Sequel: Beyond
Status: Complete. Sequel is up now.

Avidity

Trust

John led her away from the lights and the cops and the sound of the gurney being put into the ambulance. He took her away from Daniel. Away from what he had done, so that she would never know. When they were far enough down the block, he released her. Eden looked back at him, her hazel eyes full of tears.

"What happened?" she asked, her voice tight.

"I don't know for certain," he replied. "The cops were there when I rounded the corner. Then I found Daniel's phone."

Eden shook her head. "He never lets his phone out of his sight. He always has it on him. He'd never let someone else take it."

"Unless he didn't have a choice," John replied grimly.

"This is so fucked." Eden was pissed. "Who the hell would want to hurt Daniel? He never did anything to anyone."

"Maybe it was random then," John answered. "That happens more than we realize."

"I have to go back," she said, and moved passed him. "I have to talk to the police. Maybe they'll call me. Did you give them his phone after you found it?"

John nodded, slipped his hand into his pocket, and wrapped his fingers around Daniel's cell. "They'll call you. There's nothing more you can do here. Now, come along. You look like you could use a drink."

"Drinking won't bring him back," Eden said as she walked with him. "It will just make me feel worse."

John turned around. "Then what you need is more than alcohol. I'll cook you some dinner and we'll try and figure this out together."

Slowly, Eden nodded.

John smiled and put out his hand. "Trust me."