Status: Completed: 22nd September 2014.

Ignite

Play it cool.

All in all, Zack thought that extra work last night went well. He got his ideas finalised ready to finish this morning, to be able to set them into motion this morning, and he got to spend time with Jack. What? Sure, one prompt for him staying late at work was because Martin had been bitching at him before he’d left for work that morning, and sure, seeing Jack blush and stammer and just be so damn adorable was a very nice alternative, but he liked spending time with the younger male. There was just something about Jack that made him smile.

Soon-to-be boyfriend be damned.

Still, Zack had to be careful. He didn’t want Jack to be overwhelmed and he sure as hell didn’t want Martin to notice him flirting with someone else. That wouldn’t end well for anyone. That, and interoffice romances were incredibly frowned upon. Zack would just have to keep his desires for Jack on the down low. That would be best.

Besides, Zack didn’t even know if Jack was actually attracted to him too. Well, obviously he’d seen Jack staring at him occasionally, and the way he blushed last night was very welcome, but Jack hadn’t flirted back. Whether that was just Jack’s nature or not, Zack didn’t know. That was something else he had to learn about the younger man.

Then again, did he really want to go through all this trouble? He already had Martin. And yeah, Martin was a pain in the ass more often than not, and they fought more than they should do, but Martin had been a part of his life for so long – was it worth throwing that all away for a chance with his tempting PA? Zack really didn’t know the answer to that question. And that worried him.

So as Zack arrived early to work the next morning, earlier than anyone in the office at all actually, he made the decision to rein it in a bit, play it cool. He didn’t want to scare Jack off even more than he didn’t want to get in trouble with the company. Zack could play it cool right?

Zack quickly snapped out of his thoughts as his office door opened.

“I heard that you and Jack stayed late last night, and that Jack cancelled a date to do so,”

That would be the first thing Rian would say to him, wouldn’t it?

“Good morning to you too,” Zack muttered, “Let me guess, Alex told you?”

Rian grinned. “Duh. Alex knows everything,”

Zack rolled his eyes. Of course Alex knew. He just hoped Alex didn’t gossip too much, Jack didn’t need that.

“I needed to get a start on the campaign and I asked Jack to help. That’s all,” Zack shrugged.

Play it cool, Zack. Just play it cool. It’s not like he actually did anything wrong.

“Sure it is,” Rian smirked.

Zack didn’t like the smug look on his best friend’s face. Not when he was actually innocent.

“Don’t you start with me, Dawson. It’s not like Alex doesn’t stay late too – and those after work meetings are the complete opposite of innocent work,” Zack said sharply.

Rian blushed. “I don’t know what you mean,”

Hah.

Zack just smirked, folding his arms over his chest.

“I needed someone to bounce ideas off that would be honest with me. So I asked Jack,” Zack said simply.

“You know full well you could’ve asked him during the day. And you know he’s seeing that guy from the bar. Why did you ask him to stay as late as he did?” Rian pushed.

“So he cancelled a date? I didn’t even know he had a date,” Zac shrugged.

It was true, he didn’t. Sure, Zack could’ve guessed Jack had one, but it wasn’t like Jack told him, was it?

“And yet you don’t sound the least bit apologetic,” Rian accused.

Damn it.

Rian narrowed his eyes, making Zack a little uncomfortable. It was scary how well Rian knew him sometimes.

“I know what your jealousy is like, Zack. I know you don’t like that guy Jack is seeing simply because he’s with Jack,”

“What are you talking about?” Zack scoffed.

Damn it.

“You want Jack for yourself but you’re just too chicken shit to admit it,”

“You’re talking out your ass. I’m with Martin,”

“You may be with Martin but you’re also in denial,” Rian shot back.

Zack just clenched his jaw, making Rian roll his eyes.

“Don’t hurt Jack – he likes that guy and you know it,”

“He cancelled their date - does he like him enough?” Zack retorted without thinking.

Rian just grinned, making Zack blush slightly. Damn it.

“I’m right, Zack. I always am. And sooner or later you’ll see it too. But don’t hurt Jack – I mean it,” Rian said seriously.

“Couldn’t hurt him if I tried,” Zack mumbled.

Was there any use in denying it now? Now that Rian had figured it out?

“Good,” Rian smiled, clapping Zack on the shoulder. “Now I’ve got a meeting with Alex to get to, I suggest you make sure Jack and his soon-to-be-boyfriend are okay,”

“Asshole,” Zack grumbled.

“Love you too, buddy. Seriously, go make amends. If you’re not going to ditch Martin for Jack, then at least make sure Jack is happy this way,” Rian said simply.

Well that sucked. But Rian was right. If he wasn't going to make a move on Jack, then he had to make sure Jack was happy. Even if it was with another man.

"Yeah, sure," Zack sighed.

Rian smiled sadly, clapping Zack on the shoulder.

"It's for the best, Zack. At least for now," Rian said softly.

Zack knew that. It didn't mean he had to like it though.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh dear.
Zack can't quite sort his head out, huh?
Just decide what you really want!!
^_^
Is Rian right? Should he back off for now?

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter and to the following who commented. I'm going on vacation until Sunday 20th now, so I won't be updating for a little while!

f0reverbr0ken
Tattoo
fiction246
Forever Young.
Bludgeoned.Brittany

xo