Settle Down

Avery

“Your idea of lunch is Starbucks?”

Avery stood in line with Crystal, glancing over the menu to decide on what she wanted, but feeling her stomach growl; she turned her attention back to Crystal with a pleading look.

“What? I love Starbucks. They have lunch here too.” She defended, making Avery give up entirely on trying to convince her to eat somewhere else.

The line was moving along and Avery made a snatch for one of the pre-made turkey sandwiches in the fridge at the front. The two of them ordered their drinks and paid for their sandwiches before going to the other side of the counter to wait.

“So, what were you and Dylan talking about?”

“Just small talk, you know,” she replied casually, observing the people who entered the coffee shop, “that sort of stuff.”

Crystal smirked, “Don’t give me that crap, Avery. I saw the way he was looking at you. Did you guys make some kind of romantic connection?”

“Oh, please, you know I don’t believe in that shit.” She rolled her eyes, scooting up in the wait line since their orders should be next. “Besides, when can a girl and a guy ever have a normal conversation without the assumption of ‘love’ being involved?”

“Grande iced White Chocolate Mocha and a venti iced Caramel Macchiato!”

The two girls grabbed their drinks and went to find a table near the window.

“I’m just saying,” Crystal began, opening up the plastic box that contained her sandwich, “I know I was angry and all, but I saw the way he was looking at you. It was like he was in love with you or something.”

“That’s ridiculous, Crystal,” Avery mumbled before taking a bite of her sandwich, “We just met.” She took a sip of her white chocolate mocha, shifting her gaze out the window at the numerous people walking outside, carrying around shopping bags.

“Ugh, I know, he has a girlfriend anyways,” Crystal said, nearly finishing half of her sandwich already.

“Oh? Who?”

“Her name is Britt Robertson. They worked on a movie together last year and I guess they started dating since. She’s pretty cool.” Crystal shrugged.

Britt Robertson? That name sounded oddly familiar. Avery sat there pondering for a moment. “Is she the girl off that show ‘The Secret Circle’?”

“I think so? Never heard of it, but probably. I heard Dylan telling Tyler that one of her shows got cancelled so she signed onto another one.”

“Ah, I see,” she responded, finishing half her sandwich, already feeling full.

“So, my friend Holland is throwing a party on Friday at her place. You should come.” Crystal shoved the last bit of her sandwich into her mouth before gulping down half her macchiato. It was amazing how fast she ate.

“Sure,” Avery answered, closing the box since she decided to save her sandwich for later as she took another sip of her coffee, “that definitely sounds fun.”

“Great! You’re going to meet the rest of the Teen Wolf cast!” Crystal exclaimed, receiving a few glances from the people around them.

“You make me ought to be one of those girls who lives off fantasizing about meeting them,” Avery rolled her eyes.

“I don’t,” Crystal shrugged, “but I do want you to get back in the dating game again since –

“Don’t,” Avery interjected, her heart sinking at where this was heading. She looked down at her drink sadly, memories beginning to implode her mind. She felt Crystal place a comforting hand on hers.

“I’m sorry,” her cousin apologized sincerely, “but it’s been five years, Avery. When will you stop hurting over it?”

She was right, but Avery couldn’t bring herself to talk about it or even utter a simple reply back. Only able to nod her head in agreement, Avery got to her feet, grabbing her sandwich box and coffee. “Shall we go?”

“Yeah,” Crystal gathered her trash and dumped it a few feet behind them into the bin. They exited the coffee shop, which was starting to get busy again.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Avery hugged her cousin goodbye, pulling away with a small smile.

“Definitely,”

Avery was thankful for her apartment being down the street, hoping the walk there would ease her mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone obsessing over last night's episode with Stiles and Malia?
I know I am.

Thank you for all those who have been subscribing!
And to:
bilinski
lem0ns0ng
kennedy;
for recommending this story.

You guys are truly amazing!