Sequel: Welcome to Paradise

You're Already the Voice Inside My Head

Give Me Therapy

It’s raining really heavily and there’s a car coming down the street it’s going to fast, it’s going to crash and there’s nothing I can do to stop it. The car tries to stop but it skids on the road, it tips and rolls over the sound of crutching metal and grass smashing the only thing to be heard above the rain. I stand on the edge of the road unable to move, watching the now still car lying on its side but that’s when I see it there’s blood...
I open my eyes, it’s dark and I’m lying down on something soft.
“Alex?” someone asks.
“Hey” I say groggily.
“Thank goodness you’re okay! We’re worried you’d had some kind of seizure” I realise it’s my mother talking to me, and that I’m fact lying on the couch in our living room.
“I’m okay, how did I get here?”
“Your friend Rian called and said you’d passed out, you’ve been out ever since”
“Oh”
“How do you feel?”
“Kinda like I’ve just had the flu, achy and feverish”
“Do you need anything?”
“To go to bed I think” I say, pulling myself up right and sending a throbbing pain through my head. I get up and stumble into my bedroom, I shouldn’t really have got up but I need to talk to Jack I probably scared the shit outta him.
Jack? Jack I’m here.
“Alex? Holy fuck you’re alive!”
Alive I’d say well but to be honest I feel like crap.
“What happened?”
I’m not really sure, I got this really sharp pain in my head then it was like I was in my nightmare. There was this car crash and I was just stood there unable to do anything.
“Oh...”
There’s just this blood that covers the road and the car....
“What do you think that means?”
Honestly? That we’ve not got long, whatever going on with us we’ve got to find out because something terrible is coming.
“Fuck... So what are we going to do?”
You think of something, I’m going to try and sleep this flu like feeling I’ve got since that stupid nightmare thing.
“Right... Feel better ‘Lex”
I’ll try.
I wake up the light coming through my bedroom window; my head still kind of hurts but I don’t feel as sick as I did last night.
Jack?
“Wakey Wakey Alex”
Yes hello.
“You okay?”
Yeah, I’m feeling better than last night. How about you? Did you come up with anything?
“Well the main problem is you can’t tell anyone because they’ll just think you’re crazy or some shit so I thought who would understand and I came up with...”
Yes Jack?
“How would you feel about going to see a Medium?”
Seriously Jack? That’s what you came up with? Those people aren’t real, it’s all just a scam for suckers money.
“No think about it, what we’re doing right now shouldn’t be real but it is so why should they be any different?”
It’s still crazy.
“Alex this whole is crazy, a little bit more won’t hurt”
Okay but if I get scammed I’m going to blame you!
“I don’t have any money so that’s okay”
You wait till I find you!

I sneak out of the house as my mum didn’t want me going outside just in case I had another ‘episode’ again, I figure I’ll be okay. I am going looking for answers after all even if Jack’s idea still seems crazy to me, we went through the nearly the whole phone book until Jack settled on someone he liked the sound of. A Madame Rosie-Lee it sounds mad to me but if Jack thinks it’ll work I have to give it a go at least.
It takes me the best part of an hour to get the bus to where this ‘Medium’ lived. I arrive on what appears to be a normal block.
Jack this is just a normal street.
“What were you expecting?”
I don’t know an actual like shop, not someone’s home.
“You scared Alex?”
No I just don’t want to do this alone.
“You’re not alone, you’ve got me”
I can’t hold your hand though.
“One day Alexander, one day”
I walk up to the house, holding my breath and knock on the door.
“Hello, how can I help you?” A lady answers the door; she must be in her mid sixties and looks a lot like Professor Trelawney expect without the glasses.
“Hi hmm I’ve come to see Rosie-Lee the hmm medium”
“Oh Alex I was expecting you, do come in” I take a shaky breath but step inside her home, unsure of what to expect.
Jack this is weird, she knew who I was!
“Calm down ‘Lex, she’s a professional”
If you say so...
“Take a seat Alex” she says, pointing to a chair opposite a small table in the dimply light room I assume was once her living room but it’s hard to tell now due to the amount of drapes covering things and the beads hung from the ceiling.
“How do you know who I am?” I ask.
“I’ve been expecting a young boy by the name of Alex for a few weeks; I can assume you are him”
“Why were you expecting me?”
“You need my help”
“Hmm,”
“So talk to me Alex, where did you come here?”
“You’re going to think I’m crazy”
“No one’s crazy here”
“Well okay...” I tell her everything about Jack, about the nightmares and my recent ‘episode’ that had me passed out. She doesn’t say a word until I’ve finished my story, she just stares at me lips pressed together.
“Alex you and Jack are in danger”
“What do you mean?”
“Your connection is not like one I’ve ever known, stronger than any I have known and someone something is trying to stop you”
“Stop us doing what?”
“Falling in love”
“Whhat?”
“Alex” She leans across the table and grabs my hands. “They’re bad things out there that will try and stop people falling in love, when someone gets drunk and cheats you think that’s an accident? When a person dies before their wedding you think it’s just bad luck? No they’re are things out there who will stop at nothing so no one get’s their happy ending”
“Wh...What do I do?”
“You’ve got to find Jack, your connection is so strong you have a change of winning but to do that you have to be together”
“How do I win? I don’t even know what I’m fighting!”
“You have to get to Jack; your love is the only thing that can stop them”
“But I’m not in love with him and he definitely isn’t in love with me”
“Are you sure about that?” I think of Jack telling me I was beautiful, of me asking to hold his hand... He’s the voice inside my head I can’t be in love with him.
“Go Alex you must get to your Jack, before it’s too late”
“Too late? What do you mean?”
“Just go Alex” I get up and start to run, from her home down the street until I’m as far away as my legs will carry me.
“Alex, what’s going on?”
I don’t... I don’t know. She said something’s coming for us and I have to find you before it’s too late.
“What’s coming for us ‘Lex?”
I don’t know, she didn’t know I’ve just got to find you first.
“You’ll find me, I know you will” But the question is will I fall in love with Jack? Or have I already?