Status: coming soon

Into the Woods

Red

“I know I speak for Red and I both when I say how grateful we are for this Tyler.” Louise Redding gushed, practically fawning over the tall, dark, and handsome young man as he explained the deer was a gift. Eleanor just rolled her eyes, leaning against the wall as the small, delicate woman guided Tyler and his catch towards the kitchen of the small cottage. “Red’s been having more and more difficulty finding food recently, and I know she worries about me.”

“It’s really no problem, Mrs. Redding.” Tyler insisted, flashing her a charming smile that made the older woman blush. “Eleanor is a magnificent hunter, I just beat her to this.” He looked back, winking at the younger Redding woman. Eleanor just flushed, looking down so her long hair hid her face. Louise, of course, didn’t miss this and beamed.

“Tyler, why don’t you and Eleanor go talk a nice walk? Dinner won’t be ready for a while. You are staying, aren’t you Tyler?”

“If you don’t mind.” He chuckled. His eyes then turned back to Eleanor, the amber looking gold in the light of the small hearth. “Shall we Eleanor?” He cooed. She pressed her lips into a thin line, letting out a short huff. Something about Tyler always just seemed… off and it made her nervous.

“Yeah.” She said bluntly, opening the door and walking out before she could see the disappointed look she knew would be on her grandmother’s aged face. Tyler quickly jogged to catch up with her, his long legs matching her pace with ease. Once they were far enough from her grandmother’s cottage he grabbed her arm, pulling her back into him.

“Why do you hate me?” He asked simply.

“Well that was direct.” She answered. He simply shrugged.

“I don’t believe in beating around the bush.” She sighed, looking up at him with her eyes narrowed.

“I can’t get over the feeling that I’ll come back from hunting and you’ll be in my house, my grandmother bleeding out on the floor.” His eyes went wide as she pulled away, never taking her dark eyes off his. “There are too many unexplained little things about you.”

“I can explain if you want.” He offered. “I mean, let’s look at the facts here. I’m a young man, you’re a young woman. Eventually we’re going to do what’s meant for us and get married and fill that cottage with little kids.” Her cheeks turned scarlet as he shrugged. “There are no other men your age around here, so like it or not, I’m basically your only option.”

“Give me one reason why I would be with you.” She pressed.

“I can give you several.” He promised. “I’m a great hunter and can keep your family fed, I can provide protection from the woods, and your grandmother seems to like me-”

“Of course she does, she wants great grandchildren before she passes on.” She said, folding her arms over her chest. He chuckled, reaching out and running the back of his hand down her cheek.

“And are you going to deny an old woman her wish?” He purred, smirking wickedly at her. She couldn’t hide the blush on her cheeks that time and stepped away from his touch. When he saw her reaction he sighed, leaning back on his heels. “I don’t want to make you uncomfortable Eleanor-”

“God don’t call me that.” She muttered. “Call me Red, like everyone else.” He let his head fall to one side, looking at her curiously. She fidgeted uncomfortably under his stare, chewing her lip.

“I’ve called you Eleanor before.” He said simply, watching her.

“Well, I’d prefer if you didn’t.” She snapped, her eyes flying to his. “I would also appreciate it if you would just go one way and I go the other so grandmother thinks we went for a romantic walk or whatever.”

“To be honest I don’t think she thinks we’re doing much walking, except me walking you into a tree and f-” Red threw her hands up, shaking her head violently.

“You’re done.”

“Like I said, I don’t beat around the bush. And you really should start being nicer to me, since I’m the only man you’re age, I like to think I’m rather handsome, and I think you’d appreciate some of the non-hunting things I know how to do.” She looked over at him, narrowing her eyes. He smirked, grabbing her wrist and pulling her into his chest again with a strength that didn’t look like it could come from his slender muscles. He let his other hand run through her hair, grabbing the back of her head and crashing her lips to his. Her eyes flew open before fluttering shut, unable to deny how soft his lips felt.

Just when she was entertaining the idea of him being right a loud howl broke out in the woods, causing her to pull away and grab for her bow, her heart pounding. Tyler seemed to be equally terrified as he looked into the dark forest. He then turned back to her, his eyes seeming different somehow, but she couldn’t figure out why.

“I have to go.” He breathed.

“Tyler, don’t leave me.” She whimpered.

“I’ll lead it away, it won’t get you, I promise. Now get back to your grandmothers as fast as you can.”

“Tyler, just stay.” She pleaded, starting to reach for him, but he pulled away, his eyes darting back and forth nervously. Without another word he took off into the forest, leaving Red completely alone in the fast approaching darkness. Her heart was pounding as she kept her bow drawn, shaking violently. She jumped at every single noise and whisper, knowing if a wolf emerged, she would have no chance. She remembered Tyler holding his knife to her throat, telling her she wasn’t fast enough to survive, and the doubt was suffocating.

She heard a loud snap behind her and spun around, her eyes wide. The noises became louder and more frequent, and she just prayed she would be able to see Annabeth and her grandmother again as she kept her bow drawn, her hand shaking violently.

Finally she watched as a horse with a lone rider emerged, the figure immediately putting its hands in the air. A riding cloak, much like hers but a dark emerald, his their face from her. “Calm down, I’m not going to hurt you.” She didn’t recognize the male voice, which only put her more on edge as the rider dismounted. Her heart was racing as he pulled down his hood and when she saw his features highlighted by the red lights of sunset, she blushed.

He had to be one of the most handsome men she’d ever seen, with deep brown eyes and a kind smile. She couldn’t stop looking at his plump lips as he began to speak, wondering what they’d be like to kiss. “My name is Dylan.” He offered, stepping closer with his hands still raised. “What’s yours?”

“Eleanor.” She whispered.

“Well, Eleanor, can I ask you to please lower your bow now?” She flushed, forgetting she still had it aimed square at his chest and lowered it, letting the arrow fall away from the drawstring.

“Sorry.” She murmured, blushing so brightly she wondered if her cheeks were glowing.

“It’s perfectly alright.” He insisted. “Now, I was just riding back from a clearing and seem to have lost my way. I need to get back to the main road.” She nodded, looking over Dylan and his horse and seeing no red at all.

“You’re not from around here, are you?” She asked suddenly. He chuckled.

“No, I’m not.” He admitted. “What gave me away?”

“Everyone knows to wear red in these woods. It keeps the werewolves away.” He chuckled and she felt like a stupid little girl. “Laugh if you want, but we’ve had enough people go missing, strange deaths where people are ripped apart by animals too large to be natural.”

“Well Eleanor.” He said, smirking at her. “How does red keep these beasts away?”

“Red is the color of passion, of love. They can’t stand it.” He nodded as she reached down to her hood, tearing off a strip from the bottom and walking over to Dylan. She tied a bow around the string of his riding hood, her eyes staying on her hands as opposed to his handsome face. Once she finished she stepped back, smiling. “There, that should keep you safe.”

“Thank you.” He smiled. She felt star struck as he smiled, her cheeks turning red again. “So um… how do I get to the road?”

“Oh, right.” She giggled, her face flushing again. “Just follow this deer path for about a mile, it’ll take you right to the main path.” He smiled, nodding at her.

“Thank you very much Eleanor. Are you alright to get home?” She felt her knees weaken at his concern, her eyes batting furiously as she tried to even remember where she lived.

“Yes, my grandmother’s cottage isn’t far.” She promised.

“Well, be careful alright? I wouldn’t want the werewolves to get you.” She nodded dreamily, still starry eyed as he mounted his horse. “Take care of yourself Eleanor, perhaps we’ll meet again one day.”

“I hope so.” She smiled. He chuckled before with one swift kick his horse took off, taking him towards the road, leaving Eleanor in his wake.

In the woods beside where the horseman had ridden off, hiding behind a tree just out of Eleanor’s line of vision, a pair of amber eyes sparkled in the light of the setting sun, Tyler’s handsome face twisted in rage.
♠ ♠ ♠
I. Am. So. Sorry.
I have been having internet problems and that's why this took so long.
But anywho, JEALOUS TYLER?
STAR STRUCK RED?
What do you think will happen next?
We'd love to hear your thoughts!

oxoxoxox
Ashlee