Status: Discontinued

There's No Such Thing as Too Young

New Faces

Third Person POV
“Ok class; please line up so we can go to the pre-k classroom.’ Ms. Wilson said to her first grade class. The first graders of Sartre Elementary School were beginning to read to the pre-k children. “Do you all have your books?” the class replied ‘yes’ in unison. “Good, now let’s get going.” They walked down the colorfully decorated hallways quietly, first graders listen easier though. Once they finally reached room 21, Ms. Wilson knocked. A muffled ‘please take your seats and settle down’ was heard before the door was opened, revealing a young teacher. He had brown hair that reached his shoulders, very defined facial features, he was also tall and lanky but his British accent was to kill for.

“Please come in.” he gestured towards the elderly woman. “Class, this is Ms. Wilson and her first grade class. Please say hello.” The young 3 and 4 year-olds said hi as they looked at the terrifying ‘big kids’. “We already chose your reading buddy so I’ll call your name and Ms. Wilson will call the names of her students. Understand?” the little heads nodded in agreement, not paying attention. “Alan.” The teacher called. A little ginger stood up and walked his way towards his teacher and Ms. Wilson.

“Yes Mr. Oli?” he asked nervously.

“Your reading buddy is Austin. Austin, can you please come here?” Ms. Wilson asked. A tall kid walked his way over and stood next to them. “Can you please say hi to Alan?”

“Hi, I’m Austin.” The boy said. Alan waved shyly at him as a small blush covered his cheeks. Mr. Oli sent them to sit on the floor next to each other.

As Mr. Oli and Ms. Wilson called the names of some other students, there were two who caught the others attention. A seven year-old boy with brown hair, that curled down to his shoulders, stared at a little 4 year-old who had dirty blonde hair, that reached the middle of his neck. The four year-olds blue-green eyes held the gaze of the seven year-olds chocolate colored eyes. The eldest took note that the other boy had pale skin and had little chubby cheeks, which were pinchable, while the younger boy noticed how the older one had tan skin and a small smile playing on his lips.

“Kellin?” Mr. Oli called. The blonde haired boy tore his gaze from the other and looked at his teacher. “Come here please.” The seven-year-old could not help but notice how Mr. Oli spoke differently, almost softly, towards him.

“Victor, please come here.” Ms. Wilson called. He made his way towards them and she said. “Victor, this is Kellin. Can you say hi?”

“Hi. My name is Victor but I prefer Vic.” He said with a grin. Kellin waved shyly and he looked down at his small converse covered feet.

“Vic, Kellin doesn’t like talking a lot so if you need anything ask me ok?” Mr. Oli told him, Vic nodded in return. “Good. Now please take a seat on the floor next to each other.” As they waited for the rest of the kids to be paired up, Vic kept staring at Kellin.

“I like your hair.” Vic said randomly. Kellin looked up at him a bit wide eyed and looked back down blushing. “And your eyes.” Kellin couldn’t help but smile a little bit remembering when his parents once told him that his eyes looked like the water when they went to the Caribbean the summer before he went to pre-k.

“Ok class, now that everyone has a buddy, you can now spread out and get to know each other or read.” Mr. Oli said.

“Where do ya wanna go Kellin?” Vic asked as he stood up. Kellin looked around and saw his favorite corner right under the window. Mr. Oli told him that that could be his special place. He led Vic towards the corner and got comfortable on the big beanbag chair. Kellin patted the spot next to him and Vic sat, getting comfortable as well. “Want me to read to you?” Vic asked kindly. Kellin nodded and curled up in fetal position with his left thumb in his mouth while his right hand twirled a piece of his hair. “Once upon a time …”

“Ok first graders,” Ms. Wilson called. “Time to go back class.” Vic looked down and saw that Kellin had fell asleep so he raised his hand. “Yes Vic, what wrong?” his teacher asked as she walked up to them and got on her fragile knees to be eye level.

“Umm … Ms. Wilson, Kellin fell asleep.” He said looking down at his reading buddy.

“So he did.” she said with a smile. “I’ll go ask Mr. Oli what to do. In the meantime, do you think you can stay here and watch him?” While his teacher went to see what Mr. Oli wanted to do, Vic laid down next to Kellin and looked at him while his fingers ran through his hair. He saw a smile tug at the corner of his small mouth and a content sigh came seconds later. He soon felt a small body pushed up against his; when he looked down, he saw that Kellin had a tight grip on his shirt and his face was hidden in his chest. “Well what do we have here?” when Vic looked up, he saw Mr. Oli and Ms. Wilson standing above them with a smile.

“Kellin’s mother said that he has always loved to hug something while he sleeps and that it’s hard for her to loosen his grip on whatever he has in his arms.” Said Mr. Oli. “Ms. Wilson, right now we’re going to have nap time. What will your class be doing?”

“We were going to have free time, why?”

“Do you think you can let Vic stay until nap time is over? It’s only 45 minutes.”

“I don’t see why not. Vic, do you want to stay here?” Vic thought about it for a bit. He could either play with his friends or stay here with the boy who doesn’t like talking and sleep with him.

“Can I stay here?” he asked quietly so Kellin wouldn’t wake up. Both teachers agreed and he watched his class line up and leave. When he looked around, he noticed that all the little kids had already laid down and that lights were off with the curtains closed. Vic looked back at Kellin and continued to run his hands through his hair. “I like you Kellin. I think we’re gonna be best friends.” Vic said as he closed his eyes and let sleep consume him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm also writing Days Like These ... comments, rates and subscriptions ?