Max & Me

Memories of you

Ch. 9- Memories Of You

*Danielle’s POV

“Where is my son?” asked Liam, tears welling up in his eyes. I forced myself to stop being sick for a moment, so I could try and explain things. “He’s my son Liam.” I told him. “I want that to be clear.”

“Danielle, he’s my son… right?” asked Liam, trying to sort everything out in his head. “He’s your son. But he’s not yours. He’s mine. You don’t get to take him away from me.”

“Fine... I just want to see him. How old is he?” asked Liam. “He’s one.” I replied. “Does he look like me?” asked Liam, one tear falling, “Why didn’t you tell me about him?”

“He doesn’t look like me, or you.” I replied to his first question. I purposely didn’t answer the second question. “He’s in the living room.” I told Liam quietly. “But remember…”

“Yeah, I know. He’s yours Danielle, not mine.” Said Liam, as his lip quivered. “Sorry.” I whispered, pushing past Liam, into the living room. I could hear his footsteps following, as I picked up Max from his playpen.

I’d never changed him from his puke-stained sleeper. I must look like some Mother. “That’s him?” asked Liam. The look in Liam’s eyes when he saw Max was… indescribable. “He’s perfect.” Liam whispered. Max was half-asleep as Liam spoke.

“Are you sure this isn’t a joke?’’ asked Liam. He looked like all the tears inside him were going to rush out at any second. “I wouldn’t lie about this.” I snapped, wiping the puke off the side of my mouth. I used all my strength to hold Max up as I talked to Liam.

“Can I hold him?” asked Liam, holding out his hands. I held Max close, his head resting on my shoulder. What if Liam runs away with him, like in my dream? What if he doesn’t give Max back? Shut it Danielle, he’s Liam Payne, sweetest boy on earth.

I took one look at Max, then back to Liam. “Fine.” I whispered, holding Max out. Max moved his arms from around my neck, and made himself comfortable in Liam’s arms. “Oh my god.” Liam whispered. “I’m holding my son.”

I couldn’t help but smile. Suddenly, the rush of vomit arose in my throat. I put my hand over my mouth for the third time today, and ran to the bathroom. “Danielle!” Liam called after me. I can’t just stop running.

I’m going to puke. I began to vomit again. “Aw.” I heard Liam say from outside the door. I heard the door knocking again, and realized that Eleanor had finally gotten here. It didn’t actually take her too long.

The front door opened, and someone came inside. “Hey Mate, what’s taking you so long?” asked an Irish accent. Oh crap, not another person. Then the door slammed closed. “Who’s that baby?” asked Mr. Irish. “Shut up Niall.” I heard Liam say. “What did I do?” asked Niall, “I’m being nice. I drove you here, you know.”

“I said shut up.” Said Liam. “Hold him.” I heard Liam say. “Why?” asked Niall, “Liam, what’s going on?”

“Just hold him. Be careful.” Said Liam. “Fine, fine.” Said Niall. “Aw, he’s cute.” Said Niall a moment later. Seconds later I felt someone holding up my hair, and rubbing my back. “Shhhh, Dani.” It was Liam.

“I’m so sorry I wasn’t there for the past couple years. So, so sorry.” I couldn’t manage a response, through the vomiting. “If it’s okay with you, I’d love to be a part of my sons life.”

The vomit subsided, and I sat up. Liam passed me a tissue, and I wiped the sides of my mouth. I closed te toilet seat, and flushed the toilet. Liam helped me up to sit on the lid. I dropped the tissue in the toilet, and Liam took another tissue.

Liam wiped the rest of the vomit off my face, and tossed out the tissue. “I look horrible.” I whispered. “You look beautiful.” Liam tried to assure me. “Save it Liam. You’re not my boyfriend anymore. I don’t need your pity compliments.”

“So much for being nice.” Liam muttered, changing his position so he was siting on the floor with his legs crossed. “Who’s a little boy?” I heard Niall ask. No answer. “That’s right! You are! You good baby!” I heard Niall exclaim. Giggles followed.

He got Max to laugh while he’s sick. I should have known. Niall is great with little kids. “Anyway.” Said Liam, pushing the bathroom door closed a little, so we couldn’t hear Niall talking in a baby voice.

“I want to get to know Max, before he’s older. He has to grow up with his daddy.” Liam claimed. “We’ve done fine. Just because you know he exists, doesn’t mean it changes anything.”

“But… Danielle. He’s my son.” I took a deep breath, “Maybe by blood. But that’s it.” Liam gulped, the apple of his throat rising. “Please.” He begged. “Liam,” I cut him off, “You’ve known Max for less then 10 minutes. I can’t just let you into his life.”

Liam stood up, and brushed off his pants. “Let me know when you change your mind.” Said Liam in a choked voice. He pulled open the bathroom door, and called for Niall. “Liam,” I whispered, “I just don’t know if I’m ready. What if he starts to think Sophia is his mum…”

I was cut off by Liam, “-Is that what this is about?” asked Liam angrily, “Sophia?!” My eyes widened in fear. I’ve never seen Liam angry before. He turned around, and punched the wall. Luckily, it didn’t break with the hard force he just put on it.

“N-No… It’s not Sophia.” I tried to say. “Liar.” Liam muttered. “I can’t see my own son, because you’re jealous of Sophia? Yes, Danielle, I love her, and not you. Don’t take it out my relationship with my boy.”

“Liam,” I growled. “He’s not your boy. You don’t even know his name.” Liam gulped again, and scratched his neck. “Yeah? Because nobody told me.” Liam tried to intimidate me. It’s not going to work. Who does he think he is?

I stood up, and crossed my arms. I got up into Liam’s face. “Yeah?” I said to him, “You, never asked.” I said, poking his chest. Liam took a step back. “You’re trying to scare me Danielle, but it’s not working!” Liam said, his voice rising. The louder he got, the more scared I felt to be near him. His anger was frightening.

Liam took a step closer to me, and I instantly felt vulnerable of what he’d do to me. Will he scream in my face? Tell me he hates me? “You, Danielle.” Said Liam, poking my shoulder, “Are more then selfish. You’re a horrible person.”

A tear slid down my cheek, as I avoided Liam’s eyes. “You hear me Danielle?!” he screamed, getting more into my face, as I slowly backed away. “You hear me?!” Liam cried. Seconds later, Max’s cries filled the room. I turned towards the door, and saw Niall with his hands over Max’s eyes, as Max screamed.

“Mumma!” Max cried, “Mumma!” Liam’s eyes widened, and he turned to look at me. I had tears in my eyes, and I felt like puking again. “Danielle…” Liam whispered. “You’re completely right, Liam.” I said, one tear slowly falling, “I am selfish for keeping Max from you.”

“But I would have told you about him if you would have bothered to call. Now, Liam, you don’t get that opportunity. You scared our son, and he’s never going to want to see you again. You ruined it for yourself.”

He looked down at his feet. I pushed past Liam, and took my screaming son from Niall. “Thanks Niall.” I whispered, side-hugging him. I could see Liam mentally screaming at me. “No problem.” Niall whispered. I held Max close, as he cried into my shirt.

“Go Liam.” I said firmly, another tear falling. “No problem.” Said Liam, pulling the front door open. “Bye Danielle,” said Niall, offering a smile. “Bye.” I whispered. Niall walked out first, and Liam stood at the door for a moment. “Who else knows?” asked Liam, looking outside the door, trying to avoid eyecontact.

“Louis, Eleanor and Perrie.” I replied. With that, Liam left, slamming the door behind him. I just stood at the door for a moment, in total surprise of what just happened. I rushed into the formal living room that I don’t use much, and looked out the window.

I saw Niall and Liam walking to their car. Liam was openly crying, tears dripping down his cheeks. Liam’s boots left distinct footprints in the fresh snow, as he walked to the car. Niall unlocked it, and they both climbed inside.

Just as they backed out, Eleanor’s car drove in. Her car drove right over Liam’s footprints. Now I have nothing left of Liam. I don’t even have his footprints. Eleanor climbed out of her car, a bag across her arm. I saw some Ginger Ale sticking out of the top. She is too good of a friend.

She walked up to the door, and knocked. I rushed back to the door, and opened it with my one hand. The other hand was supporting Max, of course. She walked inside, shivering. “Who was just here?” she asked, as she kicked off her shoes, “I saw some car rush out just before I got here.”

“It was nothing.” I replied. “Some people trying to sell things door-to-door.” Eleanor nodded, dismissing it. Thank-God. Eleanor put her purse, and the bag of pop down. She lifted out her arms. I passed her Max, and picked up the soda. “Thanks.” I said, and brought the drink into the kitchen.

“No problem.” Said Eleanor, smiling. “Be careful,” I warned Eleanor, “Max might vomit on you.”

“Don’t worry.” Said El, “I wore my painting clothes. It doesn’t matter if they get pukey.” I got a glass out of the cupboard, “You want some?” I asked, contemplating whether to get two glasses, or one. “Nah thanks.’’ Said Eleanor, taking a seat at the breakfast bar.

“Okay.” I said, and poured myself some of the drink. “I’m just going to put Max in this high-chair. I’m going to go grab my purse, okay?” she asked. “Great.” I managed. I just want to burst into tears over what happened with Liam. She slid Max into his chair, and jogged to the front door.

When she came back, she had a box in her arms. It had a label on it, that read: DANIELLE’S STUFF.

“Oh yeah, that.” I whispered. “What’s this doing here?” she asked, dropping the heavy box on the counter, and crossing her arms. “Well…” I whispered. “Don’t bother lying.” Eleanor whispered. “Was that Liam who was here?”

I nodded slowly, tears in my eyes. “Aw, baby-girl.” Said Eleanor, opening her arms. Now I can let it out. I began to sob, and attempted to tell Eleanor what happened. She hugged me close as I sobbed into her old t-shirt.

10 minutes later, I think I was done with my little episode. “I understand.” She whispered, hands on my shoulders. “I really do.”

“Want to look through the things?” asked Eleanor, motioning to the box. “Well, I guess I’ll do it while I’m feeling like crap anyway.” Eleanor gave a smile, and lifted the flaps of the boy. I sat at the breakfast bar, and waited for her to take out of the first item.

“Sweater?” asked Eleanor. “That was the sweater Liam gave me when I was cold on our first date.” I whispered, smiling at the memory. “Garbage, or keep?” she asked, popping the kitchen trash can open with her foot. “Keep.” I whispered. “Max can have it when he’s older.”

Eleanor closed the trashcan, and put the sweater down on the counter. Next she pulled out a photo-frame. Inside was a picture of Liam and I at a football game. “Throw it out.” I said, before the memory could enter my mind. “What about the frame..” Eleanor started. “Toss it.” I interrupted.

Eleanor dropped the photo in the trashcan. I heard the glass break when it landed. “This?” asked El, holding up a napkin. “Toss it.” I told her. “It was just a napkin from when we had Chinese food together.”

We spent the next hour going through Liam and I’s things. Liam got to keep Loki, our dog, so I got to keep a photo of Loki. I kept a few things, but mostly tossed them in the trash.

“Last thing.” Said Eleanor, taking out a letter. I gasped, hand going over my mouth for the 4th time today. This time it was for a good reason. “What is this?” asked Eleanor, turning the letter over. “Give it.” I whispered, snatching it from her.

“Okay.” Said Eleanor, leaving it at that. She slowly put the things I was keeping back in the box. I read the letter over.

Dear: My Love, My Life, My Dream, My Past, My Future, My Present, My Girl, Danielle.
I love you so much Danielle. I wrote this letter, so that when we’re old, and married with kids, we can read it, and remember how in love we used to be. You’re in your room, writing a letter too.
I’m going to keep the letter you write forever. I won’t give it up for anything. It’s our one mouthaversasry. That’s why we’re writing these. You said it’d be a cool idea, so of course, I had to go along with it. I’m so happy I got to spend a whole year with the most beautiful girl on this planet. I’m the luckiest man in the world. I hope our kids can read this someday, and know how much their parents truly love each other. You’re so perfect Danielle. Don’t forget it… Love you baby-girl. –Your Liam.

I was about to cry, when I remember Eleanor was still here. I folded the note, and stuck it in my bra. I hate when girls do that, but I have nowhere else for it at the time. “What was that?” asked Eleanor. “Just some receipt from the time Liam bought me some earrings.”

“Okay.” Said Eleanor. She could tell I was lying, but decided not to pry into it. You see, she’s the best friend any girl could ever ask for. Along with my sister, and Perrie. And my friends from dance school. I took a deep breath. “Thanks for coming over El.”

She smiled, “It was nothing. I love you.” I smiled, “Love ya too.”Hey lovelies. WROTE THIS IN AN HOUR, BA-BAM! Haha, it's over 9 pages long! SO proud! Love you! -Avery