Through Thick and Thin

Five:

"If it hurts too much to look back, but you're too scared to look ahead, just look beside you and I'll be there.”

September, 1988

I was Seven, and I was sitting in my bedroom drawing a picture for my dad for when he got home from work. Mommy had braided my long red hair in pigtails for school this morning and made me change out of my school clothes. I was now wearing light blue jeans, and a white shirt, gnawing on my bottom lip as I colored in the bright yellow sun in the picture. I looked up when I heard the front door slam and grinned, getting up off of the floor picture in hand and rushed from my room.
“Daddy!” I called happily; he smiled slightly at me before asking me where Mommy was. I stood there confused, it wasn’t so much him asking where Mommy was that was the issue, it was how he asked it.

“Where’s your mother?”

“In the kitchen. . . Look Daddy! I drew you a picture!” I held the piece of paper out to him; he took it and pulled me into a sideways hug.

“It’s pretty Quinn thank you.” I watched as he folded up the paper and stuffed it into the pocket of his jacket before he moved through the house, calling out mommy’s name.

“Annabelle?!”

Daddy never called mommy by her full name, it was always just Anna. I followed behind him slowly, hiding in the doorway to the kitchen where Mommy was making dinner, she didn’t look happy though; in fact she looked kind of sad.

“What do you want Michael.” The way Mommy had said Daddy’s name made me flinch; it was in the same tone she said mine when she had found the blue marker stain on the living room rug.

“Anna…” He sighed, stepping closer. “I wanted to talk to you about this before they sent out the papers…”

Mommy stopped cutting up the carrots and put the knife down, heaving a sigh. “Oh really? How long have you been planning this Michael, when did you intend on telling me you wanted a divorce?!”

I watched my parents argue confused, what did Divorce mean? Why was Mommy so mad at Daddy
and why did she look so sad?

“Anna, you can’t tell me you didn’t see this coming?” Daddy sighed, running his fingers through his dark auburn hair, his hair was more brown than red.

“Of course I didn’t!” Mommy yelled throwing her hands into the air, “I’ve tried my best Michael, I’ve raised Quinn, I’ve been by your side. I’ve worked my ass off for this family, and YOU just want to forget all about that, Just want to leave me? Leave our daughter? Who is she Michael?”

What did Mommy mean by Daddy leaving? Was he going on another business trip?

“Anna, I’d nev-“

“Who is she Michael Ryan O’Conner!”

Uh-oh, Daddy was really really in trouble. Mommy used his full name.

“Patrisha.” He sighed, “Anna, I love her, and… we want to get married, I don’t want to hurt you or
Quinn, but… I can’t keep living like this!”

Mommy was silent, until she reached out and slapped Daddy. “Get out, Michael. GET OUT!”
I scrambled away from the door way as Mommy and Daddy got closer, crying out to my father as he rushed towards the door.

“Daddy!” I tried to run after him, but Mommy wouldn’t let me. “Daddy! Come back! Mommy! Let go! DADDY!”

I heard his car door slam, Mommy slumped down to the floor crying and I ran to the front door, flinging it open, running out into the front yard, yelling for my dad as he drove away. “Daddy!”

~~
October 15th 1989.

My 8th birthday had just past. Mommy and Daddy weren’t living together anymore. Mommy said it’s because Daddy found a new house, one that wasn’t big enough for me and her, but that Daddy still loved me. I had heard what “Divorce” meant from kids at school, it meant that Mommy’s and Daddy’s didn’t live together anymore, because one of them didn’t love the other anymore. Daddy didn’t love Mommy anymore.

I was sitting on the front porch, playing with the zipper to the backpack that was on my lap. I was spending the weekend with Daddy at his new house because he hadn’t been able to make it to my birthday party.

I looked up smiling as his car pulled into the drive way and I waved, opening the front door to call for my mother in the house. “Mommy! Daddy’s here!”

Daddy got out of the car and grinned, waving at me as he rounded the car, opening the passenger’s side door. I frowned watching as a blonde woman climbed out of the car and rest her hand on my Daddy’s arm smiling.

Mommy came outside, she didn’t look happy. “Quinn?”

“Yes Mommy?” I asked, looking up at her, as she moved to kneel down in front of me.

“You behave for Daddy and his friend ok? Be a good girl.”

“Okay Mommy!” I grinned, hugging her tightly around her neck, and kissing her cheek.

“I love you sweet heart.”

“I love you too, Mommy!”

“You ready to go Quinn?” Daddy asked, he was standing at the foot of the stairs, the Blonde woman waited a few feet away.

“Yep! Daddy I’m a big girl now I’m eight!” I grinned, shouldering my backpack. Daddy held his arms out. I giggled and happily jumped into them kissing his cheek.

“I know! Pretty soon you’ll be all grown up and won’t even need me!”

I giggled shaking my head. “You’re silly daddy.”

We approached the blonde Woman, who smiled at me. But something seemed off about the smile, it was almost scary. “Quinn, be polite. Say Hi.”

“Hi…” I waved slightly hiding in my face. “My Name is Quinn Leigh O’Conner, what’s yours?”

“Why Hello there Quinn Leigh, your daddy has told me a Lot about you. I’m Patrisha. It’s very nice to finally meet you.”

Why did that name sound familiar? “Nice to meet you too.” I smiled, as Daddy set me down and opened the passenger side doors for Patrisha and I, making sure I was buckled in safely before jogging around to the other side of the car and getting in. I waved to Mommy as we pulled out of the drive way, she looked sad and angry…

It was then I remembered why Patrisha sounded so familiar. I glared at the back of the blonde woman’s head. She was the reason Daddy left me and Mommy.


“Quinn… Quinn wake up!” I groaned, hiding my face and rolling away. Hissing loudly as I bumped into something hitting my bruise, jolting me awake.

“Quinn?” I blinked away the sleep from my eyes and rubbed at my face, my cheeks were wet… I then remembered my dream, and whimpered softly, hugging my knees to my chest.

“Quinn? What’s wrong?” Squeezing my eyes shut I shook my head from side to side.

“Nothing Jimmy.”

“You’re full of it, C’mere.” I felt him tug me closer to his body, he held me tightly as I let the memories take over again and I sobbed into his chest, clutching his t-shirt tightly in my hands.

“What’s wrong?” He questioned softly, as my sobbing subsided. “Nightmare?”

“I... wish… cause then it wouldn’t be real.” I hiccuped, pulling away to rub at my face with the back of my hand.

“Which Memory was it this time?” He asked softly, brushing my hair away from my face with his fingers.

“When I was seven.” I sighed, closing my eyes. Jimmy knew most of my memories by heart now.

“When my Mom kicked my Dad out… and then it went to the first time I met bitch-zilla.”
Jimmy frowned, pulling me close again in a hug. “It’s all in the past Quinn, don’t dwell on it. Look towards the future, or the now. I’m here. You’re not alone.”

I smiled, kissing his cheek. “When’d you get so wise?” I questioned, feeling better already just by his words.

“I guess that Edjuamication thing you were talking about yesterday really does pull off sometimes.”

I laughed, falling backwards onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling. “I guess so, what time is it?”

I felt him shift around on the bed, looking for my alarm clock. “6:30.”

Sighing, I threw my arm over my eyes. “We should start getting ready then.”

“How about we ditch?” I could hear the smile in his voice.

“We spent three hours working on homework last night; we’re going to turn it in. On time, besides Zack and I have games today.”

Jimmy sighed. “I thought you got benched?” His voice took on a whining tone.

“I did, but I still have to dress out and support the team.” I sighed, removing the hand from my face.

“Get outta bed you schmuck. I have to pee and find my uniform.”

“God damn pushy people.” Jimmy grumbled, rolling out of bed with a thud before exiting my bedroom and heading out to the living room. I could hear him call out cheerfully to my mother.

“Morning Ms. C!”

“James, it’s far too early for such loud voices, please.”

She had a hangover. I scoffed, fishing clean underwear and my uniform out of a hamper as I made my way to the bathroom, cleaning my face, brushing my hair and checking my side; Jimmy was right, it did look rather gnarly, it was purple and blue now, and slightly yellow around the edges.

Heaving a sigh, I shimmied into my uniform pants, pulled on the long sleeved under armor shirt, and threw on my jersey, ‘unlucky’ number 13. I didn’t bother to button up my Jersey just yet as I exited the bathroom with one final look in the mirror; the black and orange theme of my ‘oilers’ uniform always made me smile, to find my socks, they reached all the way to my knees. Covering the skin my pants didn’t. Shoving my converse on my feet I finally rejoined everyone in the living room. Jimmy must have used my mom’s bathroom because he was in a clean pair of shorts, and a slightly over sized t-shirt.

“You two off already?” Mom asked from her position at the dining room table, huddled over her cup of coffee.

“Yeah, we’ve got to meet up with the gang Ma.” I sighed, picking up my backpack and slinging it over my shoulder. “Can you wash my practice clothes please? I’ll be home tonight after the games. I’m gonna stick around and watch Zack’s.”

“I’ll throw them in the wash, good luck today hunny.”

“Thanks Ma.” I walked over to kiss her cheek, Jimmy grabbed my keys from where he dropped them last night and already had my equipment bag slung over his shoulder.

“See Ya Ms. C!”

“Bye Jimmy.” She laughed, as the two of us exited the apartment and headed down the stairs.

“You up for some coffee?” I questioned, pulling my wallet from my bag as we neared a doughnut shop.

“Ugh Yes! Please!”

I laughed, shaking my head as we entered the doughnut shop, ordering one large coffee, for Jimmy extra sugar, and cream and a large hot chocolate with cream, and whipped cream for me, as well as a toasted plain bagel with cream cheese; which we’d share on our walk towards school.

“Thanks Quinn!” Jimmy sighed happily taking a sip of his coffee, draping his arm over my shoulders as we talked.

“No Prob Jim.” I smiled up at him, nursing my own mug. “Least I can do, thanks for this morning.”

He smiled down at me. “What are friends for?” He asked, before ripping off a piece of bagel to shove into his mouth.

“Apparently, steal each others food!” I laughed, shoving him lightly before I just leaned happily into his embrace enjoying the comfortable silence as we walked to school; only the sounds of us slurping our drinks to disrupt it.