Sequel: Beyond
Status: Complete. Sequel is up now.

Avidity

Reasons

Eden found herself in darkness when she finally regained consciousness. Somewhere between a kick to her stomach and smashing her into the wall, John had knocked her out. Her head throbbed. She tried to move, but only managed a few feet before something restricted her.

Chains.

Oh God.

"So you're awake. I was afraid I'd killed you without spilling any blood. That would have been such a shame."

John's voice startled her. It was so different from the kind man she thought she knew, the one she met at the bar. Then she remembered who he was, what he had done, and her stomach tightened.

"I know that you're afraid. If I were you, I'd feel the same. But it's not so bad." He touched her face, and Eden tried to pull away. "I mean, what did you really have here besides that job? You had a boyfriend who wold probably have killed you if I hadn't come along. I saved you."

"Don't touch me," she hissed. "You killed Daniel."

"We've established this." He sounded annoyed.

"You killed him. Why?"

"To protect you."

Lights flickered on, blinding her. John crouched down in front of her. He had something silver in his hand, and it took Eden a moment to recognize it. He gripped her jaw and titled her head up so that her neck was exposed.

Then he pressed his lips to her frantic pulse and stuck the knife into the spot between her shoulder and collarbone.