Status: Get ready for one wild summer

Atonement Retreat

Adrienne Rockwood

Rian let out a long groan as Dylan hurried towards her when he found out they were picking partners for the canoes, but thankfully Stacy, the counselor in charge of the canoe trips, saved her. She bounced up to Dylan, her boobs nearly bouncing out of her scandalously low cut shirt as she did so. She giggled, grabbing his hand and leading him towards one of the other boats. “The councilors should be with the weakest swimmers, and I’m dreadful.” She cooed, running her hand up his arm.

Rian shrugged at Dylan, smirking at him. Stacy was known as the party girl of the camp, and would always try every year to get the best looking male counselor into bed. True, most all of the counselors did that, but Stacy was the queen of getting her way. Rian felt a small hand on her arm and turned to see Maria, one of the newer campers with giant green eyes that always looked scared.

“Will you be in my boat Rian?” She asked. “I can’t swim.”

“Well you’ll have a lifejacket, but yeah, I’ve got your back.” Maria smiled, leading Rian towards one of the canoes as Dylan tried to insist with Stacy that he needed to be with one of the kids. Finally he won, pulling away from her and walking over to Duncan. Rian couldn’t help but be impressed he didn’t want to sneak off with Stacy and most likely do it behind a waterfall as he got Duncan in front before pushing the canoe out into the water.

They were going to go around the lake to get everyone warmed up, then up the river that cut through the woods until they reached the waterfall, where they would stop for lunch before headed back. Rian loved the canoe trip, because if they were quiet they would always see a deer or rabbits along the riverbed, and she loved how wide eyed it would make the campers.

She pushed off before hopping in the canoe behind Maria, paddling them out as everyone got on the water. Rian smiled, loving how peaceful and quiet it was. That is, until she heard Dylan’s voice.

“RIIIIIIIIIIAN!” He hollered. She glared at him as he smiled sheepishly, waving to her. She rolled her eyes, trying to hide the small chuckle she emitted as she looked at the grass on the opposite end on the lake.

Dylan looked over at Rian, just smiling, before Duncan’s voice broke him from his thoughts.

“You like Rian, don’t you?” He asked simply. Dylan flushed and the young boy took that as his answer, shaking his head. “Gross.”

“I don’t like Rian.” Dylan insisted. A devilish smile then took up his handsome face as he looked at the young boy beside him. “We should tip them.”

“Their boat?” Duncan asked.

“Yeah, it’d be funny as Hell.” Dylan chuckled. In all honestly, he just wanted to see Rian in soaking wet clothes, the thought making him restrain a small moan. He then cleared his throat, nodding to Duncan. “Let’s do it.” The younger boy nodded slowly before turning to Dylan.

“I want six cookies, otherwise I tell before we get there.” Dylan smiled.

“Deal.” The two then turned, making their way over to Rian and the small girl she was with as they paddled. They made sure to always keep behind the girl’s backs as they silently approached before sliding up behind them, taking advantage of them both looking to the right at something on the shore. Dylan slid his hands into the water, getting a firm grasp on the bottom as Duncan copied him. Then, with one swift move they flipped the boat, sending Rian and Maria into the water.

Rian popped up immediately, the cold water chilling her to the bone as she looked up to see Dylan, smiling smugly at her. “Trouble staying in the boat?” He asked. She was ready to kill him before she heard frantic splashing, turning to see Maria’s arms flailing as she bobbed on the surface. Rian immediately swam over, Maria grabbing her desperately as soon as the older girl was in reach. Rian just stroked Maria’s wet hair, leading her back to the flipped canoe and struggling to flip it back over.

She felt a hand on hers as Dylan reached out of his canoe, and Rian couldn’t control herself. She grabbed his arm, and with one tug Dylan was in the water, flailing like an idiot as Stacy blew a little silver whistle, signaling that they had people in the water and needed help. And as a few extra counselors got in the water to help them, Dylan knew he was in for a world of hurt.

Rian had known that Nicole’s lecture would be the worst part as she and Dylan sat with blankets around them by the shed where they kept the canoes. Several other counselors had gone out with the kids, Maria surprisingly eager to get back out in the water. This left only Rian and Dylan, who were both still soaking wet since they’d been dragged into the shade so the campers wouldn’t hear.

“I can’t believe you could be so irresponsible! The children’s safety comes first, and Rian, I expected more of you.” Rian looked up, not even able to open her mouth to defend herself before Nicole continued again. “Now, Dylan doesn’t know the rules we have around here, but for you to pull an honored guest into the water, the example you set for your campers…” She looked ready to have a stroke before Dylan spoke.

“I knew I shouldn’t have tipped them, blame me.” He said quickly. “Rian made sure to grab Maria before she did anything else, she didn’t even think about anything else-”

“With all due respect, Mr. O’Brien, Rian knows that we need to set a good example for these kids, and that includes being able to control our emotions.” Dylan opened his mouth to speak again, but Rian subtly shook her head, letting him know it was a lost cause. So he simply sighed as Nicole turned back to them, running a hand through her wild hair. “Well, go back and get into some dry clothes, I’ll have to think of a punishment later.”

“What about the kids?” Rian asked.

“They’ll stay out on the water with Stacey and the others as scheduled.” Nicole said simply. “Just because you’re in trouble doesn’t mean the kids should have to suffer.” Rian sighed, nodding as she stood, not checking to see if Dylan was behind her as she began the long trek back to their cabin. She knew Dylan was behind her before he spoke.

“I’m so sorry.” He said simply. She just kept a straight face, looking ahead instead of at him. He sighed, looking over at her. “Come on Rian-”

“You call me Adrienne, we’ve discussed this.” She snapped, her voice more chilling than the lake water. He grabbed her shoulder, forcing her to turn to him as his dark eyes looked into hers.

“I gave you an apology.”

“And if there weren’t kids everywhere I’d tell you exactly where you could shove it.” She hissed. “I know this camp is nothing more than a little publicity stunt for you, but these kids mean something to me. And I am not going to lose them because of you.”

With that she pulled away, marching down the road to their cabin and making sure to stay a few steps ahead of him. They got strange looks as they walked through the camp soaking wet, but no one said anything until they ran into Izzie and her group, looking like they just came back from their hike. Izzie took one look at her friend before her eyes moved to Dylan. She then just looked over at Tyler before the two of them busted out laughing. And Rian noticed it was the first time she’d seen Dylan’s friend laugh since they’d met.

“Would you mind explaining this to me?” Izzie giggled, pointing at them. Rian smacked her hand away.

“The class clown over here thought it would be hilarious to tip my canoe.” She snarled.

“And you?” Tyler asked, nodding at Dylan.

“She pulled me in.” Tyler and Izzie busted out laughing again, causing Rian to just roll her eyes as she made the rest of the short trip to their cabin. Dylan waved goodbye to Tyler before following, knowing he had to male Rian understand he really was sorry. He jogged into the cabin, opening to door to their room without thinking, his cheeks turning bright red.

Rian’s shirt and shorts were gone as she stood in her underwear, her eyes going wide as she looked at him. But her shock quickly turned to fury as she grabbed her blanket, covering her skin from him before storming over and slapping him across the face.

“You don’t even have the decency to just try and peep through the keyhole?!” She demanded, shoving him back.

“I didn’t think you’d be changing!” He swore. Her eyes narrowed into slits before she pushed him back out, slamming the door in his face. He sighed, running a hand through his now damp hair before walking back outside and plopping down on the front step.

“What happened to your cheek?” He looked over to see Tyler, who quickly plopped down beside him.

“I opened the door, she was changing, and I got slapped.” He said simply, chuckling.

“I like her already.” Tyler teased. Dylan simply rolled his eyes.

“So how’s blondie?” Tyler’s smile fell as he groaned, falling back against the front door of the cabin.

“She’s a fucking psycho.” He muttered. “She won’t leave me alone about every little thing I do. It’s a pain in the ass.”

“Well, you want to trade?” Dylan joked.

“Please.” Tyler said quickly. “I can take slapping as long as I don’t have to hear another God damn camp song.” Dylan felt his jaw clench the slightest bit as he looked over at his handsome friend. “Besides, I bet blondie won’t slap you around, you could probably get to at least third base, if not home.”

“I think I’ll stick with Rian.” Dylan said quickly, not wanting to hear Tyler talk about taking the pretty brunette away from him. But luckily Tyler didn’t catch his friend’s obvious jealousy.

“I thought you liked blondes?” Tyler asked, looking over at him. But as he saw Dylan’s dark eyes studying his wet jeans instead of his friend, Tyler chuckled. “Oh, I see what this is.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Dylan said quickly. But Tyler was on the case now as he leaned forward, tudying Dylan’s twitching lower lip, the sign of his shitty poker face.

“You like her.”

“I want to sleep with her-”

“No shit Sherlock, but I mean you actually like her. Like you want to date her and be in a relationship and all that.” Tyler’s small smirk dropped as he leaned back again, chewing his lip. “Well don’t bother.”

“Tyler-” Dylan started, but his friend was gone, replaced by the moody version that had taken over since everything with Seana. Tyler quickly stood, muttering a quick goodbye before making his way back to his own cabin. Dylan sighed, leaning back against the door again as he wondered if his friend would ever be the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long guys!
I was out of town with zero wifi except my phone
But what do you think will happen with Rian and Dylan?
Thanks so much for reading!

oxoxoxoxox
Ashlee