Status: I'm back and re editing and adding and changing things 6/02/2022

Love Is Deaf, Not Blind

Chapter Fourteen

Image

I pull out of the driveway and drive towards the bowling alley when I and see out to the corner of my eye Caleb talking. I pull over and turn towards him.

“I…can…not…talk…and…drive.”

“I forgot again sorry.”

“It…okay…we…could…listen…to…music?” I suggest.

He raises his eyebrows in question, “Listen to music?”

“You…listen…I…feel.” I smile at him. He turns on the radio and it’s nothing like the music I normally listen to but I continue to drive to the bowling alley.

I park the car carefully under a street light, and grab my bag.

I sign and say out loud “Thank you.”

“My pleasure. You can drive really well for a-“He stops himself before he can insult me.

“I…deaf...why…should…that…stop…me…driving…I…have…less…distractions…than…hearing…people.”

“I guess that makes sense.”

I stroke the steering wheel one more time before I leave the beautiful car. We into the building and I spot the game corner. I grab Caleb’s hand and drag him over there.

“Bikes,” I say pointing to the motorbike racing game. “You…ready…to…be…beat…by…a…girl”

Caleb laughs, “You’d have to beat me first.”

I stick my tongue out at him as I take my seat on the bike. I put some coins into both the bikes and fix my purse so that is tight against my back.

“Scared.” I turn towards Caleb who is still standing where I left him watching me. I try to read his facial expression but the closest I can think of is awe. He smiles and takes his seat on the other bike.

“Expert,” I ask selecting the course. He nods.

The course has sharp corner after corner and I laugh as Caleb crashes. It doesn’t take him long to catch up to me. We’re head to head the last lap, I consider knocking his bike like I’d do to Jace but I don’t.

I still manage to win…but only put 1.6 seconds. He’s laughing as he get off the bike. “Nice work.”

’Thank you.’ I sign before I relies that I have. “Thank…You.”

“So this is thank you?” He does the sign.

“Yes.”

“Cool.”

“You…any…good…at…Air…Hockey?” I ask as I watch the table become free.

We play the arcade games for a good hour always competing to win, I won the most.

“How did you get so good?”

“I…have…less…distractions…than…you.”

“Well let’s see if you’re as good at bowling.”

It turned out I wasn’t. Caleb showed me how to hold the ball and how to hold my hips as I released. He made me laugh at face he pulls while he bowled. He started to bowl badly towards the end, throwing the game, I let him. It was nice to have someone who cared enough to throw a game for me.

When we get back into his car he drives us to a part of town I hadn’t been too. The house grow older and smaller as we continued driving. He pulls over in front of a café style dinner, “You get out here, I’m just going to park the car.” I note that the dinner has no parking and the streets either side are full. I hop out and stand under the street light out front the dinner.

After around 5 minutes pass I reach into my pocket for my phone to realise that I left it in my purse, which I’d left in Caleb’s car. I stand there wanting wondering why it was taking Caleb so long. I didn’t like the look of the neighbourhood.

After another 5 to 10 minutes I decide to wait inside, I reach for the handle and tug but it doesn’t more. I look into the window, only the dining room lights are let the ones in the kitchen are off. It’s closed?

A car slows down in front of me and rolls down the window. It’s dark and I can’t make out his exact words, but I make out.

“Baby….Good time.” Enough to wish I wasn’t standing her alone in just my frilly camisole and tight fitted jeans.

I breathe a sigh of relief when the dark coloured car speeds off. I move away from the light and sit down next to a bush out front.

What’s taking Caleb so long?

I sat there for a long time, my butt grow numb from the uneven hard asphalt. I gave up on Caleb coming back, but I wasn’t sure where I was and I didn’t have my phone to message anyone. I feel the tears coming and I swallow them back.

I walk down the footpath back the way I’d come in the car, I just wanted to go home. I'm shoved to the ground from behind I hold out my hands to catch myself inexpertly.

Pain shots through my hands, I’m knocked my reset pinkie slightly and cut up the palms on the mix of small rocks and glass shards.

The person who knocked me over turn back and gave me the finger, “I told you to get out of my way.”

I can’t help crying now, I couldn’t help hating Caleb for leaving me on the side of the street, or myself for forgetting to grab my purse.

I’m still on the ground crying when a shadow falls across the light from the street light. I recognise a kid from my english, Jay…I couldn’t remember is last name. He has very tan skin, brown hair and eyes and tattoos on his forearms.

“You’re that deaf kid from school right?” He offers a hand and I take it and nod. “What are you doing this side of town? It’s not a nice place to be this time of night on a Friday.”

I shrug, and try to take my hand out of his but he doesn’t let it go. Instead he pulls me closer, I can smell the cheap beer the laces his breath. “Especially someone as beautiful as you.” I don’t like the look in his eyes and I pull and shove trying to get out of his grip.

He grabs my arm high and leans in closer. I feel his breath on my neck and I throw my 115 pound of body into him and manage to throw him off his feet slightly, he release my arm at the unexpected force.

I spirit passed him, he makes a grab at me but only manages to snap the flimsy strap of my camisole. I don’t stop running, even when my lungs burn for oxygen, I push on another block and another. I don’t know if he’s following and I don’t turn to find out.

I finally can’t go on and I sink to the ground struggling to regain my breath. I flinch as a shadow stop in the light again, I look up expecting to see Jay but I’m looking into the lush woodland colored eyes of Jordan.

I fling myself against him, wrapping my bloody hand around his thin waist. I feel him stiffen before he relaxes he rubs my back softly and I can feel him talking.

He pulls away and lifts my head up by the chin. “You’re safe. I’ve got you.” He wipes the tears from my face and looks down at my ripped shirt. “What happened?” I shake my head unable to find my voice.

“Did someone hurt you?” He runs his finger over my wrist and up my arm. I notice the red fresh bruising marks the cover it, I just stare at them realizing what could have happened tonight.

I wrap my arms back around hero’s waist.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading.

Comment please?