Status: In Progress

Through the Dark

Chapter Twenty-One: Important Questions

I smiled as I looked at myself in the full-length mirror. I was wearing a one shoulder black and white maxi dress that Selena, Miranda, Dani and Anto picked out for me.

It was white from the shoulder down to the section where my ribs were and the skirt down was black.

I was probably the only girl going without a date. But I didn’t really care anymore.

Selena was sitting on my bed, grinning at the dress I was sporting. “You look gorgeous, Ari!” she giggled.

Selena was wearing a midnight blue dress that brought out the color in her eyes and her hair was in its natural curls down her back. My hair was in a half-up half-down hairstyle.

I didn’t use much makeup because I didn’t want to look like a cake face, so I just used eyeliner, mascara, lipstick and concealer for my eye bags since I haven’t been getting that much sleep these days.

After we were ready, I grabbed my clutch and we took the elevator down to the lobby where everyone was waiting.

As the doors opened, Selena rushed to Alexis who gave her a kiss. I looked around the spacious lobby to see everyone cuddled up in their boyfriends’ arms and here I was.

My eyes landed on Geri who was standing by himself as well. He was wearing a simple black tux with a white dress shirt and he looked really classy and smart.

I walked over to him with a smile and he grinned at me, “You look hermonsa, nena.”

I blushed and thanked him, “You don’t look too bad yourself.”

After everyone was here, we all got into a limo to get to the ceremony. I sat next to Anna and the whole way, she was reassuring me that I looked fine and that it was fine that I was going alone.

We soon arrived at the venue and Anna squeezed my hand comfortingly before walking out of the limo with Andres.

“Ready?” Geri asked me with a smile.

I nodded and I got out first before he did.

Flashes were everywhere and reporters were shouting questions at me. I smiled at all the cameras and someone even complimented on my outfit.

A reporter called me over and I walked over to her with a small smile. “Hola!” she greeted with a grin. “Hola.” I greeted back, brushing a strand of hair back.

“Ariana Messi, correct?”

I nodded and she nodded at the cameramen who rolled the camera, “So we’re here with Ariana Messi, Leo Messi’s twin sister and a new forward for Club Femenì Barcelona. So, Ariana, who are you here with?”

I fake grinned, “Actually I’m here alone.”

She looked shocked but shook it off, “Really? You look gorgeous, we would’ve thought any boy would kill to take you.”

I blushed and grinned at her, “Well, thanks.”

After a few more questions, she thanked me and our little interview was over. I walked over towards Neymar who was standing there with a small frown.

“Everything okay?” I asked him. He shrugged, “Sofia said she’d be here.”

I looked around the spacious area and finally caught sight of a red dress. I quickly called her over and she turned, grinning at us. She smiled at Neymar shyly and I gave her a hug before they launched into their own conversation.

I felt like I was intervening so I walked into the ceremony hall where people were already taking their seats. I looked around for a while with my mouth open, taking everything in.

I stepped back and felt my back hit someone.

I quickly turned around to see Sergio Ramos staring at me with an amused expression.

“Shit,” I whispered, “S-Sergio Ramos. Hi.” I squeaked out. He gave me a small smile, “Hi. And you are?”

I gulped and blinked a while before the words finally came out of my mouth. “Ariana Messi.” I squeaked out.

Even though he was in Real Madrid and they were rivals of Barcelona, I couldn’t help but drool over the defender.

“Messi?” he raised his eyebrows, “You’re with Lionel?”

I nodded, “Twin sister.”

“You’re his plus one? Where’s Antonella?”

I shook my head, “No, I got an invite. I’m actually starting off at Club Femenì Barcelona as a forward.” I blushed.

He grinned at me, his eyes dazzling. “That’s great. Are you here alone?”

I nodded and he smiled, putting his hand on the small of my back. “Well, it’s nice to meet you.” He said as the announcer announced that the ceremony was starting.

I smiled back at Sergio and found my seat next to Anna and Daniella. The opening was pretty cool, but I felt myself soon getting bored as all the players got up on stage to say their speeches whenever they won their awards.

Finally, the last award was being called out: Player of the Year.

Leo, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery were the nominees and my heart was pounding in my ears. I knew how 2013 wasn’t that good of a year for Leo and he’s already won three years in a row.

I saw Anto grabbing Leo’s hand reassuringly from the corner of my eye and we all waited for the name to be called out.

“Cristiano Ronaldo!” the announcer yelled. The crowd burst into applause as the camera flashed towards Cristiano who was kissing his girlfriend and his son.

He walked up to the stage with his lookalike son and he said his acceptance speech with tears in his eyes and he finally finished, getting down from the stage.

I smiled at Leo who was smiling, though I knew he was disappointed in himself for breaking the streak.

After the closing and when everything got settled again, we all got up. There was an after party but Leo wasn’t interested in going and Anto stuck by Leo the whole time.

As I walked out, I bumped into Sergio again.

“Oh, hey Ariana. I’m really sorry that Leo didn’t win the award.” Sergio frowned, putting his hand on my shoulder. I smiled at him and shook my head, “It’s fine, thank you Sergio.”

We made small talk for a while and his ride showed up.

“I’m going to the after party. Are you going to be there?” he asked. I shrugged, “Maybe.”

He winked at me, “I’ll see you around, gorgeous.” He whispered before leaving a lingering kiss on my cheek.

I felt my cheeks heat up as I watched him get into the long sleek black limo. I turned to see Anna, Daniella, Antonella, Miranda and Sofia with their jaws on the ground.

I walked towards them and they started squealing and asking me what he said to me. Anna had to go home since she was feeling under the weather but Dani, Anto, Miranda and Sofia were going to the party.

Almost all of us piled into the limo again and we talked for a bit, telling Leo he did a great job and we congratulated the others like Andres and Xavi who also got nominated.

When we got to the swanky club, everyone ran out eagerly. I got out after everyone else and got into the club.

As I walked in, my eyes lit up when I saw soccer players and WAGs everywhere.

The first thing I did was walk to the bar. I ordered a diet soda and sipped on it, watching everyone dance and get drinks.

“Hola, Ariana.” I heard Sergio’s voice. I turned to see him smiling at me. He was sitting down next to me with a beer in his hand.

“Hola, Sergio.” I greeted back. “You came at last.” He chuckled. I nodded and smiled. He asked me a few more questions about Femenì and when my first game was.

“I don’t really know, I’ve only been to one training session. The season starts up in another three months.”

He nodded understandingly and the DJ turned the song into a slow romantic one. He winked at me and took my hand.

“Oh, Sergio. I can’t dance. I look like a headless chicken when I do.” I joked. He furrowed his brows with a smirk playing at his lips.

“Liar.” He whispered into my ear. Bringing me into a small embrace as he rocked our bodies back and forth to the music.

His cologne wafted into my nostrils, making me bury my head further into his neck.

Maybe Sergio was all I needed?

Not Zach, the reckless bad boy who always needed something to keep him going. Not Lucas, the abusive, possessive one. And maybe not even Gerard, the soft, funny, protective, caring one.

I got so lost in my thoughts that I didn’t know the song ended. Sergio and I were just standing in a tight embrace in the middle of the dance floor.

I turned to see Geri by the bar with a cold look in his eyes before walking out of the bar.

“Excuse me.” I whispered, directing a small smile at Sergio before walking out of the club.

Gerard was walking down the sidewalk and it was freezing. “Geri!” I yelled, waddling over to him in heels. He turned to look at me but rolled his eyes and kept walking.

“Gerard!” I yelled again, using his full name. He ignored me and walked even faster. “Fuck this.” I whispered, taking hold of my heels and grabbing them.

The cold pierced my feet and I nearly cried out in pure pain but I knew I had to keep walking. Without the heels, I could walk faster.

Fast enough to catch him.

He took a left turn to an open field and I quickly followed him. As soon as I reached the field, I saw him walking to the center of the field. I waddled over to him and quickly put my heels back on.

“Gerard, what was that?” I asked. He turned to me and glared at me, “Why don’t you go back to Ramos? I’m sure he’d like that.” He snapped.

I raised my eyebrows at him, “Sergio? There’s nothing going on between us!”

He rolled his eyes, “Do you honestly think I’m blind, Ariana? I saw you all over him!”

“Can’t friends hug?!” I shot at him. “Not for three full minutes!” he growled. “What’s your problem anyway?! What’s wrong with me and Sergio hugging?”

“Because I like you! Okay, Ariana? I like you! Do you know how crushed it makes me to see you with other guys? It nearly killed me to see you with Zach and now with another footballer? You’re probably going to be a WAG and it kills me that you won’t be mine! Just go back to Sergio, he’s probably wondering where you are now.” He snapped.

I was supposed to be angry, but all I felt were butterflies in my stomach. He liked me back. He actually liked me back.

All the feelings I had for Sergio melted away as I looked at Gerard in awe. He was walking out of the field but I lunged forward and grabbed his hand.

“I’m crazy about you too.” I murmured.

I looked up to see his eyes lighting up before he put his hands on my waist. He leaned in and so did I.

And there it was. The most perfect moment.

His lips captured my own and I wrapped my arms around his neck. Fireworks went off in my head and I felt like my body was on fire.

Our lips moved in sync and I know that all I wanted now was Geri.

After we pulled away, he smiled and took his jacket off and wrapped it around me. I blushed and hugged him tightly.

“Nena,” he whispered. I looked up at him and he smiled, his blue eyes shimmering. “Be my girlfriend?”

I grinned, not being able to hide it anymore. “Si.”
♠ ♠ ♠
x