Settle Down

Avery

The party was getting wild.

And by wild, she meant the good kind of wild. Everyone was taking shots in various groups, cheering happily as they clinked their shot glasses together, and chugging the strong, burning liquid down their throats. That process was repeated many times throughout the night and Avery was starting to feel the works of the alcohol in her system.

Her face was flushed as Max whisked her away to the dance floor, immediately stepping to the beat of the music as he pressed himself against her back. She closed her eyes, swaying back and forth to the music as more people began to join in around them. Two songs later, Max swiftly turned her body around, pressing his forehead to hers as they continued to move to the music, but this time; she finally took notice at how incredibly close the two were. At the realization, she managed to yell out that she needed a drink, feeling his hands fall off her hips as he gave her a smile, heading in the direction of the kitchen.

Avery took this as an opportunity to stray from the dance floor, slipping out onto the terrace to get away from the heated crowd and of course, Max. She let out a sigh of relief, turning around only to see someone else already occupied it.

“Dylan?”

The tall brunette turned his head at the sound of her soft voice and gave her a weak smile. “What are you doing out here?”

“I needed some fresh air,” Avery replied, slowly making her way beside him, resting her elbows atop the cool, metal bar as she stared up into the night sky. “Why aren’t you inside?”

He shrugged with a smile. “Had one too many shots. Didn’t want to make a fool of myself in there.”

“Oh please,” she chuckled, “I’m pretty sure I groped a girl and nearly tripped over my own feet trying to get to the dance floor.”

“You seemed fine on the dance floor with Max,” he commented, sipping his beer once more, “Shouldn’t you be getting back to him?”

At the mention of Max, she completely forgot that she bailed on him while he was generous enough to fetch them more drinks. Dylan turned his head when he realized Avery didn’t reply for a while and noticed the guilty expression on her face. “I kind of bailed on him.”

He arched his eyebrows, shoving his free hand into his pocket while the other held onto the beer bottle. “How come? You looked like you were having fun.”

She quickly glanced up at him, noticing underneath the lights that his brown eyes glistened beautifully beneath them. “I think my definition of fun differs from his.” She mumbled, turning her focus back to the sky.

“You can do better,”

Her head snapped back to him. “What?”

He chugged down the rest of his beer, placing the bottle sloppily down onto a nearby table before turning to face her. “Max is no different than that guy who screwed you over.”

Avery felt her mouth open slightly; trying to process what was going on. She noticed he was beginning to slur his words, but he couldn’t have been far too gone since he was standing perfectly still rather than the normal drunk who swayed everywhere.

“How do you know about him?” Avery asked softly, watching the boy intently through narrowed eyes.

He shook his head. “She was just looking out for you.”

Already knowing who ‘she’ was, Avery gripped onto the rail tightly. “She had no right to tell you. Any of you.”

“Don’t be mad, Avery,” he quickly said, taking a step closer to her. “She just wants you to be happy with someone who wouldn’t hurt you the way that –

“Stop.”

She felt her eyes start to water and her grasp tighten even more. It wasn’t the thought of what happened to her that made her sad. Immersing in school and various internships made the heartbreak a little less unbearable through her years in Texas. It was mainly the fact that everyone was expecting her to get together with Max tonight. She just met the guy. She knows absolutely nothing about him aside from him being a twin and that he loves motorcycles because they came here on one. And also, that Crystal was blabbering her business to her fellow cast mates.

“I’m sorry,” Dylan apologized, concern washing over those chocolate brown orbs. He placed a warm hand over hers, sending an electric current throughout her body. She quickly pulled her hand out from underneath, stepping away to create some distance between them. Unaware of the hurt look that flickered across that handsome face of his, Avery pulled away from the railing.

“I should probably head back inside,” she murmured, heading towards the door, but she felt herself being pulled back.

“Avery,”

Dylan gave her this heart melting, pleading look that would’ve nearly killed her if she weren’t so tipsy and furious at the same time. It took every bit of strength in her body to pull her hand free before turning her back to him, and walking back into the party.
♠ ♠ ♠
ERMAGERD, Dylan is too hot.
I can't even.
Comments are highly encouraged.
I love all of you guys, truly.
Next one will be intense! x