All My Heart

innovation

“I’ll see you in Tactical.” Morgan glances at his watch and turns towards the doors to the larger building to our left.
“Yes, sir,” I respond, earning a laugh from Morgan. I part for the building on my right for my final physical fitness testing.
Midway through our test, Morgan and another agent walk up to our supervisor and begin speaking with him hurriedly. I continue running, but I still attempt to hear out the conversation. “She’s one of our best,” the supervisor assures.
“We’d like to take her with us.”
“Vick!” I snap my attention to the three and respond to being gestured over.
“Yes, sir?” I slow my jog down to a stop.
“This is SSA Hotchner from the BAU.” I shake his hand. “And SSA Derek Morgan.”
“We’ve met,” Morgan informs.
“They’ve requested your assistance on a case in place of your final practical.” I raise my eyebrows in interest.
“Absolutely,” I agree.

I shrug into my FBI fleece and follow Morgan into the BAU office. Inside, the bullpen is bustling with everyday traffic. Two individuals are leaning against the desk of another—a young blonde and middle aged brunette. The young man sitting at the desk has his arms crossed over his chest, a bandage wrapped around his left shoulder and arm in a sling, and bags under his eyes.
I take it he was just heavily involved with the last case, and that’s why I’m here. They need a clear mind.
Morgan leads me up a flight of stairs and into an office labeled Aaron Hotchner. “Hotch.” Morgan draws his attention from his computer.
“Thank you, Derek.” Morgan nods and glances behind us and down into the bullpen.
“How’s Reid?” Morgan questions.
“Handling as best he can.” Morgan nods and turns towards the door, closing it on his way out. “Agent Vick,” he greets formally.
“Agent Hotchner, is he the reason I’m here?” I inquire. “The one downstairs with the sling?”
“Please, call me Hotch.” I nod respectfully. “And, yes he’s the reason. The circumstances are quite unfortunate, but we are extremely lucky to have you here. Should this case go well, I’ve requested your preliminary time spent here under Derek’s mentorship.”
“Wow…Thank you, sir.” I pause for a moment. “Hotch,” I correct. His stoic face cracks a small smile. “If it’s alright to ask, what happened?”
His smile falls, as he well knew the question was coming. “A very unfortunate outcome of a personal case.”
I just nod. “Understood.” So, I guess I’ve made myself a goal. Figure out why that kid looked so damn sad.
Hotch leads me back to the bullpen and introduces me to the team. “This is Agent Juliet Vick. She’ll be spending this case with us and hopefully the next three years under the supervision of Derek.”
The three team members just kind of stand there for a second. “Is this because of Spencer?” the blonde chimes in defensively. “Hotch, are you serious? You’re going to do this after what just happened? I can’t—“
“JJ.” She’s cut off by the sad one. “He’s right. I’m taking a few weeks anyways. I need time.” He pushes himself to his feet and approaches me. His eyes are sad and bloodshot. The bags under his eyes are even more pronounced in close proximity. He sticks his hand out. “Dr. Spencer Reid. I’m sure you’ll be a great fit in my absence and only strengthen this team come my return.”
I shake his hand. “Thank you.” He tries a smile, but it doesn’t quite form. So, he picks up his brown leather bag and leaves.
“Poor kid,” Morgan mutters.
The middle-aged woman approaches. “Alex Blake. It’s a pleasure to have you. I’ve only heard great things from Morgan.”
The rest of the team turns to JJ. She takes a moment to study me. “Jennifer Jareau, media relations liaison. I’ll be in my office if anyone needs me.”
“Wheels up in thirty,” Hotch calls after her. The small group of us remains quiet until her office door shuts. “Thirty,” Hotch reminds everyone. We all nod.
“Don’t mind her,” Alex tells me, nodding towards JJ’s office. “She kinds of sees Reid like her son, and she’s just really protective over him right now. Especially with anyone who would remind him of her.”
“Blake,” Morgan cuts her off.
“Oh, come on. She’s going to find out sometime. I’d rather her know in advance for when it all comes out.”
“Well, I’m not going to be a part of this.” Morgan walks away, and Alex takes a seat in what I presume is her desk chair. She pulls up another chair and pats it for me to sit down.
“Reid had a girlfriend, and they’d never met. It was a really cute, cliché story, but she had a stalker, which is why they couldn’t meet. They arranged to meet, and her stalker was there. So, Reid sent her home before he even saw her.” My heart begins to hurt for him, and I can’t even imagine where this is going. “Her stalker kidnapped her, and the only time Spencer saw her face was right before the stalker killed herself and his girlfriend.”
“Oh my god.”
“Of course, that’s the nutshell version. He really cared for this girl. Hell, I’d venture to say he was in love with her.”
“Is there any coming back from that?”
Alex shrugs. “From what I’ve heard, he’s a strong kid, but we’ve all got a breaking point.”
I nod in agreement. “Thank you for telling me.”

Apparently the case runs smoothly because we return, and there’s a cake waiting on my new desk with some balloons. “I took the liberty of celebrating your graduation and joining our team,” Garcia, the woman I’ve learned is the technical analyst, greets. “Even though I just met you now. You’re part of our family, and I’ve looked up everything about you.”
I can’t help but laugh. Despite the somber mood the team carried, she brings about a new excitement and happiness that the team quickly latches onto and that I quickly adapt to. This team needs happiness and hope after the tragedy. I’m about to bring that.
♠ ♠ ♠
alright, i'm continuing/restarting this story from my old account. feedback is always appreciated and welcomed!