Sequel: Fallen Embers

The Fire

Pisces Rule and Aquarius Drool

They returned to Oakland where things went pretty much the same way through out the rest of January. Sabrina was at the studio by 10am with her band while Green Day began their day at noon. Both bands stopped for a lunch break around 3pm. Sometimes they ordered take out and other times they cooked for themselves. Then after the meal they all played around outside for a bit. The go-carts were usually brought out and they would race around or rather crash into things, Tre had already been the ER for stitches. One day Sabrina's band actually got Green Day to play basketball.

After playtime was over, both bands would go back to work. Sabrina's band got done for the day usually around 6 or 7pm, while Green Day went on through til 9 or 10pm. Though sometimes if they were on a roll they would go later. Sabrina would get home and get dinner around and after eating herself she would leave a homemade TV dinner for Tre so he could eat when he got home. Sabrina would then go upstairs and watch tv until she fell asleep. Her husband would sometimes wake her when he came to bed for some loving and some nights he didn't wake her up, but rather just cuddled up to her back and hug her until he fell asleep.

This schedule that they developed continued on through the rest of January and into February. One day at the studio, Sabrina bridged the question to Tre, Mike, Billie Joe and Jason if they would do a favor for her. Her song Travelin' Thru had also been nominated for an Oscar, and she had to perform the song live on the live telecast as did the 2 other songs nominated. The song was acoustic and she thought it would put a interesting spin on it with the members of Green Day and herself playing it. Upon discussing it amongst themselves, they agreed but only if they could choose which instruments they could use. With a raised eyebrow, she agreed. Toby made the arraignments with the Academy for credentials and such, but asked that the fact Green Day was play be kept a secret from the press. The Academy knew a good thing when it saw it and readily agreed.

Sabrina and the guys took a couple days to work on the song. Tre decided that instead of drums, he wanted to play bongos. Mike wanted to play the banjo part, so Sabrina picked the acoustic bass instead. Jason picked the guitar while Billie Joe chose to play the dobro. The five musicians worked in Green Day's studio space to practice. It only took a few times of hearing the song for the talented musicians to be able to put their own spin of the song. By the end of the second day, they had a tight version going on that would knock the socks off everybody.

February continued along and one day at the studio Sabrina walked in on Tre discussing her and Billie's upcoming birthdays with Aide and Mike. Upon entering the room the three friends quickly looked away and changed the discussion topic to something else. Sabrina shook her head and walked away to find Billie to see if he knew what was going on. Billie was outside smoking a cigarette when she finally found him.

"Hey, what the hell is all the secrecy about around here. You would think that the president or something was coming around."

Billie Joe chuckled at the thought of George W. Bush showing up at the studios to here his band's music. He took another drag from his cigarette, "It's about our birthdays coming up. A day separates the dates so they are planning a combined party on the 18th for us." he said as he exhaled the smoke.

"Oh well that explains why when I interrupted Tre, Adie and Mike talking they looked as though they got caught with their hands in a cookie jar." she smiled.

"Yup, that would be it. They usually plan something for my birthday, but now I have to share with you." he said as he stuck his tongue out at the older woman.

She responded with giving the singer a shove. "Well, Pisces rule and Aquarius drool."

"Rule my ass."

"What ass." she retorted with a wink.

"What you don't like my ass? Damn, every time I show it, the girls scream." he said while turning to look at the ass in question.

The blonde snorted with laughter as she tried to keep a straight face. "Oh My God, Becky. Look at her butt. It's so big." she intoned in a valley girl like accent. That got Billie laughing and shaking his head as he snubbed out his smoke and walked back inside.

The bands had the days of Billie and Sabrina's birthdays off, so every one could enjoy the party. Billie Joe's 34th birthday came and Tre and Sabrina watched the boys so that Adie and Billie could have an uninterrupted night alone. When Sabrina dropped the boys off the next day a very hung over Billie was trying to drink a cup of coffee and not grimace at the noise that seemed to follow Jake and Joey where ever they went.

Sabrina felt bad for him and went in search for aspirin to help with the hangover. The search proved fruitful when she opened a cupboard that had band-aids and other first aid items. She pulled out the bottle of aspirin, opened it up and shook out 3 tablets. She replaced the bottle to it's original spot and moved over to sit down next to Billie, who had his head down on the table top. She opened his hand and placed the tablets in his palm and moved his head upright so he could swallow the pills.

"Thanks" he muttered after taking a sip of his coffee and tossing back the pills. "I have been informed by my wife that you and I are to hang out together so we are out of everyone's way today."

Sabrina looked at the miserable man next to her and wondered if he would even survive the day. "So, if we are stuck together, any idea of what you want to do to pass the time?"

"Actually I thought about going to the studio and maybe you and I can write a little music. That is a good way to pass the time until we are allowed back into our homes to get ready for tonight."

"Sounds like a plan, Stan. What time can we return?"

"6pm" Adie answered as she walked into the kitchen. "The party starts at 8pm"

"Okay, Boss." Sabrina said while giving a military salute to the younger woman. "Well, I'm going to go home to my husband and have pre-birthday sex as he is calling it. Billie swing by and pick me up when you are ready to go to the studio."

"Ok, I'll call before I come over, I don't want to see any more of Tre naked than I have to."

"Ass" Sabrina muttered as she walked out of the Armstrong kitchen and out of the house to her truck. She thought about Tre's announcement of 'Pre-Birthday Sex' upon her return to their home. She and Tre behaved themselves since the boys and Frankito spent the night. Tre walked his little boy home while Sabrina delivered her cargo to the Armstrong house so they would have the house to themselves again. Before she knew it, she was pulling into her own driveway and with a quick flick of her wrist, she shut off the truck and started walking toward the house to receive her Pre-Birthday Sex.

Two hours later she and Billie were in his Ford Fairlane driving toward 880 studios. They talked about nothing in particular as they drove toward their destination. The radio played a old time country station softly in the background as they talked. A particular song started to play and it caught Sabrina's ear. She reached over and turned the radio knob so that the music filled the car. "I love Merle Haggard" she said with a shrug of her shoulders when Billie looked at her turning up the volume. Billie looked again as she started to sing along with the lyrics.

The warden led a prisoner down the hallway to his doom
I stood up to say good-bye like all the rest
And I heard him tell the warden just before he reached my cell
'Let my guitar playing friend do my request. ' (Let him... )
Sing me back home with a song I used to hear
Make my old memories come alive
Take me away and turn back the years
Sing Me Back Home before I die


It was Sabrina's turn to be surprised as Billie joined her in the chorus. She smiled as he sang the melody, so she sailed up to sing the harmony. They pulled up to a stop light and the car next to them was filled with teenagers who looked at the pair funny as they sang the old country song.

I recall last Sunday morning a choir from 'cross the street
Came to sing a few old gospel songs
And I heard him tell the singers 'There's a song my mama sang.
Can I hear once before we move along? '

Sing me back home, the song my mama sang
Make my old memories come alive
Take me away and turn back the years
Sing Me Back Home before I die

Sing Me Back Home before I die


The song ended and they fell into a comfortable silence. They pulled up to another stop light and Sabrina turned to look at Billie when he started to speak. "My mom played old country songs like that when my dad was still alive. Some of my earliest memories were sitting around a record player with mom and dad." he smiled sadly at the memory in his mind.

Sabrina placed her hand on his arm and gave a it a squeeze. "I understand what you mean. Except, my dad died when I was just 2, so what I remember was my mom and grandparents sitting around singing church hymns at the piano. I loved to listen to them all sing as Grandma played. They all were singers, and when I became old enough, I got to join in." she said as she smiled at her own memory.

"I never heard you mention your family before except when you talked about wearing the wedding bands around your neck."

She moved her hand from his arm as she paused to look out the side window. He wondered what was wrong when she didn't turn back towards him. He stole a glance at her and saw that she still staring out of the window. He placed his hand on her arm and she turned back toward him. "My family died quite suddenly when I was 12. Actually my cousin's family died at the same time. It was only sheer luck that Chris was 6 years old and not feeling good that day. So I offered to stay home while the rest of the families when on a trip."

Billie snuck another look at her and she was looking straight ahead. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

She sighed as she turned to look at Billie. "No it's okay. You know it's been over almost 33 years since I lost them and I still miss Mom." She brought her hand up and rubbed her eyes. "It gets really bad around Christmas time, Mom's birthday was on Christmas Eve. We had a family tradition every year on her birthday." The woman smiled at remembering the thought.

"We would get up that morning which was exciting because it was Mom's birthday. Every year was the same thing until they died. Like clockwork the same storyline was followed. Grandpa would put up Mom's Christmas tree, he and Mom would then fight and Mom would cry. Finally we would get the lights on it and then we would get ready to take Mom out to dinner. Mom loved Chinese so we went to this little place on Baltimore Pike. I loved the Chinese tea and always felt so grownup because it was the only time I was allowed to drink tea. After dinner we would go to Christmas Eve service at church. Then we would go home and eat the Carvel's ice cream cake that we got for her every year and then we would decorate the tree. She had so many ornaments that each year she would do a theme tree. When it all said and done, I would finally get to bed and try to do to sleep. God I was so young." she sighed.

"Wow." was all the Billie could say.

"You know that this last Christmas was the first time since they died that I actually enjoyed the holidays? Besides the getting married part, I mean what I really enjoyed was being part of a large family gathering at the holidays. I don't think I ever got to really thank you for that Billie." she leaned over and placed a kiss on his cheek. "Thank You."

He smiled at her gesture and thought about what he had said about her family. "Have you ever written anything about your family?"

"You mean have I ever written my version of 'Wake Me UP When September Ends'?" she said with wry smile. "No, I haven't it's one of those subjects that's too touchy for me. I tend to stay away from stuff like that because I never felt safe enough to drag though those feelings. I don't know what will happen when I allow the feelings out of the bottle that I keep them in."

"What was your Mom's name?" Billie asked.

"Lisa." she answered with a whisper.