Status: This writing is a bit dated. It'll progressively improve through the series.

Pandemic

The End

19:58 Hrs, September 12th

Unknown location, Scarfield.

Vincent twitched to life, a sudden and intense fear of being killed flowed through him, then tapered off. He was still alive, just trapped in what he viewed now as the city of death. He wanted to stay in his protective cubicle forever, but knew he would never be saved, and he would never make it another day. His throat was dry and the gash on his back was still bleeding. It was partially scabbed, but it wouldn't heal without medical care. Then he wondered if he was infected with the parasite, whether or not an Adult could spread the Pandemic.

The thought made him shiver.

He sat in indecision for several minutes, debating if he should try to escape or not. After multiple failed attempts he forced himself to his feet and picked up his M1-Carbine, which he had reloaded some time ago. He slowly and silently tiptoed across the room to the door. Through the pitch black darkness Vincent fumbled his way down the staircase. He wondered if anyone else had survived. He doubted it but knew that if anyone had survived, it would be the Commander. Though he didn't know the man's name, he seemed like the hardcore type that could handle any situation. It seemed plausible that Olivia escaped as well, but highly unlikely. There was still an Adult left when he ran away, and those things were lethal.

A sharp crack pierced the silence. He had stepped on the pencil holder. Vincent stood motionless, straining his senses for a response.

There was none.

He slipped outside.

It was not as dark as he first suspected, the moon casting a weak light on the city making everything appear in black and white. A steady fear bubbled up within him. He thought of the Adults again. How they attacked. How they killed. No one knew they were being hunted until half the squad was cut to shreds. Something Mark had said suddenly struck further fear into him. "You'd be dead before you even knew you were being hunted."

The fear erupted within Vincent and he bolted for the safety of the Guillotine Squad. Immediately he knew it was stupid. He was being too loud, too obvious, but he had no control over himself anymore.

A demonic screech shook Scarfield.

It would only be a matter of time before something noticed his existence. Only a matter of time. He was crying. He didn't want to die. Not now, not like this. Through the tears he forgot to look where he was going and tripped over something and fell flat on his face. His Carbine flew out of his grasp and hit the ground, firing a shot.

Nothing registered at first, pained had numbed all thought. Then he realized the trouble he was in. They would all be coming for him now.

~Alpha-Prime whipped around at the sound of the gunshot. It had just finished its transformation into an Adult unlike any other and it savored another hunt. It rushed towards the sound, appearing as a grey blur, ordering its followers to stay back.~

Vincent grabbed his rifle and ran as hard as he possibly could. About a minute passed and he grew nervous. Why weren't there any zombies or Adults? Surely one of them heard the shot. He disregarded the thought as pure luck.

~It was almost on top of its victim now. It dashed forward in perfect stealth, lusting for the kill.~

Vincent heard a gunshot and felt a stabbing pain rip through his right thigh. He fell to the ground hard, his rifle ricocheting into the shadows.

A figure ran out of an alley adjacent to him. "There's no time! Let's go!" It was Olivia.

"You shot me!" Vincent screamed as he struggled to his feet, pain pulsing through his injured leg.

"I saved your life! Alpha-Prime must've clipped you with a claw!" She helped him to his feet. "We have to get out of here!" She lifted her rifle and fired behind Vincent again.

That's when he caught his first glimpse of the immortal creature. It had 12 inch claws on each arm and leg, razor sharp teeth glistening with the moonlight, and bright orange eyes. Orange eyes that seemed to pierce right through him. How they-

"Run dammit!" Olivia screamed.

"I can't! It got my leg!" He heard a roar behind him and hobbled as fast as he could go.

"We're not gonna make it if you don't fuckin' hurry up!"

"Just leave me! There's nothing you can do to save me now!"

Alpha-Prime charged.

It was knocked backwards and to the ground by a barrage of gunfire.

"What the hell?" Vincent blurted out.

"Looks like you just aren't meant to die. Saved three times in one day. Now let's go!" Olivia answered.

Six figures emerged from the shadows. "Squad D reporting. Saw you could use some help." The leader turned to the other men. "Keep some suppressive fire on it. It'll heal otherwise. Now let's get you two back to camp."

Vincent was confused as they hobbled towards the Guillotine Squad. "What're you guys doing out here at night?"

"Saving your sorry asses." The back round gunfire ceased. "I said suppressive- Oh my god! Run!" The Squad D captain pulled Vincent forward into the desert.

"What's wrong?" Vincent asked worriedly.

"It killed my men! It's coming!" He gave a final tug on the teenager's arm. "I'm sorry kid, but I'm gonna have to let you go."

"No!" Olivia screamed. "He's just a boy!"

"It'll be all of us if we try to save him!" He pulled her away. "We can't afford any more loses! Let's go!"

"I'm-I'm sorry." She said, her eyes tearing up.

And with that his saviors deserted him, and he was left alone with Alpha-Prime.

A roar came inches away from his face and he accepted his fate. "So this is h-"
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter starts the last part, "The Fall of the Guillotine Squad.

sounds like a happy ending, huh?