Freeing Penelope

The Name's Luca

“Are you sure this isn't too revealing?”

Penelope!”

“I've just never worn anything like this, Jennifer!”

The two girls stared down at one another though burst out into a fit of giggles a few seconds later. “Penny, it looks fine. It's not revealing and I think it suits you. You look very mature and not so innocent anymore.”

Jenny had insisted that the pair go shopping after school to get Penelope an outfit for the party. Once the blonde's friend had found out that she was planning on wearing what she had worn to school – a simple v-neck, skinny jeans, and converse, there was no stopping her as she pulled Penelope towards the local plaza.

Penny stared at the black, power mesh corset top that adorned her for a quick second in the vanity before turning back to her friend. “You thought I looked innocent?”

“Yeah, you're just always so clean-cut. Of course, looking innocent isn't a bad thing, it's actually part of your charm.” Jenny's phone lit up with a new text and she smiled. “My brother's here with some stuff. They're going to set it up and then we'll be good to go when people get here in the next hour. I'm going to go help him with it, just finish up with your make up, yeah?”

Penny sighed though did as she was told, sitting down before the vanity mirror and starting to apply some light eyeliner and mascara, as well as some lip gloss to top it off. When she finished, she examined herself. She looked fine, a bit different and more “mature” as Jenny had put it, but fine.

“Penny!”

Smiling, Penny answered her friend's call by walking out of her room and down to the first floor of her home, her jaw slightly dropping as she found Jenny's brother, Joey, wheeling in kegs of beer. “Joey!” She exasperated.

Hearing his name be called, Joey looked up and shook his shaggy brown bangs out of his eyes. He smiled when he noticed it was Penny. “So little Penny's finally growing up and is throwing her first house party, huh?” He teased. “How you doing?”

“Good,” she sighed, never once taking her eyes off the kegs. “What are these doing here?”

“Oh, they're nice, right? It's my treat. No need to thank me.” He chuckled jokingly.

“Dude, c'mon, we've got two more!” Joey's friend called, motioning him over.

“Gotta go, Pen. It's going to be fun tonight.”

Penelope was left dumbfounded for a second, but before she knew it, she was marching into her kitchen yelling, “Jenny!”

“What?” The brunette was already munching away on some chips that she was setting out and stared at Penelope in confusion.

“Why's Joey bringing in kegs of beer?”

“Because we need something to drink.”

“Why not punch or water or something?”

“Penny, just about everyone drinks at parties. Besides, if we had punch, they'd probably end up spiking it anyways.”

“Yeah, but what if one of my neighbors sees? They're going to tell my mom!”

“Penny, calm down. It's going to be fine. I promise.”

Penny did as she was told, breathing in deeply and exhaling slowly to try and soothe her nerves. Maybe Jenny was right. Things would be fine. She was probably just over thinking things and was getting ahead of herself. Penelope knew a lot of people who were underage drinkers, though she obviously wasn't one herself, and they had never gotten into trouble for drinking at a party so why would they get busted at hers?

Image


Mom's going to murder me and my life is officially over.

Penelope wasn't sure what was going on.

The sight of what was once her living room before her stunned her into silence. Her family's stereo-system, which was used without permission or prior warning, blasted songs throughout the den at a volume that rivaled a rock concert's. The bass that was being produced tingled her feet and made her knees buckle, the pounding seeming to rattle even her insides as she stood off to the side of the room. People grinded sensually with one another and the sight of something so physical happening in her home made her flush in embarrassment. It was like a scene out of some cliché high school movie.

Walking throughout the rest of her home was no better. People made a mess of her home without a single care in the world. Her kitchen was in shambles with potato chips strewn across the countertops and even upon the wood flooring, along with some sticky residue that she assumed – and hoped – was spilled beer or punch of some sort. The hallways were cramped and filled with teenagers who were chatting with drinks in their grasps and a few who were making out.

“Penny!”

Spinning about, the blonde noticed Jenny coming up to her, her cheeks a bit flushed with color and a drunken haze in her eyes. “This is awesome, huh?” She giggled. “The party's going great!”

“Really? I don't think so.” Penelope huffed out, the environment making her a bit agitated. “It's good that everyone's having fun, but they're not being considerate at all.”

Shrugging her shoulders, the brunette downed another few gulps of beer and smiled. “It comes with the territory of throwing a party, Pen.” For a moment, her drunken state dissipated and Jennifer was able to see the distress etched on Penny's face, clearly realizing how seriously she was taking it. “Look, why don't you go ahead and get some fresh air? It'll help cool you off and you can collect yourself. It'll do you some good.” Jenny ended up suggesting.

Being out in the open and away from the rowdy atmosphere sounded like heaven, but with the chaotic party raging on, Penelope didn't feel right about leaving the home unattended to. “But I don't want to go out for a minute and see something broken when I come back and you're too wasted already to keep an eye out for me.”

“That would be true.” Jenny nodded, her eyes scanning the area for a brief minute before her lips curved upwards in a smile. “Don't worry, I got this. Joey!”

Her brother heard his sister's call, tearing himself away from a good chat between his friends and walking over towards the two girls. “What's the matter, Jen? And why are you drinking so much?”

“Forget my drinking for a minute, Joey. Penny wants to step out for a bit, but doesn't want the house to get thrashed when she's not around and I'm too far gone already so can you keep an eye on things?”

Concern made its way upon Joey's features. “Are you not feeling well, Penny? Did you drink or something?” His hand rubbed her back soothingly as he thought she might have been ill.

“No, I'm fine, thanks. I just want to get some fresh air. Would you mind watching over the place for a few minutes? I'd appreciate it.”

Smiling, he nodded his head and patted her back. “Sure thing, Pen. Go on out and leave the rest to me.”

“Thank you, Joey.” She returned his smile and looked to Jenny. “I'll be back in a few then.”

“Take your time, Pen.” She slurred as she wandered off towards a nearby keg.

Making her way through a horde of bodies, she let out a sigh of relief when she finally made it to the front yard, breathing in the cool air that was starting to become crisp with the arrival of autumn. Suddenly, a stench interrupted her deep breathing exercise and her nose scrunched up in disgust, her eyes darting about the premises to search for whatever was polluting the air.

Her jaw dropped when she saw a small group off to the side with one person carrying a fat, rolled up joint in between his digits, watching him take what looked to be a satisfying drag and release the smoke into the world through his nostrils. Her feet carried her over towards them in a fast-paced march and she yanked it from his grasp as fast as she could. “Is this Marijuana?” She seethed out, staring at him accusingly.

Penelope knew she needed no real answer as she watched his bloodshot eyes roll into the back of his head as he let out a cackle of laughter. She stomped off towards the street with the blunt in her possession, planning to extinguish it upon the street and throw it away in the trash where it belonged.

“C'mon Jensen, that's some quality shit right there!” One member of the group called.

She paid them no mind, but she stopped in her tracks when she saw a black and white approaching, her stomach dropping to the soles of her feet as she watched a pair of officers disembark the vehicle and walk up the sidewalk towards her home. “Break it up!” They yelled. “Party's over!”

One cop noticed her and she swallowed loudly as her heart was about to beat right out of her chest.

Oh shit,

His eyes traveled down her form and locked upon something around the height of her waist. “Young lady, what do you have in your hand?” The man questioned with a booming authority that made her knees buckle.

Oh fuck,

She dropped the joint to the ground, raising her hands up slightly to signify her innocence and compliance. “It's not mine.” Her voice quivered out.

The man stared at her with an accusing glare that made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end. He then began to pursue her, walking over to her with long strides that made her feel cornered, alone, and helpless.

This was it. This was how Penelope's life as a teenager would end.

She'd lose her position as ASB President. She'd be expelled from La Costa High School. She'd have this put onto her permanent record. She'd never get into a good university. But most importantly... she was going to lose all of her mother's trust.

An engine revved.

A black shadow pulled up next to her upon the sidewalk on a bike.

A pair of cool, green eyes met her own pair of petrified blue ones.

A a deep voice graced her ears saying, “Get on.”

And there was only one thing should think of, Do it.

Penelope's body moved with haste as her leg flew over onto one side of the motorcycle with her arms securing themselves tightly around his waist while she plopped down behind him. The bike jerked forward and she let out a squeal of surprise, her arms squeezing him tighter and tighter while her nails dug into his body with a vice-like grip.

It was then that Penelope realized what she had just done and that she had no idea as to who this person was. “Um, my name's Penelope. What's yours?” She shouted over the bike's thunderous reverberations.

His head twisted slightly and she could once again see just one of the emerald eyes that sent a wave of ease and reassurance crashing over her. “The name's Luca.”
♠ ♠ ♠
CLICHÉ. CLICHÉ. CLICHÉ.
Penelope's Outfit.

I'll be adding Jenny's and Joey's characters to the characters tab so check it out if you'd like to see a pic of them!

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed. Please comment, recommend, and subscribe!

Thanks a ton to house of cards. who commented!