Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Jakob

I woke up after hearing people argue outside the car. Confused to what was going on, I opened my eyes and looked around. It was morning and we were parked on a highway. Abandoned cars were lined up along the road. I realized that we were right outside of a city.

After stretching and popping my neck, I quietly got out of the car. I didn't want anyone to know I was now awake, especially since their conversation didn't concern me. I walked a ways away from the group before getting a good look around me. It was scary how all these cars were all lined up behind each other. I guess people were in a traffic jam when everything happened and they just got our of their cars and left. I could see that the lines of cars went all the way to the city.

The talking between Hershel, the other man, and boy had stopped. I figured it was safe to go towards them now without feeling like I didn't belong. Hershel nodded to me when I walked over.

"What are we doing?" I asked quietly, hoping that it wasn't a stupid question.

"Waiting for the others." Hershel answered me.

I went and sat on the trunk of a nearby car. It was a bit cool out this morning to me. I crossed my arms in hope to warm my arms up some.

I was swinging my feet and lightly hitting the bumper when I heard the sound of engines coming from the highway. Glancing up,I saw a motorcycle, a car, and a truck pulling up to where we were waiting. I hopped off the trunk, hoping to see Jake. Familiar faces got out of the vehicles and came over to us. Everyone was quickly in a group talking to each other. I glanced around at each person before frowning. Tears began filling my eyes when I didn't see the person I wanted to see.

"Where's Jake?" My voice began to crack.

Everyone glanced at me when they realized I was with the group again. I watched as they glanced around at each other before looking at me.

"I haven't see him since you guys left." Lori spoke softly. There was a brief silence.

"I saw him..." Carol spoke quietly. "Daryl tried to save him, but he got bit..." She gave me an apologetic smile. It took me a few seconds to process what she said.

I glanced down at my feet. My lips began to quiver. My Jakob was gone. The walkers had gotten to him before anyone else. They could have saved him, but didn't. They let the love of my life die. My knees buckled and I fell to the ground. I covered my tear stained face with my dirty, scabby hands. I felt a hand on my shoulder, but I shrugged it off. I knew they were all watching me. They probably were thinking that I was a big baby. I wanted to be all by myself. I got up from the ground before pushing my way pass the group. I began to run away from them, but a strong arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me back.

"Let me go!" I hissed out in the pain they were causing me. My body was still badly bruised from my fall out of the tree.

"Ya ain't goin' nowhere." A man muttered.

I tried hitting and scratching his arm to get him to let go, but there was no use.

"He's right. You are better off with us." The man who had been driving last night spoke. I still didn't know his name, but I realized that he seemed to be the leader of this group.

"I wanna go find Jake!" I cried out before kicking the man who had a hold of me in the leg. All that seemed to do was piss him off. He growled as he pulled me back tighter so that my back was against his chest.

"Honey, he's gone." Lori spoke softly.

I glanced up from the ground to barely make her out with my blurry eyes. "He's all that I had left." I whispered to her. She came over to me and brought me into a hug. The arm around me dropped once he realized I wasn't going to run. I cried onto her shoulder for a few minutes while everyone else chatted among themselves.

"Dad says we need to get going," a voice spoke to us. I knew it was the little boy.

I nodded my head as to say that I understood. I hugged Lori before wiping the rest of the tears from my eyes. Everyone was already in the cars ready to go, just waiting for us. I explained to Lori that I wanted to be alone before hopping into the back of the truck. I got some weird looks, but nobody said anything as we left.

The cool wind made me shiver as it hit me. Sitting in the back of a truck wasn't the best idea, but I quickly got use to it though. After a while, I got tired of seeing the people in the car behind us stare at me. I laid down and stared at the dried blood that covered the back. It was the blood of many walkers who had been around the truck. Blood that could have been Jakob's if he had changed.

I let out a small sigh before looking up at the sky. Jake was gone and nothing was going to bring him back. I needed to stay strong. I knew that a few others of the group were lost last night too. The ones who were still alive weren't acting the way I was. I knew they probably tried to save them, just like they tried to save Jake. It wasn't their fault at all for what happened. They took me in when they could have just let me go out on my own to get killed. I knew that I owed them my life. I would thank them once we stopped. It would be the right thing to do.