Status: In progress!

A New Chapter.

One.

“Don’t be a queer! Drink your beer!” The entire bar began to chant continuously as the frat boy standing on top of the table struggled to keep his beverage down. Moments like these made me love my job.

Three years ago I had left my tiny farm town in Arizona to come to the city of steel. A country girl at heart, I had found it kind of difficult to adjust to life in Pittsburg at first. Despite that, I had fallen head over heals for this place. From my small, grungy apartment, to the authentic Italian restaurants that lined downtown, to the wanna-be country bar I worked the counter at night, to the nursing job I had during the day. From where I had been just three short years ago, I was so much happier. My life was fun, it was an adventure everyday, and even if it seemed like I was running from old problems, I wouldn’t change a thing.

“Alrighty girly, what we doing after we get off work?” A spunky voice broke my concentration as I was busy cleaning shot glasses.

Jessica was the first friend I had made in the big city. We instantly bonded over our similar stories. I had left my hometown for a fresh start and so had she. We were hired only a week apart and our boss swore sales started going through the roof shortly after.

“I don’t know Jess. Nursing duties are calling my name tomorrow.”

She rolled her eyes and playfully hit my hand with the rag she was using.

“Well, I feel like going out after this and I want YOU to come with ME. Make me a promise. If I find us boys to go get a drink with later, you’ll come with?”

I let out a sigh. From my experience, I knew that there was no arguing with Jessica. It never ended well.

I shook my head and she let out a squeal of excitement then gave me a gigantic hug.

“Alright, I’m off boy hunting!” She screamed as she headed back out on the floor. Dear Lord, what was I getting myself in to?

**3 hours later**

I looked up at the clock on the back wall. It was around midnight and the next shift of girls would be coming in shortly to take over for Jess and I. She had been on the prowl for a couple hours now and I hadn’t seen her since. Hopefully, her efforts had been useless and I would be able to go home guilt free.

“You ready to go out tonight cowgirl!” I cringed as the familiar voice come from behind while I clocked out.

“I suppose I have no choice. Who are the lucky boys and where are we going?” I tried to sound as annoyed as possibly, hoping she would get the hint that I was just going to be a fun sucker the whole night.

Instead, she grabbed me by the shoulders, flipped me around, and pointed to two gentlemen leaning over the counter.

My stopped sank. They were cute, I could give them both that, but not my type at all. They looked like your typical douchbags that were looking to get lucky and that was NOT happening on my end.

I had been thinking about going back to my locker and putting on a spare cocktail dress and heels that I kept in case of moments like these after work, but I didn’t want these guys to get the wrong impression. Nope, I was going out in my daisy dukes, cut off tee, and boots.

A couple minutes later, a changed Jessica, the two guys, and I were on our way out of the bar and towards to street. My “date,” James gave the taxi driver the name of the place we were headed; Fuel. It was you typical Pittsburg night club that put special emphasis on sports appreciation. Great. I really wasn’t dressed for this.

Out of the corner of my eye, I was catching Jess and her man being all touchy-touchy and might have witnessed a brief make out session. James was trying to make awkward conversation and occasionally would try and place his hand on my thigh. Lucky for me, Fuel was only about ten minutes from my bar and as soon as the taxi came to a complete stop I was immediately out of there. My plan was to get inside, make my way to the bar, and then hide from lover boy.

Thankfully, I came to this place frequently enough that the bouncers knew who I was. They also saw the disturbed look on my face and let me go in without paying a cover. Before James and crew had even gotten in to the building, I was standing at the counter ordering my signature Jack and Coke. The bartender must have been new, I certainly didn’t recognize him, and he was taking forever with my order. Fortunately enough, the highlights from the night’s hockey game were on the big screen tv’s overhead.

“Pass the fucking puck,” I said fairly loud as I watched Crosby and Malkin on a two on one coming down the ice. Malkin was clearly at a better angle for a shot and Crosby was holding on to the puck almost to the red line.

“WHAT THE FUCK!” I screamed and it seemed like almost on cue, Crosby floored it over to Malkin and the buzzer signaling a goal sounded.

“He was just trying to draw the defender in before passing. If you watch it again, you’ll see that he passes it as soon as the defenseman makes a slight move towards him.”
Noticing my drink was in front of me, I simply picked it up, took a sip, and didn’t even bother to give a glance to the guy sitting next to me.

“It just pisses me off that that shit ALWAYS works for Crosby. Just when you think he’s gonna blow it, he pulls off some miraculous move and another bandwagon of fans comes flying in his direction. Guy’s good, but you’d think he was God the way people treat him around this town.”

The guy chuckled.

“Hey, atleast he’s a humble guy. It would be worse if he was some egotistical ass like Kane or Ovechkin.”

This time I laughed.

“Yeah, if I was the golden boy for the NHL I’d put on a good front too. Wouldn’t want anyone to know how much of a prick I really was. For all I know, Sidney Crosby could be the biggest asshole on this side of the country and until I actually meet him, I’ll always think that.”

Almost as soon as I had finished the end of that sentence, the highlight reel had ended. Finally able to concentrate on something else, I took my eyes away from the screen and give the guy sitting next to me a look.

As he caught my astonished gaze, he outstretched his hand. While I had the biggest grimace on my face, his perfect lips had given way to an incredible smile.

“Well, I guess you’ve met me. Still think I’m as awful as you’ve made me out to be?”

I had no words to answer back to Sidney Crosby. None at all.