Status: Comment :)

The Pain of Remembering

Little Talks

1 week later…

John Moore POV:

“You’ll be good while Daddy’s gone for Uncle Derick, right?” I asked Alexis. She nodded and hugged my leg.

“Good luck, Daddy.” She said.

“Thank you, Princess.” I told her and bent down to kiss her cheek. “Take care of her, Brass.” Derick had been hurt during the penguins game and would be out for the week. Instead of staying with the team he was allowed to just sit back and relax in the city so he agreed to look after her so I would be able to play more.

“I will, now go or you won’t have time to visit her before you leave.” He rushed me out of the apartment and closed the door.

A quick taxi ride later I was at the hospital. This would be the last time I’d see my wife in the week. We had three away games: one in Montréal, one in Columbus, and one in Los Angeles, then I’d be home again. Brass had promised to take my daughter to see her at least three times in the week if not more.

“Hey, Al,” I greeted, walking into the silent room. The only thing you could hear was the faint beep of the heart monitor she was hooked up to and the TV that was on low. Ally was asleep in the bed like she usually was now a days. “I’m not going to be able to see you for a while,” I added, picking up her hand and stroking it with my thumb. “Three away games this week, but I’ll be back for your birthday and you can expect me right here in this seat that day.”

I sat there a bit more trying to memorize her face before I finally decided that it was time for me to leave.

“I love you.” I told her and kissed her forehead then I left for the airport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How is she?” Cally asked me as I plopped into the seat behind me with G.

“She was sleeping when I visited her. The doctors told me that she’s still got hope. She’s got another week and then some left.” I explained, looking at my feet.

“I’m sorry to hear that, Johnny.” He replied. “If you need anything just give me a call.”

“Thanks, captain.” I said as I curled up to sleep the whole way to Montréal, the seat next to me that was usually occupied by Brass empty.

Once I was in my hotel room I curled up and watched some TV, not wanting to go out with the guys and get the worried looks from all of them.

There was a knock on the door and I groaned. I thought the guys knew I didn’t want to be bothered. Slowly I got up and made my way to the door hoping that maybe they’d think I was gone.

“Hey, Johnny.” Dominic said as I opened the door.

“What’s up, Dom?” I asked him, leaning in the doorway.

“I just want you to know that I get what you’re going through.” He stated, looking at me.

“Come in,” I sighed and moved from the doorway. He pulled up a chair and I sat on the edge of my bed. “I know Katie died of cancer.”

“Yeah but did you know it was a rare liver cancer she died of. She had to go through so much and she still lost the battle to cancer.” He told me. “I was with her when she died. She died with her eyes open because she was afraid that if she didn’t keep them open she’d die,” A tear rolled down his cheek that he brushed away quickly. “The point is that if you need anyone to talk to I’m here and I get what you’re going through. I would’ve done anything to keep Katie alive but sometimes the end is inevitable and can only be postponed.”

Now I had tears rolling down my cheeks and I nodded at him. He was right, she would eventually die. The tumor couldn’t be removed completely; she’d never be free from cancer.
Dominic got up and hugged me, “It’s going to be okay. You’ll just need time. You should’ve taken the week off.”

“No, I can’t. I wouldn’t know what to do with myself and the team needs me. I’ll be back for her birthday and then I’ll take off to be with her for the last week or so.” I promised.

“I’m sorry this hit so much into the season. It’s the middle of it. Katie at least had me during the off season so I had nothing to do but be with her.” He explained.

“I’m having Brass go almost every day with my daughter so she’ll remember her mother a bit more. I’m checking in with him every day.” I told him.

“That was a good idea. Now how about you and I get so room service and watch some movies to cheer you up.” He offered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second Chapter! What do you guys think?