Status: New and upcoming!

Treacherous

this hope

Another day in the office, meant another late night. It was the only way to keep me distracted from constantly looking at my phone. It’s like I liked him, but I certainly was curious if he was going to actually call me. It had been a couple days, so I assumed he probably wouldn’t. Especially after how we awkwardly left things.

A few hours later I finished the last of my work and sat back with a sigh. I looked down at my phone, it was near midnight and I decided it was time to go home. I stood up from my desk, turned off the lamp and revealed the darkness of my massive office. I don’t know why my dad insisted I have this office. I wasn’t using half of it.

I unlocked the door to the building and took the stairs up to my apartment. It was a loft, so it was completely open, with the kitchen to the right, the hallways to the two bedrooms right as you came in the door, the living room just off the kitchen and a massive window that overlooked the small city of Burbank.

I flipped on the light and heard a meow as my cat Sugar rubbed up against my leg, I sighed, “Hey darling” I reached down and picked her up and she nudged my nose before I gave her a kiss and set her back down on the floor. The clock now read 12:58am. I don’t know how I managed to do it, near 14 hour days some days. My dad was big on leaving a lot of the work for me, since I would be taking over.

I shut off the light, went to my bedroom and fell down on my bed, opening up my laptop to Facebook. All it seemed to be was parties, group photos, families having children. So many of these girls I went to school with and they all had lives, families, groups of friends. I had a job, a bit of money and a cat. My life wasn’t moving and theirs was.

A chat popped up as I continued to scroll down the pages, it was Lindsay, a girl I had gone to university with, one I still had contact with.

Lindsay: Hey

Me: Hey! How are things?

Lindsay: Good!I hadn’t talked to you and I haven’t been catching you at a great time. I kept visiting the office but you always seem to be out and I don’t have your new number!

Me: Something you’ve been wanting to tell me?

Lindsay: I just got engaged!

And then it hit me. I was happy for her, no doubt, but at the same time, I was sad for me. It had been a year since I’d been on an actual date. Everyone was moving forward. I was moving up. It’s not the same thing.

Me: I’m really happy for you Lindsay!

Lindsay: Thanks! We’re still very early in the planning, but you’ll definitely be getting an invitation!

I sat back and closed down the chat. Now I felt even worse about myself and much lonelier, even with Sugar curling up next to my leg.

I found nothing exciting on the internet so I closed it up and decided I needed at least six hours of sleep before encountering another day of work. I grabbed my top and shorts and climbed under the covers, eyes wide open and not close to sleep.

It was now almost 2 am and I had come to the conclusion that I would probably get very little sleep, if any. As I reached to turn on the lamp, my phone lit up the room and it was an unknown number. Kris’ name immediately came to mind and I answered it after the third ring.

“Hello?”

“Katherine?”

“Hey. Why are you calling me at this time of night?”

“I don’t know. I just finally got out of the rink after the game and thought I might try and see if you were up. It’s been a busy couple of days, I would have called earlier but—“

“It’s fine” I interrupted, “I’ve been busy too. Plus, I’m wide awake”

“Night owl?”

I sighed, “Not by choice”

“Maybe I should let you try and sleep”

“I’m not going to sleep” I replied, “I can’t really get work off my mind” although that was a lie.

“You work a lot?”

“I got home around 1 this morning. Nothing new” I laughed a little.

“So you being out the other night was a rarity?”

I nodded to myself, “It was. And I was coaxed”

He laughed, “Well I’m glad you were, because otherwise I wouldn’t have met you”

“You’re glad you met me?”

“Well I don’t think any other girl has your sarcasm, wit, beauty and smarts all at once”

I felt my face flush a bit, which hasn’t happened since my boyfriend in high school, “Well thanks, I don’t hear that often”

“I don’t think you let anyone tell you”

I didn’t respond to that because I knew he was right, but I didn’t want to admit it.

“Did you want to go for Thursday night? It’s an off day and so is Friday, and I’d like to take you out”

You want to take me out?”

“Stop sounding so surprised. You need to give yourself more credit”

I didn’t reply.

“I have to sleep, I have practice in the morning, but I really hope you—“

“Yes, I’ll go”

I could practically hear him smile, “Good. I’ll pick you up”

“I’ll call you Thursday”

“Good. Goodnight Katherine”

“Goodnight Kris”

I hung up the phone, questioning whether I had made the right decision or not. Was this really someone I wanted to involve myself with? Was this someone I can see myself with? Will it even work out? I had no answers for any of it, and I was supposed to be the one with all the answers, with everything planned out. But to be honest it was nice to not have the answers, to move into the unexpected. Maybe I would finally start moving forward, instead of up.