm gonna take care of it and you no matter what."

He placed a hand on her stomach. "I can't wait till it's born so you can see the beautiful life we created together."

Pulling up her gown Matt kissed her belly then placed his ear on it. "It's not even born or a fetus yet but I love it so much already."

Ember kept her eyes closed as Matt pulled her gown down and came to her face.

"Ember I know you said you bring nothing but death and destruction but you us together have created a beautiful life that is slowly growing within you." Matt said. "No matter how much death there is life always outweighs it cause there's always life being made and brought into the world."

"That's so beautiful." Ember thought.

"I'm sure if you were awake you'd probably say something about the afterlife." Matt said. "You know they say our souls leave our bodies to go on to the next life and into heaven to begin a new life." "When you think of it that way we don't really die we're just beginning a new life and a new beginning for us something you said to me when we first met."

"Meeting you was the best thing to ever happy to me." She thought.

She remained still as Matt cupped her face and kissed her forehead.

"We've never talked about falling or being in love but even if you don't believe it I sure do." Matt said. "And what I believe and know for a face is that I love you Ember MCClain or whatever your real name is."

"He loves me?" She thought.

"I love everything about you." He continued. "Your looks, your beautiful imperfections, your strange unique personality and outlook on life." "Though sometimes you confuse me with your views that makes me even more crazy about you and it just adds to the excitement about you."

"I'll never get bored of you or whatever we have it us we have." He said. "I hope whenever you wake up you'll tell me what we have and what you want." "No matter your decision I'll still love you no matter what."

Ember tried not to cry by all his words. Never had a person made her feel beautiful and wanted like Matt did.

She felt his breath come closer as he gently pressed his lips against hers. It was soft, warm, and filled with love.

Just as he pulled away Ember brought her hand up pressing his lips against hers again. Matt opened his eyes in surprise but returned the kiss.

She managed to get her arm around his neck. She could tell he was going slow due to her current state but she wanted more.

Running the tip of her tongue over his lips Matt got the message opening his mouth. The tips touched as the kiss deepened Matt placed a hand on her waist.

Ember groaned softly from her arm being up. Kissing her a final time they slowly pulled away looking into the others eyes.

Matt placed her arm back at her side placing his hand which was now on his cheek over hers. Bringing his face back to her she kissed him before saying...

"I love you too Matt."

"You heard everything I said?" He asked.

"Every word." She said as tears filled her eyes.

"And I meant every single word." He said wiping her tears away. "Don't cry I'll let the doctor know you're up."

"Matt don't go yet." Ember said. "Not until I tell you."

"Tell me what?" He asked.

"Everything." She said.